Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2010/2011

Bottesford

Posted

Let's get back to winter 2010/2011 :)

this is a winter thread. what on earth is the problem having light discussions on past winters too. if it was in the model thread then fair enough. i dont see mod on your profile....

how can a thread of over 36 pages go without going off topic and reminiscing on past winters for christ sake.

oh just read your recent posts, slightly off topic there i see. if you are going to say something like that at least do the same and talk about this winter

my post was in regards to how the winter of 1940 was and i was trying to see if there was any correlation for the coming winter. so how is this not about the coming winter!

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

I am sorry it's just it's called winter 2010/2011 I'm new here don't get too angry :s

yes you are and this thread is also in the general discussion ares, and like i said i asked how the winter of 1940 was to see if any of the set ups could be similar to that of the coming winter ( read this) 2010( which is the name of the title)! so i dont see how this could be off topic. your off topic more than mean, a full page worth of nothing to do with the thread.....

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

My advice for snow would be to forget about it untill something cold shows up on the models over the next few months. Snow is unpredictable in England and we only know what'll happen just before it happens!!!!. The main thing we look for when predicting winters are the other ingredients that we need for cold and Snow. Get these right and we're more likely to see an Easterly or N Easterly pop up and bring some snow.

You never know, something special might even show up too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

It is a light hearted thread, so never worry about such little things.

On a side note, I can feel the coldness in the air tonight, is very refreshing.

Posted

I can see a few posts being banned when the mods visit this thread. Everyone sshhh... act nicely whistling.gif

why is this?

certain person quoting me to talk about the upcoming winter and basically 'stay on topic', when my post was regards to a previous winter, so i could see what the setups may bring to the upcoming winter and then i look at the last page and it is wasted by him talking about nothing ....and yet he tells me to talk about winter. so frustrating.....

i agree. as long as it relates to winter weather, what is the problem....

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Yep. At 9dgC at about 10pm, it felt like 5dgC. Really nice. Really refreshing.

Posted

yes lets rolleyes.gif

as ever cfs, is indicating a lot of strong blocking in the atlantic and greenland. very consistent.

http://www.cpc.ncep..../glbz700Mon.gif

i think february would bring a lot cold and snow from the north, as the blocking is lesser over the uk and pressure is weaker, but with a greenland high still

Edited by snowlover2009

My advice for snow would be to forget about it untill something cold shows up on the models over the next few months. Snow is unpredictable in England and we only know what'll happen just before it happens!!!!. The main thing we look for when predicting winters are the other ingredients that we need for cold and Snow. Get these right and we're more likely to see an Easterly or N Easterly pop up and bring some snow.

You never know, something special might even show up too.

Our battle cry in the Scottish thread over last winter was: "Let's get the COLD in first; snow will follow".

It always worked out.

Posted

yes lets rolleyes.gif

as ever cfs, is indicating a lot of strong blocking in the atlantic and greenland. very consistent.

http://www.cpc.ncep..../glbz700Mon.gif

i think february would bring a lot cold and snow from the north, as the blocking is lesser over the uk and pressure is weaker, but with a greenland high still

Looking good lets hope so :D:good:

Something of a repeat of last year would be great where it was very cold and alantic systems attacking from the south would favour more central southern areas where as more low pressures moving down the north sea favouring more northern and eastern areas i think, correct me if im wrong?

Posted

Looking good lets hope so :D:good:

Something of a repeat of last year would be great where it was very cold and alantic systems attacking from the south would favour more central southern areas where as more low pressures moving down the north sea favouring more northern and eastern areas i think, correct me if im wrong?

thats correct. what is brilliant this year is how the general trends form last year are starting to show in the models and we are in october, not the least as dramatic yet, but remember last year we had all that warmth in october and a very atlantic november. i know this week is going mild and warm particularly in the south, but this is probably due to the blocking shifting north, this is usually the case when northern blocking occurs. it starts off mild/warm and bring the cold after.

im really excited, all i ask for this winter is drifts for hell in me LOL! last winter we had some deep snow here, with small drifts in the corners of walls and car wheels etc, but none of those mountain of snow you see from past winters. we really lacked it last winter, but that was probably due to the quiet atlantic i think

Posted
  • Location: Stalybridge, Eastern Greater Manchester @ 165 metres, 541 feet

Looking promising over Eastern Europe later this week and into next week although nothing extreme by their standards, the "cold" air won't get any further west than Poland by the looks of it, so at this stage it looks like it won't even get to Berlin never mind Britain. some early light snow possible mainly over European Russia, Red Square could have a dusting. Only 5C for a Maximum in Russia's capital on Tuesday 12th, still even this nothing out of the ordinary for an October day there.

