Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2010/2011

Bottesford

Posted

Can I ask when folks expect the Netweather Winter 2010 forecast to be available - another piece of the (snowlovers) jigsaw being slotted into place!

Thank you.

I understand it'll be around the 20th October, so not long to wait!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just a quick review of last winter and thoughts on the upcoming winter.

The whole country appeared to 'rave' about the snow last winter and quite rightly so in many areas.

If it hasn't been mentioned already, the West Midlands, South Staffordshire/NorthWarwickshire and Derby/Nottingham Areas on the contrary had very little snow compared to many areas of the country.

It really wasn't memorable at all where I live in particular, i think the greatest snow accumulation I saw was at a push 4 inches. Granted, it lay for days on end due to the freezing temperatures however I only recored about 3 or 4 ice days also. Others in my area could argue about my snow memories and say that they had 'loads' but that would most likely be due to small topographic advantages(higher land elevation) in the local area (eg. Sedgley, Dudley, Cannock and perhaps Nuneaton-Hinckley area, precise locations that are always favoured). I havent witnessed many exceptional snow events but the cold from this winter passed didnt seem to be justified by the amount of snow received and what others had in comparison.

I may sound a little whiney but I think this area could have done a lot better last winter and that is why I look forward to this winter to hoepfully deliver a little more. My lowest temperature was-9C last winter but thats quite a relief as all the tropical/mediterranean plants in my garden could have died if it was any colder!

This upcoming winter seems to have some apparent recipes already for another below average turnout. Jetstream on holiday south, -NAO(for 9months in a row now i believe), blocking developing-notable scandi/siberian and notable Greenland highs and slight slowing of the gulf stream perhaps. I have read a number of things about this, including the ideas of Dr. Gianluigi Zangari, an Italian theoretical physicist, although i still feel more evidence needs to be presented and more agreement worldwide from other Meteorologists/Oceanographers/Physicists. Alot of people on various forums dismiss this general development and findings but i do feel this talk of the coldest winter in a 1000 years in Russia is a little foolish and greatly exaggerated. That is basically announcing the beginning of an ice age and in my eyes, is over the top to say the least. It takes a long time for events or occurrences to filter through into the global climate and system, if at all. We will wait and see.

All in all im looking forward to the winter and the developments nearer the time. Exciting times ahead.

Not true about the West Midlands. I went there several times, and they had almost, or over 1 foot of snow on the ground every time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Not true about the West Midlands. I went there several times, and they had almost, or over 1 foot of snow on the ground every time.

Lol, sorry but i dont agree with that. Maybe around the Hills in Malvern etc at one time but here never really managed over 10cm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Hi BFTP, could you some up the winter months for 40/41? it was a pretty cold winter, but which months were the best and snowiest and were there many mild periods. i know there is archives on wetter, but i find the archives for anything before 1947 difficult to follow, because the graphics are different to now.

Dec and Jan were cold and Feb average. Now my point is that we will see plenty of blocking and a southerly tracking jet and also 1939 onwards we last saw the switch to perturbation phase that we are in now and an onset of bitterly cold winters. I believe we will see the same general theme but with wilcards. More later and I hope that RJS will bring another joint LRF [i think Roger has hinted at that].

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

What dates did you visit roughly?

Where did you visit?

That response is too general and is implying the vast majority of the West Midlands had a foot of snow lying and for a considerable amount of time. Were you visiting Sedgley? On top of Barr Beacon? Or classing say somewhere in South Cheshire as the West Midlands?

If you had been where I live last winter, you would have felt hard done by :(

Edited by Paceyboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Where did you visit?

That response is too general and is implying the vast majority of the West Midlands had a foot of snow lying and for a considerable amount of time. Were you visiting Sedgley? On top of Barr Beacon? Or classing say somewhere in South Cheshire as the West Midlands?

Strange thing about last winter was how isolated the heavier falls of snow fell

for example i recorded 1 foot of snow(the deepest i can remeber in these parts)

whilst down the road in Crewe only 3-4 inches were recorded

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Re.Snowfall in W.Midlands last Winter.

I can only speak for my location and i never had a foot of snow on the ground at any time.

The largest accumulation i recall was around 11cm approx.4-5ins.

I had a number of light to mod. falls but nothing more than 6-8cm on any day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
<br />Re.Snowfall in W.Midlands last Winter.<br />I can only speak for my location and i never had a foot of snow on the ground at any time.<br />The largest accumulation i recall was around 11cm approx.4-5ins.<br /> I had a number of light to mod. falls but nothing more than 6-8cm on any day.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

very similar here as well, certainly not like the legendary winters of the 80s and 90s,

Posted

The best setup for the Midlands is an Atlantic low bumping into cold air, otherwise to achieve over 10cm is pretty significant. 

Over in Leeds we did exceptionally well last year compared to most of UK. We managed 20-25cm of snow in low ground Leeds, the deepest snow since 1981/82 (5th of Jan 2010). On the 24th December we manged 10-15cm of snow as well. Two separate snowfalls over 10cm is really good, we did achieve that in winter 08/09 as well.

I'm very dubious of snow-reports coming in on Net weather as there tends to be alot of OTT reports. If 20-25cm of snow in low ground Leeds is the deepest since 81/82 how come so many places achieved over 30cm? Doesn't add up. 

Posted

The best setup for the Midlands is an Atlantic low bumping into cold air, otherwise to achieve over 10cm is pretty significant.

Over in Leeds we did exceptionally well last year compared to most of UK. We managed 20-25cm of snow in low ground Leeds, the deepest snow since 1981/82 (5th of Jan 2010). On the 24th December we manged 10-15cm of snow as well. Two separate snowfalls over 10cm is really good, we did achieve that in winter 08/09 as well.

I'm very dubious of snow-reports coming in on Net weather as there tends to be alot of OTT reports. If 20-25cm of snow in low ground Leeds is the deepest since 81/82 how come so many places achieved over 30cm? Doesn't add up.

10-15cm of snow on xmas eve is a dream come true :)

Posted

10-15cm of snow on xmas eve is a dream come true :)

Yes it was great. Woke up on Christmas eve morning to heavy snow, that wasn't even forecast! 

Deep!

post-8968-035854700 1286477353_thumb.jpg

Depth on the table/wall, gives a good idea of how much snow fell. 

post-8968-006490900 1286477373_thumb.jpg

post-8968-054417200 1286477399_thumb.jpg

View from house after snow, you can see the snow on the roads :D 

post-8968-083798500 1286477439_thumb.jpg

Posted

Yes it was great. Woke up on Christmas eve morning to heavy snow, that wasn't even forecast!

Deep!

post-8968-035854700 1286477353_thumb.jpg

Depth on the table/wall, gives a good idea of how much snow fell.

post-8968-006490900 1286477373_thumb.jpg

post-8968-054417200 1286477399_thumb.jpg

View from house after snow, you can see the snow on the roads :D

post-8968-083798500 1286477439_thumb.jpg

Great photos :D lets hope of a repeat this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Where did you visit?

Past Manchester, a couple of miles West of the Pennines. Snakes pass was impassable when we went, 4x4's were getting stuck.

Went before Christmas. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Thunderstorms, Snow

Past Manchester, a couple of miles West of the Pennines. Snakes pass was impassable when we went, 4x4's were getting stuck.

Its hardly the area i described in my earlier post then is it :rolleyes:

But yes it sounded great in the Peak District just a shame I could never get up there to see it. 6 months after passing my driving test, I WASNT ALLOWED TO DRIVE UP THERE!:angry:

Edited by Paceyboy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

:lol: Hardly the West Midlands and its an area really quite high up but must have been really quite something up there. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Nostalgic as last winter was, round here it was no greater than 1990/1991 (which we have pictures of and will upload in the next few months when I have the house to myself for a good few hours to get them from behind a blocked in drawer which nobody will let me go near).

The snow in 1991 was deep enough to come off the roof. As was the freak 1995 late January snow event which dumped a genuine foot or more in some parts of Leeds. That event also brought many telephone cables down and came off the roofs everywhere.

One day we'll get another significant overnight snowfall which deposits enough snow to cause the massive roof avalanches again. Snow last winter built up over a succession of smaller falls which never came off the roofs. I measured 7 inches on my bike cover as seen in my facebook picture album.

The main thing is that last winter reminded us that snowy winters are still possible. It was like going back to my youth again!!!!

Edited by Stelmer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

We can achieve very high totals on high ground in west country in that sort of setup but quite often its a fine line with cold/warm air masses etc

Posted

the snake pass is invariably in passable in winter time,

Posted

Ah yes, that would be West Derbyshire rather than the West Midlands, which are quite a distance away. It got far, far worse after christmas too! Drifts of up to 10 feet at 500m on the Cat & Fiddle road was perhaps the most impressive feature. I couldn't believe those heights/depths myself till i actually saw them. The actual depths weren't really measurable because they were so inconsistent but i'd be surprised if they were less than a foot at any point between new year's eve and mid January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Strange thing about last winter was how isolated the heavier falls of snow fell

for example i recorded 1 foot of snow(the deepest i can remeber in these parts)

whilst down the road in Crewe only 3-4 inches were recorded

C.S

I'll vouch for that, pathetic amounts fell here, considering how much some parts of the region had!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I love hearing about last winter's snow (or lack of it!!) and I wonder whether the mods would consider opening up a nostalgia winter thread so we can concentrate on this winter in this thread. Both threads would be equally appreciated I think.

c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

Very diplomatically put Chiono. Do you work for the Foreign & Commonwealth Office?? (sorry - completely off topic....I'll get my coat)