Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Antarctic Ice Discussion

pottyprof

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/dec/25/rescued-scientists-warning-from-antarctica

So whilst the misleaders guffawed the science went on.......................

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/dec/25/rescued-scientists-warning-from-antarctica

So whilst the misleaders guffawed the science went on.......................

Interesting read GW and i'm glad you posted it however it doesn't prove or disprove anything?

You just had to get your usual "snipe" in didn't you  :nonono:

Posted

Hell yeah!

You can't be labelled as something for years without it finally making you think  "why the hell not?" Basic Psychology really......

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting read GW and i'm glad you posted it however it doesn't prove or disprove anything?

Never mentioned but record Antarctic ice is having a cooling effect on the planet annual_solar_insolation.png?w=640&h=305

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Nights King,

LOL I had nearly forgotten about this episode.

Still there hasn't been much to laugh about on tele over the Xmas period, so I am pleased that GW posted it!

At least they found that some Adelie penguins had to walk 40 miles for food.and hence were in danger.

Yes and the Skuas are also struggling down there.  Oh yes and the Iceberg that became stuck and is changing the fauna on the oceans floor. Remember however this was all caused by  the unexplained increase of the Antartic sea ice shelf (ie weather, NOT climate warming !!!). I would hope so since its probably occured 100 of times in the history of the south pole..

All for the sake of putting 100's of men lives in danger aboard one ship and four icebreakers and helicopters, and disrupting most of the more important scientific work in the Antarctic which did not get their supplies on time when required.  

Is it really the way forward in science that is being touted by Turney?  Could it be he justs wants another trip funded by the believers?

Really to try and dress this up as a huge success must be, even in this incredible world , one of the greatest follies ever attempted.

MIA

Posted

Something made me laugh on TV were all the WWF adverts pleading for (more) money to save the Penguins shrinking habitat.

I suppose it almost sounds plausible if you are determined to believe The Guardian.

Posted

Never mentioned but record Antarctic ice is having a cooling effect on the planet annual_solar_insolation.png?w=640&h=305

A little more detail would perhaps be helpful to members not familiar with your brilliantly cryptic insights.

• Like 1

Posted

Well that's nothing really. If you caste your mind back to the event and the hysteria it caused in a certain thread. I had it on good authority that some members had to be resuscitated on a couple of occasions and now there are defibrillators on standby in case such excitement is generated again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Well that's nothing really. If you caste your mind back to the event and the hysteria it caused in a certain thread. I had it on good authority that some members had to be resuscitated on a couple of occasions and now there are defibrillators on standby in case such excitement is generated again.

Knocker,

Please make sure I am sent one.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

A little more detail would perhaps be helpful to members not familiar with your brilliantly cryptic insights.

I must confess that when I first looked at this image I wondered if it was in fact a thermal camera having a close up at the female form perhaps :w00t:

Posted

Its just a lift from real science telling us that this near record temp December ( 4th or 3rd warmest on record?) is being cooled by the Antarctic albedo........... should we post a record, or near record warm year ( without a Nino's augmentation) then I'd say it's a good job it is being so impacted by Antarctica otherwise we'd boil! (LOL)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Antarctic sea ice breaks daily record by 600.000sq km AND no IPPC report nor any climate models predicts ANY increase in Antarctic sea ice at the same time as Arctic sea ice decline.They only predict sea ice declines due to a "warming world" by that same sea ice decline.

antarctic-sea-ice-extent-for-day-7-from-

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

We saw a couple of papers last year reminding us just how quickly we will see antarctic Sea Ice decline as we move into the century. The biggest worry is the losses to the Ross Sea ( currently relaxing back towards the levels we saw in the 60's and 70's) as it helps protect the ice shelf ( 200ft ice cliffs) from mechanical erosion by ocean swells.

I'd advise anyone with questions about why Antarctic Sea ice is moving back toward old historic levels to read the Science around how this can occur whilst undergoing warming. If anything it helps to highlight just what we humans have done to our planet?

