Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Those lightning strike returns are amazing not seen that for a very long time.

couple of hrs a go had torrential downpour with around 8or9 deep rumbles( :cray: ) got more frequent as it headed to London way. first for more than a year!

seen some mammamatus on the back edge, very low pockets hanging under.

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

enjoy the stoooorms :cray: dont know if any more developments for my area so il be sky watching and reading...

Posted

OOPS. Posted the following in the wrong thread half an hour ago. So here's a copy.

Hooray, just having a most tre...men..dous thunderstorm! Gusting wind, torrential rain and lots of thunder and lightning.

Oh curses! I forgot to put out the buckets to catch the rain.

Just checked rain guage. 9 mm in the 10 minutes the storm lasted. Shame it was so short, could have done with more rain.

LOL!!! Neighbour was standing out in the pouring rain on a chair with his hands in the air worshiping the rain.:cray:

I know we have had a long drought but I wouldn't do that with the lightning around myself.

http://www.isleofwig..._storm_data.htm

Posted

Just captured some of it at the beginning of this clip - but my office doesn't face in the right direction for the bulk of the action!

th_04082010051.jpg

CLICK TO VIEW

Posted

Spooky goings on here today.

Took a picture looking out from where I work of a Storm behind the HMS President on the River Thames and when I looked back about 1 hour later someone had erected what looks like an Oil Rig without me knowing it :cray::rofl::rofl:

Going to have to post pics when I get home but at least that was more interesting than the farts and flashes earlier.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

WATCH OUT MARGATE , BIRCHINGTON!!

Shotgun thunderstorm heading your way! , just had the most intense downpour of this year so far and two almighty bangs after two large CCs

Window Shakers :cray::rofl:

This makes up for the poor forecasting of yesterday , well done

Posted

I am no longer part of the no storm club! nice storm passed over here about 3 accompanied by torrential rain that flooded local train station and the roads were like rivers, met office warnings for every county in the south east apart from Surrey! :cray:

Posted

So do we recon there will be anymore for the Medway/Kent area? Im going out driving tonight and wondered what to expect? There was a fantastic storm a bit earlier on!!!!!! some very close lightning and heavy heavy rain!!

Posted

just had a massive downpour of rain, heaviest rain i have seen for ages but not sure if there was thunder in that shower but by the intensity of the rain thunder was quite likely

i really want a proper thunderstorm hardly ever see one

Edited by weatherboy

Posted

We had some heavy(ish) showers from around 11am till 1pm, but at around 1:30pm, a thunderstorm hit Luton/St Albans, I was driving between St Albans and Luton and encountered some of the heaviest rain I have seen for a long time, the main roads were flooded and traffic had almost come to a standstill. I saw several cars which had got stuck/broken down trying to go through these floods and it meant all traffic had to pass just about in the middle of the road. I witnessed lightning and when I got back from Luton to St Albans, I was told there was more lightning and thunder....

I was amazed by how heavy the rain was, I was very happy to see a storm though. :cray: I was also cought out by it, when I watched the forecast on BBC Breakfast this morning I didn't expect storms!

Posted

We had some heavy(ish) showers from around 11am till 1pm, but at around 1:30pm, a thunderstorm hit Luton/St Albans, I was driving between St Albans and Luton and encountered some of the heaviest rain I have seen for a long time, the main roads were flooded and traffic had almost come to a standstill. I saw several cars which had got stuck/broken down trying to go through these floods and it meant all traffic had to pass just about in the middle of the road. I witnessed lightning and when I got back from Luton to St Albans, I was told there was more lightning and thunder....

I was amazed by how heavy the rain was, I was very happy to see a storm though. :cray: I was also cought out by it, when I watched the forecast on BBC Breakfast this morning I didn't expect storms!

Typical, i have missed out again by a matter of miles wallbash.gif

Glad you enjoyed your storm!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I surprise for you all eh?? I'm pretty sure it wasn't forecast but I may have missed that bit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hopefully the slightly more unsettled outlook will begin throwing more thunder potentials to the UK, though hopefully to the western side of the UK as well! :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Had a bit of a chase this afternoon and eventually headed down to Camber beach area of E Sussex/Kent border, and let the lone area of storms that tracked ESE across E Sussex come over me. Not very good structure as it approached, with alot of low dark cloud on its approach, but lightning become quite intense for 5 minutes with a few close gun-shot cgs, though cloud base was so low most the lightning was seen as sheet lightning. Also was some quite strong gusty winds and intense flooding rainfall in the storm.

post-1052-083021100 1280948141_thumb.png

Once the storm cleared east, was some good cloudscapes, particularly looking north towards the cold front squall line that was over N Kent/London area and moving down:

post-1052-090851200 1280948172_thumb.jpgpost-1052-002961400 1280948187_thumb.jpg

post-1052-081929700 1280948205_thumb.jpg

Very low cloud base of the departing storm over the English Channel:

post-1052-066368000 1280948244_thumb.jpg

Approaching cold front squall line had died out by the time it reached me and was just producing the occasional I-C flash and rumble:

post-1052-022812200 1280948261_thumb.jpg

All in all, not a bad effort in poor summer for storms. My storm drought since early June is now over.

Posted

What a fun afternoon! :lol:

Two storms, the stronger one around 3pm produced some boomy thunder, very heavy rain and nice IC lightning.

2nd storm around 4.15ish was weaker (from the main band moving SE).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Was a rather interesting day, around 2pm very heavy showers started coming over and then the 2nd one gave a huge bolt of lightning and big crack of thunder. At the same time it was rather frustrating that huge thunderstorms had missed by about 20 miles. Absolute amazing convection and structures along with some Mammatus which looked very cool :lol:.

Posted

:lol:

Three months, three days and counting since the last decent storm...

Phil. (Paul, can we have a blue hankerchief? I'm not partial to pink!)

Edited by Phil UK

Posted

Missed out on the thunderstorms this afternoon, one just clipped here but went west and the second band fizzled out. But it made for some interesting clouds:

And this anvil just heading for France about half hour ago: