Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Arizona Desert Monsoon Chasing

Paul Sherman

Posted

Ah, I was wondering what point we would go through customs, but to be fair, (and not to tempt fate) I was through customs in no time at all back in April in DFW, I did practically run off the plane to get to the head of the line tho, and the hall was practically empty, just have to see how it goes I guess?

Posted

h

Hi , Sorry if the info was wrong but I was told this when I asked a former colleague about connecting flights in the US. Either way DFW is probably one of the better airports and as you say there are later connections

Hi claire

DFW is one of the better ones that i have heard off :good:

best i found so far is cincinati 30-40 mins max on a bad day

i thinks depends on the number of international flights that land at the same time

still we find in just over a weeks time

after not stormchasing in may this year i badly need this trip to get it out of my system at least next may will come a lot sooner i hope

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

HI all

i just checking over my flight details and one thing that is concerning me is conection times in dallas

my question is how long does it take to get through customs at dallas as we only have 1 1/2 hrs to change planes and walk across the terminal to the other side and american airlines have not been on time lately. but at least there are another 3 flights if we miss that connection.

you will have to get through immigration and pick up your luggage at Dallas for defo. Hour and a half should be fine and they'll sort you out for later flight if any probs. When i was there earlier on tour 4, i travelled light and had both my small suitcase and backpack on as hand luggage, was a lot quicker. Only had 40 mins at Atlanta for plane home and still made it, if i had to wait for hold luggage, i wouldn't have made it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

As stated you will have to go through immigration, collect your bags , go thruogh customs and then check in your luggage for the second leg. As for which airport is the better airport as was said it depends on how mamy long haul arrive at the same time. I have done Atlanta, Chicargo. New York and DFW and have to say that they were all much of a muchness. I will add that DFW have paid attention to the problem and will open a lot more lanes even the one for US citzens and have people on hand to guide you to the lanes. I have found this to be a great help.

Dont put an ordinary lock on your case because they may cut it off in case they want to check your luggage.

Tom

Posted

6 days to go and the adrenalin might allow us to chase something on the 1st Night down towards Tuscon :drinks:

Also Wednesday in the finer scale Models looking like some Monsoon Activity.

post-24-0-71777400-1312976802_thumb.png - Nice Cape into the 1,200jkg range

post-24-0-19279900-1312976853_thumb.png - Monsoonal rains most of the day into the early hours

Off for 5 days now and back on Sunday

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy...

Hey Guys,

I've just noticed Craig & Paul H are due to arrive a couple of hours before me and Paul S. Is it worth making sure we have mobile numbers so we can keep in touch? Or is this sorted ?

@Craig , I think I may have yours already.

C

Posted

Hi Paul, if you miss the connection through delays outside of your control AA should arrange for you to catch the next connecting flight .........

Ta good.gif

I think you will find thats only the case if your entire itineray is booked on one ticket. If you have 2 seperate tickets, ie: LHR/DFW on one ticket, then DFW/PHX as a seperate ticket AA have no obligation at all to put you on the next flight, and indeed won't unless you purchase another ticket from them. Not trying to be negative in any way, just offering advice. This is the sort of question that crops up often on Trip Advisors Air Travel forum.

Regards BB

Posted

Hi all

well after a crazy week at work who said that we are heading for another recession.

i have finally finished work cant wait to start packing my camera case finally turn up this morning i have got my spending dollars part cash part card

can't wait to start posting those awsome lightning shots........

paul h

Edited by the storm fisherman

Posted

hi claire

if you go to personal message i have posted my mobile number there

pauh h

shame we'r not on a normal chase to my eyes that looks like good cape and lift near colorado/nebraska border.

Hi Paul, sorry I've not had time to respond , I couldn't find your number but assuming this been covered . I just wanted to cross it off my military style holiday checklist pardon.gif

3 days to go clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Posted

Hi Paul (H).

I've just pinged you our flight number (to save trawling through the feed) and my mobile details..

Now for the packing doh.gif

Posted

most forecasts seem to agree with 10% chance of t-storms from Tuesday night and the following 4 nights, with chances of day t-storms on Friday and Saturday in the Phoenix vicinity..............we are going to be busy clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Just been looking at Arizona info and thought this might be worth sharing :

Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act. The act makes it a state misdemeanor crime for an alien to be in Arizona without carrying registration documents required by federal law,

Best keep our passports on us then ph34r.png

Edited by craig1uk

Posted

Just been looking at Arizona info and thought this might be worth sharing :

Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act. The act makes it a state misdemeanor crime for an alien to be in Arizona without carrying registration documents required by federal law,

Best keep our passports on us then ph34r.png

Ahh we'll be okay, we'll be there for less than 30 days, but..........Maricopa County Jail is the only county jail in the US to retain the old style chain gangs and is apparently one of the toughest in the country ..so think we should still do our best to avoid it .

Edited by duckeyh

Posted

Wow, Just looked at the 10 day Forecast and very happy with that. Temperatures between 104 and 108f with Thunderstorms in SE Arizona on Wednesday and Thursday with Phoenix getting in on the action on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Looking like a jaunt North on Monday before it all comes back to Phoenix on Tuesday.

Going to be quite busy by the looks of things, better have all cameras charged!

Paul S

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Excellent, looking forward to the lightning + scenery photography. Air con will be a must out in those hot deserts!

Posted

well would like to wish you all happy hunting hope you all bag some great shots remember stay hydrated in those heats look forward to seeing some awsome pics in the days ahead

Ian

Posted

Yeh have a great trip everyone, Paul will let you know about the additional payments required to turn the air-con on in the car once you're there :D

(joke!)

Posted

well would like to wish you all happy hunting hope you all bag some great shots remember stay hydrated in those heats look forward to seeing some awsome pics in the days ahead

Ian

l

Thanks Ian, get better soon , if it's any consolation I'll be passing on my cold germs to the other three !!

Posted

l

Thanks Ian, get better soon , if it's any consolation I'll be passing on my cold germs to the other three !!

Oh No - Not again! Was ill from May 19th until June 20th this year from various flu and cold germs, the infamous Fish Flu just about finished me off on Tour 4 bad.gif