Posted

We saw a couple of papers last year reminding us just how quickly we will see antarctic Sea Ice decline as we move into the century. The biggest worry is the losses to the Ross Sea ( currently relaxing back towards the levels we saw in the 60's and 70's) as it helps protect the ice shelf ( 200ft ice cliffs) from mechanical erosion by ocean swells.

I'd advise anyone with questions about why Antarctic Sea ice is moving back toward old historic levels to read the Science around how this can occur whilst undergoing warming. If anything it helps to highlight just what we humans have done to our planet?

Antarctic ice by 700.000 sq km antarctic-sea-ice-extent-for-day-8-from-

Posted

Always liked these maps shows how remarkable the ice growth has been in the Antarctic since 1993. With now days getting shorter expect more records to tumble this year,

screenhunter_5913-jan-10-08-11.gif?w=640

Edited by keithlucky
  • Like 1

Posted

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11315512

"It's like an earthquake - for a long time, nothing happens, but when it does, boom - it happens all at the same time,"

Seems like my concerns about periods of rapid collapse are now being backed by evidence from the sediment cores? There's no way it could be a 'drip,drip' affair!

Posted

Just been eyeballing the CT map for Antarctica and I think we may well see sea ice fall back into the pack as both Ross and Weddell lose their ocean facing ice ( rapidly failing now as the CT graphic shows)?

With 2014 being such a warm year and global weather seeming to become ever more 'Nino like' will we see this impact sea ice levels or will it just serve to renew losses in Thwaites/P.I.G.?

Across the Arctic the run up to equinox provides the period of 'bottom melt' as the summer warmed waters kick in I wonder if this is true for Antarctica too? With 2014's global temps being heavily influenced by ocean heat I'm wondering if this has continued across the Southern Summer?

• Like 1

Posted

Giant atmospheric rivers add mass to Antarctica's ice sheet

Extreme weather phenomena called atmospheric rivers were behind intense snowstorms recorded in 2009 and 2011 in East Antarctica. The resulting snow accumulation partly offset recent ice loss from the Antarctic ice sheet, report researchers from KU Leuven.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-01/kl-gar011915.php

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Antarctica's Totten Glacier, twice the size of Victoria, 'melting from below'

Warm ocean water is melting one of the world's biggest glaciers from below, potentially leading to a rise in sea levels, Australian scientists have discovered.

Australian icebreaker Aurora Australis recently returned to Hobart from Antarctica, with a team of 23 scientists who had used new technology to collect the first water samples near the Totten Glacier.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-26/sea-water-melting-totten-glacier-in-antarctica-from-below/6047076

• Like 1

Posted

I see KL has not being giving his near daily updates over the past week?

Would that mean that the ice in front of Ross has gone now and we've fallen back into the extent plots for previous years?

Does that mean the global anom is back negative???

With a month of melt ahead maybe the past couple of warm years ( naturals altering?) will show up in the peripheral ice melt ( and weddell polynia?) this year? Should we do daily updates is we fall below the past decades figures or is that just what others do (LOL!).

Posted

Still no sign of KL???

Better have a look down under then?

Oh! what a surprise! it looks like Ross Sea will see a total melt out this year? Weddell has popped open a polynia ( as was common before the mid noughties?) and area is now down in the 'average' for the time of year (so global sea ice is now in negative anom even at the height of Northern winter!!!!)

As with global temps last year I believe we are now seeing global changes in the 'naturals' . Around Antarctica this has seen extensions to sea ice esp. the past 7 years but this melt out season (and its 'pattern' of melt) reminds me of what was common when I first started studying Antarctica?

I'd also like to give a 'heads up' for calving as it is now the period that we ought to expect such (I'll be keeping an eye on my crack......on Ross) as open water allows wave action to pound and float/wobble shelf fronts.

EDIT; does anyone else see a change to greater variation in ice amounts over the 'Faux Pause' years (from around the turn of the century)?

seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png

Edited by Gray-Wolf