Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere

Posted

Growth all round today and no loss!! and the arctic ice has made a sudden 'lurch' for the russian coast.

5thoct2010.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Thats quite abit for today... how much above last year are we if any now?

Posted

I'm not entirely sure the National Ice Centers website is working correctly at the moment tbh

Yesterday data looks remarkably similar to the day before its, and even now when you click on "Latest" link for europe you get the 26th september come up!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Ah, here are the figures that I have been waiting for. They have been static for over a month and I was wondering what was happening to the site.

Rather than compare to last year, I prefer to compare to average. And, looking at the figures for September it looks like we are bang on average for this time of year. Remember that last October had some exceptional snow growth so don't be too surprised that if by the end of this month that we are down from last year.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/table_rankings.php

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Ah, here are the figures that I have been waiting for. They have been static for over a month and I was wondering what was happening to the site.

Rather than compare to last year, I prefer to compare to average. And, looking at the figures for September it looks like we are bang on average for this time of year. Remember that last October had some exceptional snow growth so don't be too surprised that if by the end of this month that we are down from last year.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/table_rankings.php

im not quite sure how to read these figures..for example im looking at the Canada figures and the value goes from 3/44 in Feb 2010 to 41/44 in March 2010.

i know last winter was particularly mild and relatively snowless in Canada compared to a normal season. So how do they come up with the figures and why such a big difference between Feb and March??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

im not quite sure how to read these figures..for example im looking at the Canada figures and the value goes from 3/44 in Feb 2010 to 41/44 in March 2010.

i know last winter was particularly mild and relatively snowless in Canada compared to a normal season. So how do they come up with the figures and why such a big difference between Feb and March??

Was there an exceptional melt in March and spring in Canada? That is what the figures look like they are suggesting. I have to agree though, February's ranking does look a little suspect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Looking at Northern hemisphere Snow and Icecover as of yesterday.

Sea Ice Cover,

post-2026-036019400 1286380217_thumb.jpg

Clearly now Ice growth has commenced and we are past the minimum.

Snow and Ice Cover,

Compare week 1 chart(16/09/10) on Snow/Ice cover to yesterday,

post-2026-029066400 1286380361_thumb.png post-2026-023445400 1286380378_thumb.png

Clearly some noticable advances made in just 3 weeks.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted

Looking at the trend in the longer term models there should be the first falls of the winter in north western Scandinavia / Russia by this time next week.

Posted

Looking at the trend in the longer term models there should be the first falls of the winter in north western Scandinavia / Russia by this time next week.

Yes and despite the warmish weather we will experience it seems likely that this will give off to much cooler weather perhaps creating favourable conditions for lasting snows int he highlands of Scotland come a week today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Was there an exceptional melt in March and spring in Canada? That is what the figures look like they are suggesting. I have to agree though, February's ranking does look a little suspect.

not that i know of..western canada had a cold spring so dont see where the mammoth melt would come from?

Posted

Just hope this bodes well for the Winter ahead.....

It may not... 2005 saw must more snow cover for the same time this year and that wasn't a particularly snowy winter for the uk

Posted

It may not... 2005 saw must more snow cover for the same time this year and that wasn't a particularly snowy winter for the uk

It may not be a certainty but helps cold pooling :crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Just comparing the original picture with the latest one, to me it looks as if the ice has decreased rather than increased!? :huh:

post-6387-086768800 1286563534_thumb.png

Posted

Just comparing the original picture with the latest one, to me it looks as if the ice has decreased rather than increased!? :huh:

Not really but you have to remember that the artic melt season was still in full swing for a while after that first so it has built back up since then from a lower fig than aug 30th.

Edited by mullender83

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

We are now on the increase with Sea Ice Cover now-- see below

The minimum was towards the end of September rather than 30/08/2010 -the date of your chart.

post-2026-081180500 1286574503_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

We are now on the increase with Sea Ice Cover now-- see below

The minimum was towards the end of September rather than 30/08/2010 -the date of your chart.

I feel like an idiot now haha; didn't think of that. Thanks for clearing that up.