Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

New Model Analysts' Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Excellent idea. Just one question though. Will the forecast team and the selected posters still give their views on the normal model thread as often though? What i mean is we dont want to have the normal thread diluted by losing some of the intellegent posts because they have been posted on a different thread.

Posted

I think we've got to remember that we're not stopping anyone from posting anything. We're just restricting one thread. I'd also point out that for every person who posts in the model thread, there may be 4 or 5 who don't, but still take an interest in the available information. I think it's reasonable to consider them too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think it was fine when we just had the one Model Thread. The Technical thread is good but rarely used and sails a bit over my head anyway. The General Model Discussion Thread I dont fully understand the purpose of and this thread seems to me like it will just take the good posts out of the existing model thread. I think you should just ban the people who purposefully write wind ups and rubbish in the existing thread. Anyway, hopefully it will work out.

I agree with the harsher punishments thing. There are people who regularly post inflammatory, wind-up garbage purely to get a reaction and add very little to the thread - I don't think anybody would shed a tear if they were sent packing.

Posted

I see myself as a very junior member in this new thread, at least in terms of knowledge, but if anybody thinks my ramblings are worth the effort of repeating, then they are quite welcome to quote them in the existing thread. For those worried about reduced input into the main thread I doubt that will happen, I certainly intend to continue to post in there. The main point of the thread is to have a place where members can get an overview of model output in a concise manner, but it is not designed to work as an alternative model thread for the select few.

Posted

Hmm like some others Im not sure if I agree with having another model thread, I think it will just devalue the main thread closedeyes.gif

Would it not be an idea to just have a new locked model thread, were the best posts in the main thread are put up on show there?? That way its low maintinance, but highlights the key points made without having to trawl through all the irrelivant stuff :)

Could call it the 'model highlights' thread lol

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Hmm like some others Im not sure if I agree with having another model thread, I think it will just devalue this one closedeyes.gif

Would it not be an idea to just have a new locked model thread, were the best posts in here are put up on show there?? That way its low maintinance, but highlights the key points made without having to trawl through all the irrelivant stuff :)

Could call it the 'model highlights' thread lol

Sound.

I like the idea of this, maybe posts that get +5 or more can go in the Highlights Thread...?

Though I think that the current idea set by OON is the most acceptable and I think that looks the best for now... :)

Posted

Sound.

I like the idea of this, maybe posts that get +5 or more can go in the Highlights Thread...?

Though I think that the current idea set by OON is the most acceptable and I think that looks the best for now... :)

Ye OON's idea is certainly worth a go! :)

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted

Excellent idea. Just one question though. Will the forecast team and the selected posters still give their views on the normal model thread as often though? What i mean is we dont want to have the normal thread diluted by losing some of the intellegent posts because they have been posted on a different thread.

I'm not part of the 'team' OON has assembled, at least not for a while, but I do urge all of you to give this a go, give it time for those able to post to get into the swing of things so to speak. Its something that can be played around with after allowing time for it to settle down.

In my view it is perhaps the best idea on Net Weather, forum area, in a very long time. Do remember that as well as the many hundreds of members that avidly look for an idea of what the models are ACTUALLY showing rather than If this If that happened then this MIGHT happen, there are many more visitors looking for a reasonable idea on what the models are showing. No toys out of prams, simply a place where everyone can read interpretations of the charts from those invited.

Posted

Another thumbs up from me!

One would hope that this new thread sets the benchmark for how posts should be constructed in the model thread.

The thing that irks me in the current model thread (especially during winter) is that we have such a rich source of information available for free on the Internet that is perfect for illustration purposes. I would be expecting to see this information linked to or shown in almost every post yet I have to trawl through so much conjecture to get to the precious nuggets of information.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm not part of the 'team' OON has assembled, at least not for a while, but I do urge all of you to give this a go, give it time for those able to post to get into the swing of things so to speak. Its something that can be played around with after allowing time for it to settle down.

In my view it is perhaps the best idea on Net Weather, forum area, in a very long time. Do remember that as well as the many hundreds of members that avidly look for an idea of what the models are ACTUALLY showing rather than If this If that happened then this MIGHT happen, there are many more visitors looking for a reasonable idea on what the models are showing. No toys out of prams, simply a place where everyone can read interpretations of the charts from those invited.

Spot on, John. I get the sense that this is more than a trial than anything, so if it turns out to be a flop then we can easily revert to how it is now. Let's give it a go and see what happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

In theory this is a great idea, but my worry would be that if the more experienced forecasters put forward points in this new thread the rest of us won't be able to ask questions / discuss them etc. It could end up stopping many people from posting if there are no interesting posts left in the current thread, but just piles of rubbish and bias. I'll reserve judgement until things pan out though.

It would certainly work if OON's team (or whatever you want to call it!) still discussed the output with the other members in the main model thread alongside posting their views in this new thread.

Edited by alza

Posted

In theory this is a great idea, but my worry would be that if the more experienced forecasters put forward points in this new thread the rest of us won't be able to ask questions / discuss them etc. It could end up stopping many people from posting if there are no interesting posts left in the current thread, but just piles of rubbish and bias. I'll reserve judgement until things pan out though.

It would certainly work if OON's team (or whatever you want to call it!) still discussed the output with the other members in the main model thread alongside posting their views in this new thread.

there is nothing to prevent you referring to a post by someone in the new thread, with the post no/link and asking for clarification of it within the model thread. That itself should encourage positive ideas into the model thread I would have thought?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

An excellent idea. I would suggest to actually close the "Tech" thread so that any high level posts can appear on thew new "Restricted" thread instead.

Another idea would be to keep membership open, adding new members if and when required, the "Normal" model thread could be seen as a testing ground so that other valuable posters can prove themselves before being "promoted".

The Model thread is the flagship of the forum, it would be nice to think everybody's opinion is welcome and of equal standing but the reality is quite different.

No hidden agenda btw, I'll never be part of that thread and rarely if ever contribute as I do not think my musings are worth the pixel they are written on when it comes to model intrepretation. A modest attitude that I encourage others to adopt, if it's to read another "18Z shows mega cold at T384, winter is back" followed 6 hours later by "0z is showing mild at T384, winter is over", well...:rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Interesting idea!

I think it may be seen by some as elitist, but worth a go.

Could the best posts from the MT not just have been posted in a separate thread every few hours?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

It's been 2 hours and no one has commented in it. Is this meant to happen? unsure.gif

There are up to 15 camped outside the Odeon Door at times with tents !

Shall I get them all a cup of tea ? Including 1 mod and 1 contributor :smiliz19:

(genius)

Edited by flyer

Posted

Patience dear boy! It's going to be a slow burner of a thread, and being Friday night, people will be busy drinking Scotch after a hard day's work. I think once the ECM is out to a certain point, etc, then something will happen. I just opened it while I had a window of opportunity!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well brill idea, Be very interesting to see the posts from the knowledgeable,s. Also OON can someone remove that annoying topic link NEW REGIONAL THREAD it dont work.biggrin.gif

SL

Posted

An excellent idea. I would suggest to actually close the "Tech" thread so that any high level posts can appear on thew new "Restricted" thread instead.

The only problem i see with that is that anyone not on the selected group but with a good technical insight would be unable to contribute to the more technical disscussion and those trying to learn would be unable to ask questions?

The idea that posts on the restricted thread are duplicated on the model output disscussion thread seems very good to me, would allow the disscussion to flow just as before.

Cheers

S