Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ireland - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Well we will just have to wait and see! To be honest i have been glued to the model thread even though there's been allot of bickering and disagreement on there lately! I check in on it every morning just to see if things are changing but it's like this, not one person in there knows what its gonna be like in a few weeks time as the models can change so much! Maybe one morning i will check the model thread and have a nice surprise! Lol! Also i have just started a new job which will have me travelling around Northern Ireland and most days i will be going up over the Glenshane! Could be a few tricky mornings ahead of me this winter! Lol

Congrats on the new job, I did plenty of travelling in my last job so know all about it!

I wouldn't bother reaading the model thread as it full of windup merchants and whingey english folk (exceptions do apply of course)!!

Posted

We're escaping here on the east coast, biggest gust I recorded was a measly 24mph! A few scattered showers, but that's it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Cheers lads. Got a job with PixiFoto as a photographer so it will suit me! Got a company van to which is even better! Glad to be out of a call centre after 3 and a half years!!

Congratz!. What kinda photography will you be doing Ronan?

Weather-wise, 'tis been a wild day in Cork, plenty of rain and the strongest winds this Autumn.

Posted

I will have my own mobile photo studio. Mostly family portraits and baby photos but the way i see it is that it opens up opportunities for me! Was going nowhere in the call centre! Took me a couple of years of applying for jobs to get out of there! Lol! Thought i had no chance when i applied for this one! Here's their website!

http://www.pixifoto.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzards and frost.

Cheers lads. Got a job with PixiFoto as a photographer so it will suit me! Got a company van to which is even better! Glad to be out of a call centre after 3 and a half years!!

congrats on your new job ronan. I hope it works out well for you.

Posted

Today's temperature 13.8c so far. Incredible, considering that this time last year we were just heading into the big Freeze. I doubt the mildness can continue much longer!

Posted

Today's temperature 13.8c so far. Incredible, considering that this time last year we were just heading into the big Freeze. I doubt the mildness can continue much longer!

better getting this mild weather out of the way before winter starts.

Posted

a bit concerned with flooding, been raining here on and off since wednesday night, some heavy pulses too.

no sign in the weather charts of a let up either. next thursday looks worrisome.

this chart below, if it verifies looks like a classic atlantic train, bringing heavy rain with embedded wave formations.

wave formations can produce a lot of moisture,in turn causing flooding, something similar to november 2009.

here is the chart.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Recm1441.gif

here is chart for november 2009.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2009/Rrea00120091118.gif

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted

Been raining in Cork since early yesterday morning, and looking at the met.ie radar, its ain't gonna stop any time soon.

radar18-11-11.png

Posted

Correct me if i am wrong but didn't we have a decent winter in 2009? As was said above its better to get all of the mild weather out of the way in November!

yes indeed we did have a good spell of cold weather in 2009/2010, it started around the 11th december with hp cell moving up from france, http://www.wetterzen...00120091211.gif

then retrograding north. by the 14th hp was sitting on top of us giving dry cold frosty weather, http://www.wetterzen...00120091214.gif

by the 18th december hp had retrograded into greenland bringing in an easterly feed with snow showers feeding in to east facing coasts. http://www.wetterzen...00120091218.gif

by the 20th winds had switched to a more northerly direction bringing snow showers to more northern and western areas of ireland. http://www.wetterzen...00120091220.gif

then by the 22nd the bitter cold air became stagnant, with freezing fog and severe frosts, and very low temps. -9c I recorded that night. http://www.wetterzen...00120091222.gif

by xmas day a brief westerly flow established which caused a temporary thaw and freezing rain to form. http://www.wetterzen...00120091225.gif

but by the 31st we were back into easterly winds and snow showers into the east coast. http://www.wetterzen...00120091231.gif

north easterly's continued for many days after with cold temps, snow showers and perma frosts. http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2010/Rrea00120100105.gif

by the 12th january 2010, pressure was starting fall from our north and atlantic systems started succeeded in pushing in over ireland, ending our month long cold spell. http://www.wetterzen...00120100112.gif

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted

Would't mind a 3rd white xmas in a row! I'd imagine that doesn't happen to regularly in Ireland though.