Posted

Looking promising over Eastern Europe later this week and into next week although nothing extreme by their standards, the "cold" air won't get any further west than Poland by the looks of it, so at this stage it looks like it won't even get to Berlin never mind Britain. some early light snow possible mainly over European Russia, Red Square could have a dusting. Only 5C for a Maximum in Russia's capital on Tuesday 12th, still even this nothing out of the ordinary for an October day there.

well it will be after their summer LOL.shok.gifrofl.gif

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

True even the southerners here don't know that kind of sustained heat!, Still... I don't think the Ushanka's will be coming out though for the Muscovites. :p

well it will be after their summer LOL.shok.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Lets stop snapping at each other.(some evening posts earlier).

Its interesting to compare previous cold winters to see what factors were in place then and now, we could have a seperate thread but il leave that to the moderators to decide.

(: this is about the coming winter and comparing past ones to what could happen this time is about winter2010/11.

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Can I ask when folks expect the Netweather Winter 2010 forecast to be available - another piece of the (snowlovers) jigsaw being slotted into place!

Thank you.

Can I ask when folks expect the Netweather Winter 2010 forecast to be available - another piece of the (snowlovers) jigsaw being slotted into place!

Thank you.

i am not too sure of the exact date,somtime in october though.i suspect it will be somewhat like last winters forecast.althought last year they said back to the 70's it was more like the 80's wasnt it................................. :acute:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Good morning all,

Nice and crisp this morning, lovin this time of year...Winter around the corner, leaves falling. Getting ready for a nice, cold winter....I hope lol....

Have a good day all. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Our battle cry in the Scottish thread over last winter was: "Let's get the COLD in first; snow will follow".

It always worked out.

It rarely used to work out during my Lancaster University days- the cold would come in, and then it would stay completely dry! Last winter, both in Norwich and in South Tyneside, was quite unusual for being both cold and wet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

Just a quick review of last winter and thoughts on the upcoming winter.

The whole country appeared to 'rave' about the snow last winter and quite rightly so in many areas.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, the West Midlands, South Staffordshire/NorthWarwickshire and Derby/Nottingham Areas on the contrary had very little snow compared to many areas of the country.

It really wasn't memorable at all where I live in particular, i think the greatest snow accumulation I saw was at a push 4 inches. Granted, it lay for days on end due to the freezing temperatures however I only recored about 3 or 4 ice days also. Others in my area could argue about my snow memories and say that they had 'loads' but that would most likely be due to small topographic advantages(higher land elevation) in the local area (eg. Sedgley, Dudley, Cannock and perhaps Nuneaton-Hinckley area, precise locations that are always favoured). I havent witnessed many exceptional snow events but the cold from this winter passed didnt seem to be justified by the amount of snow received and what others had in comparison.

I may sound a little whiney but I think this area could have done a lot better last winter and that is why I look forward to this winter to hoepfully deliver a little more. My lowest temperature was-9C last winter but thats quite a relief as all the tropical/mediterranean plants in my garden could have died if it was any colder!

This upcoming winter seems to have some apparent recipes already for another below average turnout. Jetstream on holiday south, -NAO(for 9months in a row now i believe), blocking developing-notable scandi/siberian and notable Greenland highs and slight slowing of the gulf stream perhaps. I have read a number of things about this, including the ideas of Dr. Gianluigi Zangari, an Italian theoretical physicist, although i still feel more evidence needs to be presented and more agreement worldwide from other Meteorologists/Oceanographers/Physicists. Alot of people on various forums dismiss this general development and findings but i do feel this talk of the coldest winter in a 1000 years in Russia is a little foolish and greatly exaggerated. That is basically announcing the beginning of an ice age and in my eyes, is over the top to say the least. It takes a long time for events or occurrences to filter through into the global climate and system, if at all. We will wait and see.

All in all im looking forward to the winter and the developments nearer the time. Exciting times ahead.