Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April CET

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

So 11.8C was April 2007's record.

I would say that will be matched with an 11.8C this year. Can't see it been beaten unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure the record is 11.2C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I'm pretty sure the record is 11.2C.

Oh was it?

My bad, I just had the figure 11.8C in my head for some reason. Cool, the record should be broken by around 0.6C then!

I've decided to start up the April CET thread with less than a week to go to the start of April.

1961-1990 average: 8.0C

1971-2000 average: 8.1C

Warmest April mean: 11.2C - 2007

Coldest April mean: 4.7C - 1701 and 1837

I'm going to guess for 9.3C though I might change this in a few days time.

Ah! Cool, the warmest April on record. I've loved this month.

Posted

Hadley remains at 12.0C to the 23rd. Yesterday came in at 13.0C.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

we're up to 12.2c surprised Hadley isn't higher. Another increase today for us as it's warm and sunny and the front should keep the temps up over night. There after probably a slight drop how much depends on cloud and whether we get any clear nights. The same is likely for the CET zone as a whole.

I guess we will finish around 11.8c a new record.

Posted

we're up to 12.2c surprised Hadley isn't higher. Another increase today for us as it's warm and sunny and the front should keep the temps up over night. There after probably a slight drop how much depends on cloud and whether we get any clear nights. The same is likely for the CET zone as a whole.

I guess we will finish around 11.8c a new record.

We're currently level with April 2007 so the cooler next few days may mean we miss out on a new record.

The cooler, cloudy weather from Wednesday to Friday while it was warm and sunny further inland has probably prevented it.

Posted

We're currently level with April 2007 so the cooler next few days may mean we miss out on a new record.

The cooler, cloudy weather from Wednesday to Friday while it was warm and sunny further inland has probably prevented it.

Sorry I meant for Sheffield

Posted

Sorry I meant for Sheffield

I know :)

I was talking about here too.

Speaking of the CET zone, it'll be interesting how far inland the cloud makes it later in the week. It could have a big bearing on how cold the nights are and if dayime maxima are supressed. I think the record will definitely go, but how much by depends on those factors.

Posted

Till 24th of April the average temperature in De Bilt is 12.7c. Which makes it the warmest month in history (if we april counts 24 days!). Probably april 2007 wouldn´t be beaten this year. 2007 ended with temperatures around 25c.

Posted

No change for us still at 12.2c. Hadley at 12c up to the 25th. Downwards from now on as you say all depends on the cloud.

Posted

Oooh, burned :lol:

Actually I was originally going for 11.5C, but then I turned to the last page and found RJS had got there first! 11.6C might yet be closer...

Posted

Hadley still at 12.0C to the 26th, yesterday came in at 10.8C.

A small fall is likely tomorrow to 11.9C. Yesterday's min was 7.9C but today's maxima look supressed.

Posted

The next three days look average at best. Friday could return some quite dissapointing maxima for many and by Saturday we will have some cooler uppers, so I expect a slight downward trend in the CET and therefore gone is the opportunity of recording a 12+ month. Hazard a guess the finishing mark will be either 11.7 or 11.8. I am not expecting any significant adjustments at the end of the month, but you never know....

Posted

Wow,

Its amazing how easily a recent maximum record (2007) is breached; landing at circa 11.7 will destroy the previous high of 11.2 (from the last 360years) Shameful Shameful global warming(!)

Im a guy that loves a snowy and cold winter, im a guy whom actively enjoyed the Decemeber Negative CET recording - genuinely the greatest CET month of burgeoning life.

(But the way) This April CET trounces and decimates the April CET record from 2007 with so much ease its unreal.

It is unprecidented evidence of a heating up of our climate...I choose not global nor warming in my assumption.

The non believers of this increase in temperatures around the globe are doing their environment an injustice; its happening;

I dont acutally think its as simple as CO2 and gases and ozone layer, but that aside - its happening - it really really is happening....

10 years ago i didnt believe,

5 years ago i needed persuading,

Today; after all of the stats ive seen; I would say (and I hate to say it) anyone who doubts the warming of the globe is as inaccurate as one whom believes in the ''holocaust denial''.

Controversial statement, but justified,

In summary

I dont think the scientists have got it all correct, I dont think they have understood how global warming works, and i think its much more complex than what we know, BUT look at the facts, look at the stats and understand.; its not changing, in fact - Its changed.

Edited by Paul T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Wow,

Its amazing how easily a recent maximum record (2007) is breached; landing at circa 11.7 will destroy the previous high of 11.2 (from the last 360years) Shameful Shameful global warming(!)

Im a guy that loves a snowy and cold winter, im a guy whom actively enjoyed the Decemeber Negative CET recording - genuinely the greatest CET month of burgeoning life.

(But the way) This April CET trounces and decimates the April CET record from 2007 with so much ease its unreal.

It is unprecidented evidence of a heating up of our climate...I choose not global nor warming in my assumption.

The non believers of this increase in temperatures around the globe are doing their environment an injustice; its happening;

I dont acutally think its as simple as CO2 and gases and ozone layer, but that aside - its happening - it really really is happening....

10 years ago i didnt believe,

5 years ago i needed persuading,

Today; after all of the stats ive seen; I would say (and I hate to say it) anyone who doubts the warming of the globe is as inaccurate as one whom believes in the ''holocaust denial''.

