Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Antarctic Ice Discussion

pottyprof

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Your mistake is fairly typical of someone who wants to make a quick judgement against science.

Besides, winds are just one variable (although an important one) that influences sea-ice variability and distribution.

Could it be just be the weather ? and if that applies to the SH why not the NH.

Global sea ice bang on average

post-7914-0-19159500-1435486096_thumb.pn

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Been quiet in here? No KL for a while? Can only mean one thing;

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/antarctic.sea.ice.interactive.html

Anntarctic Sea ice has fallen back into the pack........ now we have the nino impacts on both winter storms but also later in the year as wind/currents alter to their nino phases leading to increased land ice melt esp along the peninsula.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Anntarctic Sea ice has fallen back into the pack........ now we have the nino impacts on both winter storms but also later in the year as wind/currents alter to their nino phases leading to increased land ice melt esp along the peninsula.

Hardly fallen into the pack in my estimation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hardly fallen into the pack in my estimation

Either it has, or it hasn't, jb? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Either it has, or it hasn't, jb? :)

Yet again you feel necessary to put your two penny worth in. When some one says 'its fallen into a pack' I would expect that we would have a considerable number of years now better than we are presently are not the one or two shown on the graphic. The comment is deliberately misleading in my opinion which is the standard approach by some on here

• Like 2

Posted

We have been courted with tales of " increasing Year on year" so any periods of low gain, dropping the extent back into the pack, illustrates that this is not occurring. With the changes over the Pacific through the noughties now receding maybe we will also see the recent extensions fall back to level we saw in the 80's?

Posted

Yet again you feel necessary to put your two penny worth in. When some one says 'its fallen into a pack' I would expect that we would have a considerable number of years now better than we are presently are not the one or two shown on the graphic. The comment is deliberately misleading in my opinion which is the standard approach by some on here

No. I merely asked a question...

• Like 1

Posted

We have been courted with tales of " increasing Year on year" so any periods of low gain, dropping the extent back into the pack, illustrates that this is not occurring. With the changes over the Pacific through the noughties now receding maybe we will also see the recent extensions fall back to level we saw in the 80's?

I don't think anyone suggested it was going to carry on increasing indefinitely?

There is still a very lot of ice compared to average.

Obviously you want to spin it as some kind of transient feature and better still somehow caused by an obscure effect of warming elsewhere.

• Like 2

Posted

"...and better still somehow caused by an obscure effect of warming elsewhere."

You guys are funny!

The link between Pacific SSTs and the regionality of sea ice extent is well known.

• Like 2

Posted

Taken off again, that 'wrong type of wind', must have picked up ??

https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop/vishop-extent.html?S

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Taken off again, that 'wrong type of wind', must have picked up ??

https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop/vishop-extent.html?S

Stew...

Either it has or it hasn't?  Oh you are funny!

Any other classic believers highly scientific contributions/responses?

Awaiting a response from GW!  But I am not around for 48 hrs!

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted

April meeting at INSTAAR with Richard Alley. Good Q& A's.

Seems Thwaites is in even greater peril with more immediate consequences.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Been quiet in here again? Nino storms starting to take the outer ice? Winds responsible for recent upticks fading? Anthow , back into the rest of the years we go!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

IPPC leader states Antarctica"c abrupt glacier melt totally overestimated http://www.examiner.com/article/ipcc-author-antarctica-s-abrupt-glacial-melting-greatly-overestimated

• Like 2

Posted

I see we had another fall back in sea ice levels over the past few days? This coincides with the snow over Tasmania. Are we starting to see Nino impacts on storm patterns or are we seeing the Southern Hemisphere now switching to the wavy Jet Pattern?

EDIT: One unsavory result of Antarctica shedding cold north is the record use of electricity seen across Oz the past 2 months. Seeing as they prefer dirty brown coal to fuel power stations there we have also seen their CO2 emmisions rise to record highs.

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

I see we had another fall back in sea ice levels over the past few days? This coincides with the snow over Tasmania. Are we starting to see Nino impacts on storm patterns or are we seeing the Southern Hemisphere now switching to the wavy Jet Pattern?

EDIT: One unsavory result of Antarctica shedding cold north is the record use of electricity seen across Oz the past 2 months. Seeing as they prefer dirty brown coal to fuel power stations there we have also seen their CO2 emmisions rise to record highs.

