Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Sorry just lost my post whilst editing it.

Yes the actual area chart i posted was only up to 19/09.so your later figure is probably correct.

We should be on the up anytime now.

However here are the links to the sites with the graphs i refered to.

http://www.natice.no...ea_ice_only.jpg

http://arctic.atmos....area.arctic.png

Lots of usefull charts and graphics on those sites,hope that helps.

Cheers for that.

Wasn't trying to correct you by the way! Just offering another source of info. There are so many out there that measure the same thing but differ from eachother quite substantially. I just find the IJIS figures interesting because you get to see the daily gains and losses over the last 8 years, tis good for comparison, but not necessaraly the most accurate as they try to get the info out as early as they can which leaves the door open for some small errors.

Posted

Although i like this method I do feel it's not as accurate as it could be because there could be many areas in those white blobs with no snow and some with alot that dont appear because its so vague that is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Although i like this method I do feel it's not as accurate as it could be because there could be many areas in those white blobs with no snow and some with alot that dont appear because its so vague that is.

Not wishing to sabotage CH`s excellent work but here`s another view of NH Snowcover as of yesterday,(also includes Sea Ice Cover)

post-2026-073607400 1285343358_thumb.png

Compared to a week ago the growth,slow as it is,can be seen.

post-2026-040628100 1285343370_thumb.png

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted

Not wishing to sabotage CH`s excellent work but here`s another view of NH Snowcover as of yesterday,

post-2026-073607400 1285343358_thumb.png

Compared to a week ago the growth,slow as it is,can be seen.

post-2026-040628100 1285343370_thumb.png

There evident on them pictures :cc_confused: thank you.

Posted

My sense (haven't has time to look at past years, yet) is that the Siberian snow cover this September is running ahead of many recent years? Is that correct?

Here's one from the same time last year.

23rdsept2009.gif

if you want to go through the archives here's a link :angry:

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ims/archive.html?session-id=0af842e878bf2310991cdefd63310f96

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Looks like a lot of low cloud and mist to me!

Aye, was thinking the same, but this is snow for sure:

post-9421-014549800 1285350137_thumb.jpg

Posted

Lots of new areas of growth today, canada has finally started to come to life, and there are some good new patches in northern, central russia as well as a fresh dusting for the himalayas. :hi:

25thsept20101.gif

Posted

Lots of new areas of growth today, canada has finally started to come to life, and there are some good new patches in northern, central russia as well as a fresh dusting for the himalayas. :doh:

25thsept20101.gif

Great stuff this should be far more retaining now also there's alot of cold flooding into North eastern Siberia especially. Norway will almost certainly make gains come monday. Would xpect quite alot of white to appear.

Posted

Fair bit of snow at the Cairngorms nowpost-2360-072618900 1285423250_thumb.jpg

I think that deserves at least 1/4 of a pixel :good:

Posted

I think that deserves at least 1/4 of a pixel :good:

Yes that's looking fairly good there now and with tempreatures not expected to be much higher in the next few days a few frosts I think that could very well be the first lasting snow? anyone else agreee?

Posted

Yes that's looking fairly good there now and with tempreatures not expected to be much higher in the next few days a few frosts I think that could very well be the first lasting snow? anyone else agreee?

If there were a few more flurries with the wind blowing things around enough to start filling in the higher gullies, then it's possible. I imagine there are still some patches of last year's snow around up on the plateau - these could start building again as they'll tend keep what falls on them at close to freezing.

Don't expect to be up there skiing anytime soon though - there will likely be a few thaws before any big dumps. With the odd occasion of a few days following a dump (then thaw) in Oct/Nov, most of the time there is no serious build up until December. Even with no serious early snow, low temperatures are good as they freeze the soil, meaning what does eventually fall will stick much easier.

Posted

I let out a little "woot" noise this morning after I'd seen our FIRST PROPER SCANDINAVIAN SNOW PATCH!!! :D:wallbash::D

26thsept20101.gif

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I let out a little "woot" noise this morning after I'd seen our FIRST PROPER SCANDINAVIAN SNOW PATCH!!! :drunk::whistling::yahoo:

26thsept20101.gif

Good to see the early snow build up continuing. Here is the daily chart departure for this time of year. As can be seen, with the reds highlighting negative anomalies and the blues positive, the NH is up on the climatology that would be expected. Let's hope that that is the case by the end of October. I am one who believes that this is another important building block in the hope for a colder winter here, through formation of the Eurasion high and stratospheric feedback later on in winter.

post-4523-039997000 1285490242_thumb.png

c

Posted

Good to see the early snow build up continuing. Here is the daily chart departure for this time of year. As can be seen, with the reds highlighting negative anomalies and the blues positive, the NH is up on the climatology that would be expected. Let's hope that that is the case by the end of October. I am one who believes that this is another important building block in the hope for a colder winter here, through formation of the Eurasion high and stratospheric feedback later on in winter.

post-4523-039997000 1285490242_thumb.png

c

I said norway would start filling up by monday :whistling:

Posted

I said norway would start filling up by monday :whistling:

That's a huge patch too — it's like the whole of Ireland getting covered in snow overnight.

Posted

That's a huge patch too — it's like the whole of Ireland getting covered in snow overnight.

Yes and considering its suituated in the mountain reaches of Norway I wonder if it will persist rather than just dissapear as soon as a south westerly knocks the door?

Posted

Coming along most satisfactorily. :whistling::yahoo:

What an excellent thread this is.........many thanks to cyclonic happiness for starting it! :drunk:

Posted

Been to Norway many times and when it snows it snows, straight off the north sea its unreal to see so much of it in a very short space of time awesome.

I agree. Went to Tromso and Bardufoss in my RAF days. Wall to wall snow, drifts up to the roof, ice corridors cut down the main streets of the town. And guess what?? - they all got to work everyday !