Controversial statement, but justified,

In summary

I dont think the scientists have got it all correct, I dont think they have understood how global warming works, and i think its much more complex than what we know, BUT look at the facts, look at the stats and understand.; its not changing, in fact - Its changed.

I do not want to start a Global Warming argument but one month is not proof. It could easily be said that Global Cooling is underway given the December we had and the fact that last year was a sub 9C year, the first for quite a few years.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I am convinced also of the unmentionable! Two reasons: as above, how utterly comprehensively has the April cet been smashed twice in just a few years.

Secondly, as some of us discussed a few pages back, the preponderance of extremes and records over the same few years.

Not just here, Moscow last summer, Greenland last winter, awfully destructive, frequent and early tornadoes in the states...

Quite a time to be living through, glad I am so interested in weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

I would say the warm April CET is more to do with a month that has seen constant SE/S/SW winds, drawing up warmer air for literally the whole period. More exceptional synoptics than a dramatic global increase in temperatures. On the back of very rare December weather which was the complete opposite. It is not unusual to see April temps into the low 20's, but this time it has been emphasised by the constant warm air feed over the last 20 days. Global "whatever" will play it's part, but this part is small/minute in comparison to the synoptical side of the month.

Posted

Paul T, UAH satellite record (Ch05 is used, first link) actually shows cooling recently, which goes to show you cannot judge what is happening to the whole world by local anomalies.

http://discover.itsc.uah.edu/amsutemps/

http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/t2lt/uahncdc.lt

It certainly has been a hot April - will it continue into May?

Posted

Hadley is at 12.0C yet again to the 27th after yesterday came in at a suprisingly warm 11.9C.

Its difficult to see where any major falls will come from now in the final three days. Cloud levels could supress maxima but minima would equally be held up, plus the airmass isnt particularly cold.

4.8C would be required for the final 3 days to equal 2007, so the record is almost certainly gone.

Posted

The warmth of this month is simply down to the synoptics - at no time have we have a cool aistream. We have been enveloped in warm southwesterly, southerly and southeasterly airstreams.

It has been an unusual month for the dominance of such warm synoptics.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like I'm not going to record my warmest April at Cleadon, the current mean is identical to April 2007's, with two days of near-average temperatures to come due to easterlies- it's been surprisingly sunny here but this has meant cooler nights as well as warmer days than expected. I think CET-land will end up rather warmer though, and as Reef suggests, certainly warm enough to smash 2007's record. I think we might get a final outcome of 11.8 or 11.9 after adjustments.

Pretty remarkable to have a record-breaking April, not only so soon after the one four years ago, but also just four months after what was, in many northern and western regions, a record-breaking cold December (December 1890 was colder towards the SE, but not generally as cold in Scotland, Ireland or northern England).

April 2011's warmth will be primarily a product of warm synoptics (contributing to more than 3C of the anomaly) with about 0.5C worth of elevated global temperature added, i.e. had the same synoptics occurred 40 years ago, chances are we'd still have seen a record warm April by a fair margin.

Although this month is clearly exceptional perhaps it is simply the result of the consistent synoptics. I don't think we should get too excited about this in isolation.

What is more interesting in my opinion is an entire season that throws up an exceptional result. In the case of last winter although December was freakishly cold the remaining winter months balanced it out into something much closer to the average. Likewise if May turns out to be cool a Spring that included such an unusual month as April 2011 would then be viewed as being only on the warm side overall. However a warm May would then lead to Spring 2011 being categorised as very warm and possibly record breaking which would be much more noteworthy than a single very warm month.

Posted

Although this month is clearly exceptional perhaps it is simply the result of the consistent synoptics. I don't think we should get too excited about this in isolation.

What is more interesting in my opinion is an entire season that throws up an exceptional result. In the case of last winter although December was freakishly cold the remaining winter months balanced it out into something much closer to the average. Likewise if May turns out to be cool a Spring that included such an unusual month as April 2011 would then be viewed as being only on the warm side overall. However a warm May would then lead to Spring 2011 being categorised as very warm and possibly record breaking which would be much more noteworthy than a single very warm month.

Indeed if we record a decently above average May, this spring must surely go down as one of the warmest ever. It would go down as a classic season in the vein of hot summers and cold winters.

One thing I've noticed is how cool Spain has been in recent weeks, maxima for Madrid on Sat expected to be only 14 degrees, jolly cold indeed for early May - it seems very odd that much of spain will only be recording high teen maxima- at this time of year you would expect low 20's even under showery wet conditions - what is causing the unseasonably cold weather can't be low SST's, as I said all very odd.

Posted

Indeed if we record a decently above average May, this spring must surely go down as one of the warmest ever. It would go down as a classic season in the vein of hot summers and cold winters.

One thing I've noticed is how cool Spain has been in recent weeks, maxima for Madrid on Sat expected to be only 14 degrees, jolly cold indeed for early May - it seems very odd that much of spain will only be recording high teen maxima- at this time of year you would expect low 20's even under showery wet conditions - what is causing the unseasonably cold weather can't be low SST's, as I said all very odd.

If April finishes on 11.8C, then a 12.2C May would be required for 2011 to record the warmest spring in the CET series. That 12.2C figure isnt even 1C above the 1971-2000 average, so its very possible.

The reason Spain has been so cool is because it has seen frequent low pressure systems undercutting the mid-latitude ridge that has given us such a warm, dry month. I wouldnt be suprised if they've had one of the wettest Aprils on record.