Posted

Thanks for that Storm! I'm not good at models or anything and rely on peoria like your good self to keep me informed! There certainly is a bit more excitement in the model threads tonight! I'm just glad to see that euro high being flattened but just like last year things are moving in the right way as we head towards the start of winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Congratulations on the new job Ronan, good to hear.

Well, well, well, finally some changes in sight, although we haven't been as unfortunate and bland weather wise as those in the Mainland with at least some cooler nights, wind and heavy rain at times. I've been tentatively watching the models for a few weeks now and finally we have agreement on a more mobile pattern that could provide us with our first tastes of some minor winter weather via PM incursions. I don't see any major or widespread events for snowfall or severe cold for the next 2 weeks at least, but we have begun to break free from the Euro HP. What worries me is the possibility of reloads of that synoptic in December which is certainly a possibility, or if the Azores (which models have been hinting at) ridging East into Europe and sustaining the more mobile pattern for a few weeks. Teleconnections favour the Mobile atlantic route in which case we still have the chances of some Incursions from the NW.

Posted

Would't mind a 3rd white xmas in a row! I'd imagine that doesn't happen to regularly in Ireland though.

a hat trick would be very welcome and a once in a lifetime phenomena.

must go to bookies tomorrow and put a bet on.

Thanks for that Storm! I'm not good at models or anything and rely on peoria like your good self to keep me informed! There certainly is a bit more excitement in the model threads tonight! I'm just glad to see that euro high being flattened but just like last year things are moving in the right way as we head towards the start of winter!

yep things look like changing next week, at last.

Congratulations on the new job Ronan, good to hear.

Well, well, well, finally some changes in sight, although we haven't been as unfortunate and bland weather wise as those in the Mainland with at least some cooler nights, wind and heavy rain at times. I've been tentatively watching the models for a few weeks now and finally we have agreement on a more mobile pattern that could provide us with our first tastes of some minor winter weather via PM incursions. I don't see any major or widespread events for snowfall or severe cold for the next 2 weeks at least, but we have begun to break free from the Euro HP. What worries me is the possibility of reloads of that synoptic in December which is certainly a possibility, or if the Azores (which models have been hinting at) ridging East into Europe and sustaining the more mobile pattern for a few weeks. Teleconnections favour the Mobile atlantic route in which case we still have the chances of some Incursions from the NW.

good to see you posting watcher, whats interesting about pm incursions, it could pack quite a punch, anyone notice how far south the ice sheet on greenland coast is this year?

Edited by stormforce 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Yes Storm, the ice sheet around Greenland does usually reach the South coast but unusually early this year and so far has spread quite far West on the Southern coast of Greenland. What would make Polar Maritime air pack a better punch is the lack of WAA into Greenland and the Polar vortex. If we see it set up shop over Greenland then certainly a NW incursion would pack as good a punch as a Northerly. It's early days yet and it will be nice to start December (albeit with a Strong PV and Mobile Pattern) with a blank canvas. I will be releasing my Winter Forecast within the next week and I have some interesting thoughts on what I believe will be another memorable Winter for the UK and Ireland, for various sides of the extremities that Winter can harbor for us.

:drinks:

Posted

Yes Storm, the ice sheet around Greenland does usually reach the South coast but unusually early this year and so far has spread quite far West on the Southern coast of Greenland. What would make Polar Maritime air pack a better punch is the lack of WAA into Greenland and the Polar vortex. If we see it set up shop over Greenland then certainly a NW incursion would pack as good a punch as a Northerly. It's early days yet and it will be nice to start December (albeit with a Strong PV and Mobile Pattern) with a blank canvas. I will be releasing my Winter Forecast within the next week and I have some interesting thoughts on what I believe will be another memorable Winter for the UK and Ireland, for various sides of the extremities that Winter can harbor for us.

:drinks:

So can I guess from you hints that there will be times of mildness and times of cold.....looking forward to hearing your thoughts Watcher, it will be nice to have a regional perspective on how you think things will pan out.

Posted

I have to say folks that IMO we could see some good but perhaps sort lived snow events from the North West this year from Mid December on this will be more watered down perhaps for the South east of the Island, January by the various signs looks more interesting for the Island as a whole, I feel the east could be better placed this time as for February I honestly don't know but when is the last time we seen a real wintry February could this be the year....

Ramp over :acute: