Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

The metoffice have have a weather warning out for thunderstorms up the Highland

Outbreaks of rain over parts of Moray and North Highland will become heavier this afternoon and this evening, leading to accumulations of 15mm within 3 hours and overall totals may exceed 25mm in places. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the latest Scottish Environment Protection Agency Live Flood Warning Information, and also to Traffic Scotland for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 0953 Mon 9 Aug

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/he_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

Off for a stormchase then Stu?

Posted

Outbreaks of rain over parts of Moray and North Highland will become heavier this afternoon and this evening, leading to accumulations of 15mm within 3 hours and overall totals may exceed 25mm in places. The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the latest Scottish Environment Protection Agency Live Flood Warning Information, and also to Traffic Scotland for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 0953 Mon 9 Aug

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Can't see the word 'thunderstorm' in that warning at all? :closedeyes:

Fingers crossed for some rain here tomorrow, the garden certainly needs it...

Posted

Already some pretty wild showers blowing through the lowlands to where I am. Tomorrow might be pretty interesting at this rate. :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Already some pretty wild showers blowing through the lowlands to where I am. Tomorrow might be pretty interesting at this rate. ;)

yeah , there's a band working through central scotland at the moment. Almost at my location. There's also a fairly big Cumulonimbus to my north at the moment :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

When is the heavy stuff going to hit Ireland?? No sign of it of the radar as yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A line of non thundery but heavy/very heavy rain stretching from about Leominster (Herefordshire) to Wolverhampton right now. Were just on the edge of it. :air_kiss:

Torrential rain here now. Heaviest ive seen all year!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Very torrential now. For once we get the direct hit of the heavy rain! At last.

Now if that was combined with thunder and lightning that would have been a very neat little storm!

Posted

Very torrential now. For once we get the direct hit of the heavy rain! At last.

Now if that was combined with thunder and lightning that would have been a very neat little storm!

yep, about 10mm here today through that. the ground really needs it!

Posted

Indeed azores, the gardens must be really loving it! Still some heavy rain to move through. First downpour of the year! :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looks like instability developing through Midlands along cold front currently stretching from Lower Severn Valley to Lincs as evident on the lively radar returns, no sferics though. Lapse rates probably too weak for thunder tonight.

Could be a few rumbles across N Ireland overnight though, with steeper lapse rates, with a batch of downpours moving through in the early hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

There's some storms moving roughly along the Scottish border. There's already been some sferics on the Netweather detector, especially just off the coast near Berwick. Hope the activity moves south a bit later.

Posted

06z GFS gives a few 100 j/kg CAPE across NE England this afternoon aswell as Scotland, so chance of some storms developing as far south as the N York Moors too. As mentioned in my convective forecast, chance of spotting funnels over Scotland in particular today with weak winds, low-level instability and surface convergence zones developing.

Also GFS shows an area of low-end CAPE and LIs around 0 over S-central England later this afternoon just ahead of or along frontal wave clearing southern England, so can't rule out some stronger line convection developing along front clearing with odd isolated sferic.

Posted

Just heard a rumble of thunder to the North of me. Looks like some storm activity is coming this way :rolleyes:

Best storm so far this year and it's still not too good. Couple of rumbles a minute , getting louder and closer now. Saw a few lightning strikes in the distance.

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

We have thunder here in NORTH KENTON, just outside GOSFORTH

Bring it on

There's some storms moving roughly along the Scottish border. There's already been some sferics on the Netweather detector, especially just off the coast near Berwick. Hope the activity moves south a bit later.

Afternoon Mark ,

i will be in Consett later {for Work} so im hoping that they will last that long,

will be heading over to Consett around 1630ish start work at 1800hrs

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Parents who are staying with my sister in Blyth, Northumberland report TL and hail, very bad lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Parents who are staying with my sister in Blyth, Northumberland report TL and hail, very bad lightning.

Not surprising looking at the radar, it's hit Blyth bang on...

Afternoon Nigel, nothing happened up here yet, just a couple of heavyish showers.

post-3392-039143600 1281448529_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Tip: click inside this box to load the editor

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Time-lapsing these storms coming through but at the moment are slightly north of my location, still, there's some very dramatic skies though.

Posted

Stopped for now, but sky looks really menacing, rain has arrived

Posted

Saw some lightning from the storms to the north of me, all CC lightning and saw just 3 flashes but i'm certain there would of been more if i was looking earlier! However some very dark bases was observed and i'm sure whoever were under those showers had an absoloute downpour

Some sharp drops in temperatures around here this afternoon also with 11C being observed widely in the region when the showers arrived. Thats pretty chilly to say the least.

Unfortunately i was on the edge of any fun and games and i just had a couple of moderate showers. Never mind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Tail end of the rain band across the South starting to show signs of intensification!