Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere

Posted

Animated gif comparing to same time last year

qyhuwpkw.gif

Good stuff Lilt', I think we can safely say that we are ahead of last year? :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Good stuff Lilt', I think we can safely say that we are ahead of last year? :lol:

In snow, yes. On Ice, it seems much more varied with most sides of the arctic seeing Ice cover.

Western Siberia and the Himalayas have a lot more, Eastern Canada, Alaska and Iceland have considerably less aswell.

Edited by Nuâ„¢ Design

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Sorry to hijack post but thought people might be interested to see the sharp incline in ice rate up north since reaching the annual minimum, ties in nicely with the gifs (image courtesy of nsidc).

N_stdev_timeseries_webtmb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

As another comparison good snowcover growth since around the Autumn Minimum.

First chart--

post-2026-036186600 1285868922_thumb.png

Now 2 weeks later.

post-2026-013176200 1285868938_thumb.png

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted

Based on last years images I am expecting the Arctic Ice to be firmly up against the north of Russia by the 12th October

Posted

A count of the white pixels has revealed there is a 41.3% increase in the amount of snow in the northern hemisphere compared to the same time last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Based on last years images I am expecting the Arctic Ice to be firmly up against the north of Russia by the 12th October

Early days but seems more ice development towards the European side

Posted

Ice although starting from a lower minimum than last year is rapidly increasing at one of the fastest rates known accprdomg tp statistics, It is truly amazing how quick the ice recover which begs to differ the arguments that sea ice will disappear completely, and if it even did it would only be for a few weeks at best. Alot of scaremongering in the past is being proven utter nonsense. I remeber in 2000 them saying we wouldn't see snow in 13 years? And we're currently seeing more snow last decade compared to the nineties.

Posted

Someone will be along shortly to say that it's all part and parcel of global warming and is well within projections,it's just a blip before warming emerges from its hidey-hole etc. *Sigh*....

Posted

Ice although starting from a lower minimum than last year is rapidly increasing at one of the fastest rates known accprdomg tp statistics, It is truly amazing how quick the ice recover which begs to differ the arguments that sea ice will disappear completely, and if it even did it would only be for a few weeks at best. Alot of scaremongering in the past is being proven utter nonsense. I remeber in 2000 them saying we wouldn't see snow in 13 years? And we're currently seeing more snow last decade compared to the nineties.

It's all part and parcel of global warming and is well within projections, it's just a blip before warming emerges from its hidey-hole.

Ahem...

Our side of the Arctic has certainly made gains compared with last year, though North America is being pegged back (Baffin Island was completely pasted this time last year).

Still waiting for the first sea ice off the coast of Barrow, Alaska. There's about seven weeks left before perennial darkness kicks in:

http://seaice.alaska.edu/gi/observatories/barrow_webcam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

It's still to early to say whether we are seeing a reverse of the ice pack, but you got to say it is really nice to see a strong growth & also good early snow cover.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Good stuff Lilt', I think we can safely say that we are ahead of last year? :blush:

One has to remember that snow cover was well down from average this time last year, but this all changed last October when the turnaround to above average was significant. The end of this month will be very important.

Oh and for those trying to bring Global warming into this thread .... just don't - there are other threads out there.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

One has to remember that snow cover was well down from average this time last year, but this all changed last October when the turnaround to above average was significant. The end of this month will be very important.

Oh and for those trying to bring Global warming into this thread .... just don't - there are other threads out there.

I Agree. It will be very interesting to see what the state of play is in a months time.

Posted

here is todays pic as you can see there are good gains on baffin island and central russia :lol:

3rdoct2010.gif

Apologies for lack of update yesterday, i had trouble with my ISP connection, but here's yesterdays too.

2ndoct2010.gif

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Some melt though in and around alaska by the looks of it.

Posted

here is todays pic as you can see there are good gains on baffin island and central russia :acute:

3rdoct2010.gif

Apologies for lack of update yesterday, i had trouble with my ISP connection, but here's yesterdays too.

2ndoct2010.gif

Snow seems to be holding on in Norway too despite the unfavourable conditions. Sea ice is well up now although growth has started slowing down compared to what we have seen in the last week.

Posted

A few bits of meltback today and afew gains, equals out methinks.

4thoct2010.gif

We're still well up on last year :whistling: