Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2010/2011

Bottesford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

This October at present reminds me of October 1666

That was a mild month 11c in the CET zone alone.

Forum members were talking about ‘winters over’ but as we know we had a stonking Jan 1667 with a CET of 0, so lets not give up yet. :pardon:

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

This October at present reminds me of October 1666

That was a mild month 11c in the CET zone alone

Forum members were talking about ‘winters over’ but as we know we had a stonking Jan 1667 with a CET of 0, so lets not give up yet.

Blimey Stew, you've been around for a while !!!

Posted

Blimey Stew, you've been around for a while !!!

Perhaps the Netweather forum is haunted!!

Edited by Don

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

by a metoerologicly obsessed ghost......

I’m sure 300 years ago most people would not wish for a cold winter.

No central heating or double glazing.

I don’t know what the stats would be today

I’m sure for sheep farmers they may prefer a mild winter ?

On here 95% a cold one ?

General public ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Look at all the coverage in the press PWS winter forecacst which was released to the press yesterday has created:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=uk+win ... 0c91775e70

brr.gifbrr.gifbrr.gifbrr.gifbrr.gifbrr.gifbrr.gifbrr.gif

The link just goes to a google page, what fuss????

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted

I’m sure 300 years ago most people would not wish for a cold winter.

Actually, there is an entry in Pepys' diary where Parliament ordered a Fast Day for more seasonable weather

"From Pepys diary of 25th January 1662 (old style)

"A fast day ordered by the Parliament to pray for more seasonable weather it having hitherto been summer weather, that is both as to warmth and every other things just as it were the middle of May or June...."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

1995/96- most of us should remember that one- a cold December with frequent easterly winds, some snowfalls on the 5th-7th, a very potent northerly in the last week which gave a white Christmas to northern areas and some record-breaking low temperatures. January ended up mostly dull and fairly mild but with a cold last third which had snowfalls on the 25th-27th from an easterly. February was episodic and cold with a few snowy incursions. There were localised snowfalls in Nov '95, Mar '96 and Apr '96 also.

Just shy of -18'C in Inverness on December 29th of that year (1995)! Although young, I remember it being bitingly cold around Christmas. My cousins from London were up with their girlfriends and acted as though they were about to die the entire time :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Even the daily mail are jumping on board as well:yahoo:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1317484/Forecasters-predict-white-winters.html

Thats even worse.

This is all ridiculous hype as per usual. Sure it may be another cold winter but i still think its too early to be making such judgements.

My optimism remains limited and so it should be so to save dissapointment later on. I think Winter 09/10 has raised hopes just Like Summer 2003 and 2006 did so anything even slightly not so good and there will be people moaning and complaining. I for sure hope we have a cold snowy winter but all this hype right now is just another example of soft, over hyped Britain.

In that article lines like this make me extremely annoyed and show how much of a unworthy newspaper it is in general: "The worrying forecast came as bad weather struck the British Isles at the weekend, with flash flooding in parts of London and the South-East." A world exists outside of the South East and as a comment says underneath, there was flooding in Devon yet with these biased papers you would never know what happens outside of the M25.

Rant over but i think i hold valid points! :D

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

The BBC: snow's always 'atrocious', rain's always 'miserable', frost's always 'bitter'… their ideal is some sort of Teletubby Land safe from weather of any kind.

LOL, -1c is always "bitterly cold".

I remember a few years ago when Ann Diamond did the Breakfast show on BBC Radio Oxford. She was warning people to stay indoors as it was -2c !! "Don't venture out unless you have to" :D:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Posted

Thats even worse.

This is all ridiculous hype as per usual. Sure it may be another cold winter but i still think its too early to be making such judgements.

My optimism remains limited and so it should be so to save dissapointment later on. I think Winter 09/10 has raised hopes just Like Summer 2003 and 2006 did so anything even slightly not so good and there will be people moaning and complaining. I for sure hope we have a cold snowy winter but all this hype right now is just another example of soft, over hyped Britain.

In that article lines like this make me extremely annoyed and show how much of a unworthy newspaper it is in general: "The worrying forecast came as bad weather struck the British Isles at the weekend, with flash flooding in parts of London and the South-East." A world exists outside of the South East and as a comment says underneath, there was flooding in Devon yet with these biased papers you would never know what happens outside of the M25.

Rant over but i think i hold valid points! :rolleyes:

They really should re-name that newspaper "the daily fail" as they seem to do just that on a daily basis.

Mind you, if you forecast a cold winter often enough you're bound to right a couple of times, and that will be good enough for some folk to call it a trend. :D:rolleyes:

Posted

Is it true that 'el-nina' will influence our weather this winter, meaning that it could be another cold and harsh, if not harsher winter than the last?

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Is it true that 'el-nina' will influence our weather this winter, meaning that it could be another cold and harsh, if not harsher winter than the last?

anyone?....or am I in the wrong room/thread/discussion!!

It would help if you could be more clear in regards to what you are actually asking. Firstly, are you talking about the La Nina or El Nino (El-Nina does not exist as far as I'm aware)?

Secondly, either of those (La NIna being the state of the ENSO this winter) will have an impact in one way or another on our weather, however it is impossible to say that La Nina would 'influence our weather to give another cold and harsh winter' as it is simply not that clear cut... It will influence our weather, be it for a below average, average or above average winter, but there are many many more factors to take into account when making a judgement on the coming winter, as no sole teleconnection can be attributed completely to a below average winter (in general terms).

Posted

Apologies, I have M.E and can often get words mixed up or mis-spelt. I was meaning 'La Nina', I was asking how much of an influence it could or would have on our coming winter. As you so kindly put it, its not that clear cut, so that answers my question, in part at least!!. Also, I understand the jet stream is further south(or expected to be over winter) and this is also something to factor in. It's never clear cut is it to us novices!!

Thank you for replying.

Posted

Look at all the coverage in the press PWS winter forecacst which was released to the press yesterday has created:

Right or wrong, all publicity is good publicity and this will enhance his business greatly.

Mods take note - issue an even more outlandish forecast immediately, sit back and watch the new members count and advertising revenue rocket up !!

Posted

Apologies, I have M.E and can often get words mixed up or mis-spelt. I was meaning 'La Nina', I was asking how much of an influence it could or would have on our coming winter. As you so kindly put it, its not that clear cut, so that answers my question, in part at least!!. Also, I understand the jet stream is further south(or expected to be over winter) and this is also something to factor in. It's never clear cut is it to us novices!!

Thank you for replying.

No problem at all :cc_confused:

I think it would be fair to say that the coming La Nina will have a pretty big impact on the coming winter, as it is widely forecast to peak into what is considered a strong Nina, however in regards to what particular impact it will have, I don't really have any firm idea, although other more knowledgeable users may be able to give you more information in this field. One thing I think is generally accepted is that a strong Nina is not as ominous in terms of mild, 'blowtorch' weather in the winter as a strong El Nino is, which I suppose in itself is a good starting point.

Yeah, your correct that the Jet Stream is and has been generally further south than had become the norm during the early 2000's, something that can be seen from the current charts with low pressures undercutting a Siberian block which would cause an absolute meltdown on this forums were it to occur in say, January. The Jet Streams long term tendency to be further south over the last couple of years is definitely a positive in terms of good, snowy winter weather, lets just hope this trend continues through the coming winter months!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

No problem at all :cc_confused:

I think it would be fair to say that the coming La Nina will have a pretty big impact on the coming winter, as it is widely forecast to peak into what is considered a strong Nina, however in regards to what particular impact it will have, I don't really have any firm idea, although other more knowledgeable users may be able to give you more information in this field. One thing I think is generally accepted is that a strong Nina is not as ominous in terms of mild, 'blowtorch' weather in the winter as a strong El Nino is, which I suppose in itself is a good starting point.

Yeah, your correct that the Jet Stream is and has been generally further south than had become the norm during the early 2000's, something that can be seen from the current charts with low pressures undercutting a Siberian block which would cause an absolute meltdown on this forums were it to occur in say, January. The Jet Streams long term tendency to be further south over the last couple of years is definitely a positive in terms of good, snowy winter weather, lets just hope this trend continues through the coming winter months!

Good post KK.

Posted

The La Nina is really becoming very impressive right now, will be interesting to see how everything behaves. IMO we are probably in a similar position globally to where we were in the 50s in terms of how everything is evolving with regards to the PDO and the strong +ve AMO.

The key question is whether the La Nina induces a mid 70s/98-00 and 07-08 type pattern or whether it causes a mid 50s type set-up.

I'm going to keep my expectations low for this winter, because typically strong La Nina's combined with the QBO state we are in don't tend to bode all that well for our winters.

Posted
  • Location: Stalybridge, Eastern Greater Manchester @ 165 metres, 541 feet
  • Location: Stalybridge, Eastern Greater Manchester @ 165 metres, 541 feet

I agree with some of the posts on here about how the Manchester area doesn't get as much snow as we really should apart from last Jan but it is a very varied place, living in a place which the Met Office deems as high ground (anywhere 150m and above). You'd expect due my elevation on the Pennine slopes, northerly latitude and being as far east as Hexham in the N.E to get decent amounts , I've noticed that where I am we do better in easterly snows but again it just depends for some reason. Also we tend to do well when a system moves in from the west and "bumps" into the cold air....with nothing high enough obstructing it.

I shouldn't really complain though, the rest of my family live just a few miles away ranging from around 90m to 100m asl and I do tend to get around twice as much as them per year and it also lasts on the ground for far longer where I am , so even a difference of over 200 feet/60 metres has an effect in this neck of the woods. Manchester is complex in terms of weather.