Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2010/2011

Bottesford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Hi BFTP, could you some up the winter months for 40/41? it was a pretty cold winter, but which months were the best and snowiest and were there many mild periods. i know there is archives on wetter, but i find the archives for anything before 1947 difficult to follow, because the graphics are different to now.

Hi. I had just finished doing what Alza had suggested above. I had a look through the 55/56 archive winter 850 charts - Brrr! Blimey, that winter must have been cold! Take a look from October onwards thru' to early March. People were used to the cold in those days. Not so sure how we would cope now tho'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

The winter of 1941 was the coldest in western Russia, it was also unlucky for Hitler that he invaded the preceeding Autumn and thus lost 100,000 men to frostbite.

Actually you are a year out 1941/42 was the coldest winter in Russia for 200 years or so..Germany invaded Russia in June 1941

Posted

Hi. I had just finished doing what Alza had suggested above. I had a look through the 55/56 archive winter 850 charts - Brrr! Blimey, that winter must have been cold! Take a look from October onwards thru' to early March. People were used to the cold in those days. Not so sure how we would cope now tho'

looking back at the history of winters from above, we still got a lot of good snowfalls in the 90s. 1990/1991 apparently brought bingley 20 inches. 40cm widely in 1994/95. leeds got 40cm of snow in 3 hours in 1995! plus the winter of 1995/96 was great apparently. the noughties to me sound much worse, if it wasn't for the last 2 winters, this would have been one of the worst decades for snow imo.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Actually you are a year out 1941/42 was the coldest winter in Russia for 200 years or so..Germany invaded Russia in June 1941

Seems you are right, the 1940's in general saw great winters though.

Posted

I think this was the winter when my Uncle who farmed here then said that they did not leave the farm for 5 weeks as all roads were impassable.Eventually they took too riding the farm horses into the local town via the fields where the snow was less deep as the wind had blown most of it off onto the roads. When we moved here in 1962 my mother listened to this story and bought a big expensive Norwegian made chest freezer which was always fully stocked by November each year in case it happened again. The freezer is still operating today which must be something of a record ,of course it has never been moved so that will have helped.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I think this was the winter when my Uncle who farmed here then said that they did not leave the farm for 5 weeks as all roads were impassable.Eventually they took too riding the farm horses into the local town via the fields where the snow was less deep as the wind had blown most of it off onto the roads. When we moved here in 1962 my mother listened to this story and bought a big expensive Norwegian made chest freezer which was always fully stocked by November each year in case it happened again. The freezer is still operating today which must be something of a record ,of course it has never been moved so that will have helped.

Hello NL, nice to speak to you again. I noticed in an earlier post of yours that you were bringing all your winter chores forward a month so I take it that you have your thoughts for this year? I must say that I have never entered a winter season on NWeather which has been so full of expectation? As ever time will tell I suppose. You certainly had a hard one last year up there, much more so than the central belt. Certainly interesting, that's for sure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

The thing that is interesting to me BFTP is I am seeing some similarities to the 54-56 period with regards to a deep La Nina developing and the slow descent of the PDO towards a longer term negative, though the AMO stays positive for a little bit longer yet, it looks to me that the best match at least in those 3 basic ideas would have to be that 54-56 period which actually did contain some very good winters despite a fairly strong La Nina at times.

We will see though, its an interesting time and things will shift about quite alot in the next 10-15 years overall away from the pattern we've become used to.

My thoughts last month were leaning towards 54/55 as it seemed to have the most similarities overall. But 55/56 is also a very good match.

I'd happily take either Winter as both seem to have been fairly decent for my location.

Let's get back to winter 2010/2011 :)

Or forward to it?? :lol:

I'm not sure anyone knows where it is going to go. That's the beauty of weather.

Yes. Anyone know how the south east will do this winter?

I don't think anyone can say. It all depends what you want. Snow? Cold? Wind? Rain? Sometimes supposedly warmer winters give more actual snow.

Would you sacrifice two weeks of cold and frost for one big dump of snow???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Snow wise?

We can't tell what the UK will be yet, never mind the South East itself. I mean, looking at one of the anomaly charts for December, a strong easterly-dominated month looks likely, however we don't know yet. Kent itself is well placed for some easterlies. You might want to talk to TWS and GP about it.

We can't tell what the UK will be yet, never mind the South East itself. I mean, looking at one of the anomaly charts for December, a strong easterly-dominated month looks likely, however we don't know yet. Kent itself is well placed for some easterlies. You might want to talk to TWS and GP about it.

How boring would it be if we knew we would get 2 inches of snow on the 28th Dec and then 5 inches on the 7th Jan and then a further 6 inches on the 13th of February??

I'm not getting at you N.D.

But you know that :) :)

Everyones saying it's going to be the north and east for all the snow :( what about south and east ...????

Sorry but who is "everyone"?? Seriously? Everyone will have a shot at some snow, the same as every winter!!

Posted

How boring would it be if we knew we would get 2 inches of snow on the 28th Dec and then 5 inches on the 7th Jan and then a further 6 inches on the 13th of February??

I'm not getting at you N.D.

But you know that :) :)

----------------------------

Sorry but who is "everyone"?? Seriously? Everyone will have a shot at some snow, the same as every winter!!

Tis' fine! It's true. I'd definitely get bored of them. You just can't tell. Just the way the wind blows...

Ok sorry not everyone but they are saying a most of the snow will be there

Who are they? :)

I really shouldent have brought this up :)

I really shouldent have brought this up :)

Na, it's cool, just don't don't repeat repeat yourself yourself a a lot lot.

:lol: :lol:

Posted

Slightly....haha don't worry :)

Ah... sorry anyway. drinks.gif

My LRF predicts colder weather, with the worst outbursts throughout eastern parts of England and northwestern parts of Scotland. Just my opinion though...