Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

lightning died out at 11.30 last night .Woke up to steady rain and now the sun is peeking through .Hope all those who want a storm get one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frosty, Foggy, Cold, Snowy, Windy, Thunder

Morning All.

I agree with Nanu. Here it very much feels like its just waiting for someone to pull the switch.

The sky has that yellow/orange grey look, very warm and humid.

I wonder what today will bring. Be lucky all :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

morning peeps.

very much a damp squid here last light, i am hoping for better to day.

fromey

Posted

Homepage headline updated:

Pluming Heck!

http://www.netweathe...oryid=668;sess=

Don't forget too - we have an offer code running today (and only for today) for nw extra, the 5minute radar, 2 minute lighting etc. So if you would like access, just user offer code UKSTORM when signing up for some nice discounts..

https://www.netweath...gi-bin/login.pl

Posted

Morning all, we DID have some rain overnight, but I'm a deep sleeper so I don't know if there were any storms with it. I only woke up to find dampness.

Things looking good here again. Looks like we're going to get hit now by another band of rain.

Posted

Managed the impossible last night, seeing lightning in Shropshire in this day and age.

Around 2am, there were 3 distant/ish flashes and 3 faint thunders of thunder to the west, the first flash took me by surprise as i was almost asleep.

Anyway just had a heavy downpour, seems to be stopping now, no thunder or lightning with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I think if elevated cells is all that comes out of today, then that'll warrant a complaint heheh. You should be hoping the rain to our south doesn't leave a legacy of thick cloud as you're within the main severe t'storm risk area. Simply put, we want surface-based storm today, not elevated.

I was banging on about this yesterday.....doesn't look too great at present for us...A lot of rain to come from that slowing dissapting area to the south probably plenty of crud & detritus following on...I guess the saving grace is that at this time of year, surface heating is relevant until 6 or 7pm so plenty of time to go.....Tonight though is game on, hopefully some nice embedded thunderstorms.....and besides I'm not greedy, whether it's surface based or elevated, as long as I see flashes and here rumbles, I'll be a happy chappy

Posted

good morning everyone :)

lets see what today brings us all..

temp 19.8

dew point 18.7

93% humidity (no rain)

and it feels yukky..

Posted

Good Luck all I am reday for my 2nd storms of the year :D

I think you'll be in the sweet-spot as well Stuart!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Today looks like a non event up here thanks to an onshore breeze, lets hope tonight brings something.

Posted

I think you'll be in the sweet-spot as well Stuart!

I hope so coast and I hope there be wose then the last night 1

Edited by Stuart

Posted

Watching the loop 3 takes this rain out into Cumbria and Scotland by 3pm, by which time the heating will already be underway in the South from the clear-slot evident. Luckily this drizzle is moving quickly with the jet, so shouldn't pose too much of a problem in the way of convective initiation, if anything aiding it by the help of forcing & raising dew points.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Well v cloudy here today, had a 3 or four rumbles at about 1am 1.15am last night and some hefty showers...

Be another intresting day seeing how it all pans out...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Pluming Heck is a great title. That storm session last night was the best I have seen since I moved to the West end of the IoW 3 years ago, full horizon lightning and the sounds were loud and scary, more to come I hope.

Here is the Spanish radar http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/observacion/rayos

Also here is the hard to get Guernsey radar http://www.gyweather.com/nexstorm/StormVue1.html'>http://www.gyweather.com/nexstorm/StormVue1.html from the Guernsey weather site http://www.gyweather.com/ Make sure your Java is up to date or the Guernsey site will not load.

Even if I get no more storms this weekend, last nights was good enough for me, I had an excellent view. Thank god the garden has now been watered

Russ.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

A light rain shower here. Temperature at 14.8C, dew point at 12.3C and humidity at 85%. These things are rising as well.

When should we see the first real storms develop today? I have to go into town around mid-day and it'd be nice to have a storm while out. :)

A light rain shower here. Temperature at 14.8C, dew point at 12.3C and humidity at 85%. These things are rising as well. When should we see the first real storms develop today? I have to go into town around mid-day and it'd be nice to have a storm while out. :)

Posted

Well we had a nice little T storm last night! started with a few flashes of nice forking intercloud lightning, but these were quite infrequent. Then they became more frequent as another cell moved up from the south. This one passed more or less overhead and we had some quite close bright lightning and loud thunder, as well as a spell of torrential rain. Then I watched the lightning move off to the north, some of the lightning flickered several times.

After this there was a nice display of distant lightning to the SSW-NW, moving more to the NW skyline as it moved north. I watched some of it outside and some of the lightning flickered several times including one powerful looking CG to the WSW which had a brief green glow afterwards like a transformer blowing out. The lightning was only about 1 strike per minute here, maybe slightly more. As the storm moved N the lightning frequency increased to about every 5 seconds briefly before reducing again. Most of it was just flashes but there were a few nice forks on the horizon.

I didn't really post updates on here at the time except at the start because after so long without seeing proper lightning it was go and watch it time rather than 'sit in front of PC typing' time!

Nothing 'strong' but all in all probably the best event here for a few years (beating last Saturday), at last! :D

I tried to take some video and attempted my first lightning photos, but the video was a but fuzzy at times due to it being dark and so were the photos. Wish I could take better ones :( I might sort through them and see what's worth posting when I stop being lazy and get out of my bed with my netbook!

Edit: I forgot to add there was an odd sort of burning smell like 'burnt air' when I went out just after the storm! Not sure if this was the lightning it's self causing this or the lightning hit something?

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

bbc weather has changed 0.o I have heavy rain from 10pm till 4 am tomorrow

i wouldnt take that as gospel, they said we were going to get storms last night, didnt see one!!

its a case of watching how things develop on the radars etc etc.

fromey

Posted

raining here in Bexleyheath - lovely to see! Never thought I would miss rain....!

Certainly has that muggy stormy feel out there at the moment - would be good for the clouds to clear, get the sun out and temperature up a bit more...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Pluming Heck is a great title. That storm session last night was the best I have seen since I moved to the West end of the IoW 3 years ago, full horizon lightning and the sounds were loud and scary, more to come I hope.

Here is the Spanish radar http://www.aemet.es/...servacion/rayos

Also here is the hard to get Guernsey radar http://www.gyweather.../StormVue1.html from the Guernsey weather site http://www.gyweather.com/ Make sure your Java is up to date or the Guernsey site will not load.

Even if I get no more storms this weekend, last nights was good enough for me, I had an excellent view. Thank god the garden has now been watered

Russ.

Hey there Russ

Last night was brilliant I thought as well, im on the east side of the IOW and we went to culver downs first and then to Brading downs as well and saw some amazing Lightning with very loud Thunder. Did you see the Thunderstorm about 6am this morning? I thought was a little beauty with pink Lightning and again very loud thunder making it shake around here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

post-13123-0-72710500-1304758810_thumb.jpost-13123-0-69333600-1304758792_thumb.jpost-13123-0-94549300-1304758779_thumb.jpost-13123-0-30706900-1304758763_thumb.j

post-13123-0-24588500-1304758754_thumb.j

Photos taken in brading, isle of wight from last night storms.

Hello there fellow Isle of Wighter, thankyou for those pictures they look amazing :)