Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

These conditions in July would be 33-35c widely across the midlands and south. Hope we do get that!

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

looks like a great weekend coming up, i think when people say that weekends are typically rubbish when their off work is not true, i can remember many times the weekend being good and then on monday being cloudy and dull i will personally be hoping for rain next week anyway.

I cant remember what particular part of the year it was but last year the weather always seemed to turn for the better just in time for the weekend. We never had a single cricket match called off and only on 3 occasions out of about 18 did it rain at all during a Saturday afternoon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

What a stunning spell here with temperatures into the low 20's at times. Superb and those moaning must have had real problems with cloud or must have some weird reason that i cannot think of. :lol:

Posted

This weekend has been as good as it gets here in April, Wednesday & Thursday were very dissapointing yes but after that its been great.

Im still pretty much adament that this Summer is going to be a washout on the basis that its been seriously dry here for such a long time now.

However as ive said before if the washouts can come in the form of thunderstorms/convective showers and weather fronts coming through at night

so we maximise our sunshine hours then thats fine with me.

Anyway after a cooler spell this week i can see high pressure returning as soon as next weekend, all the models are hinting at this already in fact.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Overall, it still looks pretty dry for Central and Southern Areas with High Pressure nearby and if anything possibly returning by next weekend.

Meanwhile my thoughts for Summer are not for a washout just because its dry now!!! :lol: Again, this is the period we should expect the least out of the Atlantic thus the chance of High Pressure more likely. Spring 2010 was very dry at times- was it a washout? Well yes it was for some but im pretty sure many out there would say it was pretty dry!!!

Posted

Just for the record my prediction is for a summer similar to that of 1989 i.e a very dry and warm/hot one in direct contradiction to the last two lasting May through to August.

Thunderstorms and southern plumes definately in the mix, For the record I will update my signature as well.

Posted

yes i hope we see lots of thunderstorms because if it stays dry then their could be hospipe bans and my poor allotmant will die :help:

Edited by Anti Boring Weather

Posted

Some of the lawn here does seem to be turning lightly brown in places but nothing to be concerned about just yet. However if a dry summer does come off then i wouldnt be surprised if Hosepipe bans in some places esp Central and Southern areas come in force but its all far away at the moment.

Posted

yes i hope we see lots of thunderstorms because if it stays dry then their could be hospipe bans and poor allotmant my will die :help:

I learnt that steady rainfall is much better than heavy convective rainfall after a dry spell as with the latter, the water on the ground evaperates before the ground can soak it all up. With steady rainfall, the ground soaks it up better.

I don't think its too much of concern at the moment and some areas in particular the further west you are could recieve a bit of rainfall from Wednesday's weatherfront. How much eastern areas will recieve is uncertain at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Global model ensemble mean products are now in tune suggesting a ridge to develop close to our east and build back west as the trough in the Atlantic elongates and breaks up for the second half of the month. This is hugely significant as it places in the box seat to break records. Warmest April on record, driest March - April spell on record ?

Now this is the sort of post i like to read, Glacier Point off the fence and predicting a glorious Easter cool.gif

Posted

Whilst i dont put much confidence in the Long Range CFS charts, i have been following them fairly regularly over the past few weeks and there does seem to be a good trend for quite regular warm, very warm and even occasional hot spells at times. High Pressure also seems to feature quite regularly with the odd Low sneaking in at times. But still Summer is a fair bit away yet so it could all go bottom side up!

However at face value and with taking other views such as that of GP, i see rather little to suggest a wet, cool summer. A Dry, warm one is what i see at present but this may change of course it must be remembered.

Posted

My English spouse has been saying to me that the weather's been absolutely beautiful lately. I hope it continues to be lovely, 'cause in just 4 weeks, I'll *finally* be moving to the UK.

My only worry is that the summer will be oppressively hot and humid. I remember last year when we lived in Southern Ontario, spring-like conditions were already taking root in late February and temperatures by mid-March were hitting 15 C. It was a lovely spring, like you guys are having, but the summer turned out to be horrendous, with an entire week of temperatures hitting 33 C (feeling like 43 if you factor in the humidity). I know some people here love that kind of summer heat, but I found it absolutely stifling... I was often waking up in the night soaked in sweat, and barely had the energy to do anything during the day. We lived in a small apartment, so we didn't get very good ventilation.

If the temperatures are around 15-20 C, like I was expecting for England (though starting to worry now, lol), I'll be pleased as punch. :)

Posted

My English spouse has been saying to me that the weather's been absolutely beautiful lately. I hope it continues to be lovely, 'cause in just 4 weeks, I'll *finally* be moving to the UK.

My only worry is that the summer will be oppressively hot and humid. I remember last year when we lived in Southern Ontario, spring-like conditions were already taking root in late February and temperatures by mid-March were hitting 15 C. It was a lovely spring, like you guys are having, but the summer turned out to be horrendous, with an entire week of temperatures hitting 33 C (feeling like 43 if you factor in the humidity). I know some people here love that kind of summer heat, but I found it absolutely stifling... I was often waking up in the night soaked in sweat, and barely had the energy to do anything during the day. We lived in a small apartment, so we didn't get very good ventilation.

If the temperatures are around 15-20 C, like I was expecting for England (though starting to worry now, lol), I'll be pleased as punch. :)

Welcome to England in a month! Summer temperatures are usually around the 18-22C mark, depending on where you live — generally hotter south and east, cooler north and west. Unfortunately, we do get spells of hot weather like you describe too, especially in the south east. Most people seem to love them, but there's also a good few who loathe them, myself included.

Posted

Welcome to England in a month! Summer temperatures are usually around the 18-22C mark, depending on where you live — generally hotter south and east, cooler north and west. Unfortunately, we do get spells of hot weather like you describe too, especially in the south east. Most people seem to love them, but there's also a good few who loathe them, myself included.

Thanks! :) I'm very much looking forward to it... there's going to be some stressful elements (i.e., finding a job) but I'm excited about the move overall. Especially being reunited with my partner after far too long a separation.

18-22 C is pretty much my ideal in summer. Maybe even a bit less than that is ideal for me, but those are still nice temperatures. I'll be based, at least at first, in Coventry.

When it comes to 30+ C, 'fraid I'm squarely in the loathing camp too. :p

Edited by Eabie

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008

Welcome Eadie! B)

If we get the unusually benign summer that one or two are starting to suggest above, I hope that doesn't prove too oppressive for you (in London, for eg! :angry: )

But whatever happens, if we get a more than averagely dry and warm and sunny summer here in 2011 overall, I'd say take the goods with the bads, becaue most likely such conditions will prove a rarity ... in the North and West in particular, I'm fairly confident many would welcome the sunshine (if it happens!) after so many indifferent to poor summers in those parts.

On the basis of no actual meteorological science whatsoever, I predict a total washout for Summer 2012 -- especially in June**!

**Non-Glastonbury Festival year -- ie fallow year -- in 2012..... :D

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

My only worry is that the summer will be oppressively hot and humid. I remember last year when we lived in Southern Ontario, spring-like conditions were already taking root in late February and temperatures by mid-March were hitting 15 C. It was a lovely spring, like you guys are having, but the summer turned out to be horrendous,

I find the humidity in southern Ontario far worse than anything we get over here. Don't get me wrong, it's still oppressively uncomfortable here when it *does* get warm.....but Toronto / Windsor / London etc felt much more stifling at the same balmy temperatures.

Edit: Just noticed you're off to Coventry. I spent 25 years just down the road in Solihull. The West Midlands climate was way too warm for me so I fled to Scotland ;-)

Edited by Scotster

Posted

after this long dry spell i forsee a long cool wet spell because when its wet in summer it normally cool how often to we see 25 c and rain apart from when its thundury and we seem to get a lot of westerly or northwesterly winds.rather than southwesterlys winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Around here maxes in the peak summer period can go as low as 13-14c in heavy rain (July 2007 had lots of this vile weather) and up to 30-34c in the very hottest periods (July 2006 being the last one).

Personally I find maxes about 18c are 'just acceptable', above 20c 'pleasant', above 22c 'good', around 24-26c 'spot on', 27-29c 'very warm and lovely - evenings the best time', 30c+ 'proper heat but best enjoyed in the evenings'.

Sunshine makes a big difference. Round here there are many days of cloud temps around 22-23c which are only really any good in the evenings (as it stays warm). A sunny 20c day beats a cloudy 24c if you're doing daytime stuff especially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Thanks! :) I'm very much looking forward to it... there's going to be some stressful elements (i.e., finding a job) but I'm excited about the move overall. Especially being reunited with my partner after far too long a separation.

18-22 C is pretty much my ideal in summer. Maybe even a bit less than that is ideal for me, but those are still nice temperatures. I'll be based, at least at first, in Coventry.

Recapping on the last bit of Bottesford's post, you may well get a big shock regarding sunshine hours. According to Wikipedia, Winnipeg averages 2377 hours of bright sunshine per year, while much of southern Ontario averages just over 2000 hours. In Coventry the average is in the region of 1400-1500 hours, so you'll be thrust into a much cloudier climate than the one you're used to. Although many members on Net-weather get excited over short sharp convective storms and thunder activity, and it does crop up from time to time, on the whole the UK gets a lot more in the way of light persistent frontal rain than the climates you're used to.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm still very sceptical about this summer being anything decent. I believe that we are stuck in a similar broader pattern to what we had in 2007/8/9 and last year, and I feel a dry Spring with in this pattern is bad news for summer.. I think if this pattern breaks (the pattern containing cool summers and cold early winter months, then a different outcome will occur. However I am firmly in belief that this summer will come somewhere between 2007 and last year in terms of similarity. I dont have anything to back this up, but then no one does.. I'd be looking for a pattern change to suggest a change in the more defined summer pattern.. for example a mild winter may well signal an end to the broad pattern cyclle.

Posted

I'm pretty sure it hasn't hit 30C here, about 70 miles north of Coventry, since 1990 :). June snow, July maxes as low as 9C, 5am scrapings of ice off cars in the valleys in August and 8 days of persistent fog / low cloud is a british summer at it's ugliest. However, I think the altitude could be to blame here, which Coventry simply doesn't have.

Posted

Thanks for the kind greetings, it's nice to feel welcome. :)

About the hours of sunshine... amusingly, my partner complained about how "bright" it was while living in Ontario with me last year, because it hurt the eyes. I remember being slightly mystified by that, but it makes sense if an "average day" to you is usually a cloudy day. I don't think cloudiness is something that'll bother me too much though, and I enjoy rain and fog. It'll be interesting to see how well (or not) I take to the new weather. I'm also just generally curious to see what late spring and summer will shape up to be like this year (my first in the UK), and I'll be following the predictions on here quite closely.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't hit 30C here, about 70 miles north of Coventry, since 1990 :). June snow, July maxes as low as 9C, 5am scrapings of ice off cars in the valleys in August and 8 days of persistent fog / low cloud is a british summer at it's ugliest. However, I think the altitude could be to blame here, which Coventry simply doesn't have.

I *think* there was a heatwave in parts of England (including Coventry) a couple years back, summer 2009. I vaguely remember talking about it on MSN and reading about it in my emails - I didn't experience it firsthand, hehe. But it sounded hot! :p

Posted

Was just searching for some long-term seasonal forecasts. Not sure how much faith to put in such predictions at this point, but nonetheless I found this and thought some might find it interesting: http://www.positiveweathersolutions.co.uk/UK-Eire---Long-Range-Forecast.php