GW...

I thought this new regime was designed to stop speculative posts of this type!.

To me the Antarctic sea Ice is still above normal and looks fine.

Where is the actual data in this post?

MIA

• Like 4

Posted

Still no K.L. or M.I. A linking to data so that can only mean 'Bad News' for extent???

and yes it is. The only explanation I can think of is Nino impacting storminess in the southern Ocean ( Cold outbreaks in Ozz and N.Z.?) messing with the ice edge so I have to again wonder at the alleged global temp'hiatus' and the impacts that configuration placed on winds/current around Antarctica? We know the study on wilkes/PIG showed nina/nina like conditions spared them ice loss so what if we find ourselves flipping to the polar opposite just as the Ozone hole mends?

Never mind this global year the Antarctic may well be in the frame for the next .... years?

EDIT ; With the Arctic over 1.5 million below average and Antarctica only 100,00o above average how is that 'see saw' effect , that some love to bang on about, looking today?

So what happens if both fall below average as nino bites harder and Antarctic storms disrupt even more of the pack? We all know a single storm can take 1 million plus over sea ice max down there don't we?

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Still no K.L. or M.I. A linking to data so that can only mean 'Bad News' for extent???

EDIT ; With the Arctic over 1.5 million below average and Antarctica only 100,00o above average how is that 'see saw' effect , that some love to bang on about, looking today?

So what happens if both fall below average as nino bites harder and Antarctic storms disrupt even more of the pack? We all know a single storm can take 1 million plus over sea ice max down there don't we?

We don't need KL or M.I.A  we have NSIDC  :hi:

"""sea ice extent places 2015 now at around 4th highest in terms of daily extent, below 2014, 2013, and 2010.

However, sea surface temperatures just north of the ice edge were 0.5 to 1 degree Celsius (1 to 2 degrees Fahrenheit) cooler than average, raising the potential for rapid ice growth through the remainder of the winter season""

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 6

Posted

We don't need KL or M.I.A  we have NSIDC  :hi:

"""sea ice extent places 2015 now at around 4th highest in terms of daily extent, below 2014, 2013, and 2010.

However, sea surface temperatures just north of the ice edge were 0.5 to 1 degree Celsius (1 to 2 degrees Fahrenheit) cooler than average, raising the potential for rapid ice growth through the remainder of the winter season""

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Not only that Stew, but in the Arctic climate section of the report it states that conditions have remained favourable for ice loss due to conditions 'very similar' to the dipole anomaly in the arctic for the last month. Inspite of this the chart presented as an average for July shows more ice extent than any of the last 4 years. I agree that it is dropping quicker now (upto last week) but is it going to break any record lows?

It would seem that GW is getting more and more bullish with his posts and speculations on where it will end up for the Arctic, whereas for the Antartic which is still running 4th highest in the last 35 years, every small drop is greeted with a post basically claiming that the whole of Antartica is under threat from the ENSO events.

I prefer to wait and see what the data actually brings before making any conclusions rather than to speculate (on either ice pack as GW has done above!)

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 6

Posted

It would seem that GW is getting more and more bullish with his posts and speculations on where it will end up for the Arctic, whereas for the Antartic which is still running 4th highest in the last 35 years,

MIA

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2012/05/daily-image/

4th highest eh? We can't have been seeing levels very far from average over the past 20 years then?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

The latest Cryosphere Today Antarctic ice area anomaly is now below average - http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.recent.antarctic.png

Oh dear.

I expect to see that on the news in a couple of days so Ill wait to hear the full story. 

Posted

The latest Cryosphere Today Antarctic ice area anomaly is now below average - http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.recent.antarctic.png

Oh dear.

Surely you cant expect records to be broken every year ?

The new average has of course gone up in the last decade.

We have a large pool of cooler then average water thats likely to freeze in the next month and the recent drop I fear is just a blip, time will tell.

• Like 1

Posted

I notice that there is a tendency for this to be called a blip in the Antarctic and a trend in the Arctic. I assume it's those damn Polar asymmetric responses at work again

Edited by knocker

Posted

As has been pointed-out several times, cut-and-paste jobs from denier blogs and websites are not considered apt. Please take note.