Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

temp has now shot up to 21.3c here so I think something could kick off soon, around 1700-1900 I would say. Still sunny and breezy.

There appears to be something heading your way from the SSE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

sorry about posting twice, when ever I refresh the page it submits my post again! Temp now 21.7.

Posted

Sat24.com is pretty good, Isle of Wight is pretty crap tbh, I use http://andvari.vedur...r/i_dag_na.html as it comes from the Met Office. You also really need to get the Netweather radar, its really good and pretty cheap. I dont think I could track storms without it.

All the Boltek detectors are pretty crap if they are not maintained regularly, they need to be calibrated at regular intervals. If using an online boltek detector on line find one local to you and check it is relatively accurate. The worst online detector sights are the ones that take data from lots of Bolteks because if they are not all calibrated correctly then the error is made even worse.

There are some great detector sites on line such as Lightning Iceland and Blitzortung.org but there resolution is not great and their refresh rate is just not good enough to be used effectively.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Thanks for advice on best sites

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A few cells have popped up in the past few minutes over parts of Cheshire, near Chester & heading towards the Manchester moving north at a pretty good clip as shown by the custom radar grab...Worth watching these to see how quick they can develop, as there's a lot of energy & lift to tap into but still some cloud cover...Further south in the Midlands, there seems to be too much mid-level muck from the remains of decayed storms over France, scuppering convection...It's not over yet, but SB initiation needs to occur in the next couple of hours in this area, otherwise it's a bust, and we're going to have to look to the south for the chance of elevated storms tonight

post-4149-0-33086800-1304781863.txt

Posted

All the Boltek detectors are pretty crap if they are not maintained regularly, they need to be calibrated at regular intervals. If using an online boltek detector on line find one local to you and check it is relatively accurate. The worst online detector sights are the ones that take data from lots of Bolteks because if they are not all calibrated correctly then the error is made even worse.

There are some great detector sites on line such as Lightning Iceland and Blitzortung.org but there resolution is not great and their refresh rate is just not good enough to be used effectively.

Yes, Blitzortung is pretty good actually.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Thanks Chrisbell shall keep an eye out. Gone cloudy here now 21.9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Temp around 21c with the sun out (finally)...dew points at Hawarden a few miles from here at 15c so would think am close to that. Time will tell for all of us though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Will I be the first to see a thunderstorm on this thread? :D

Cell heading right for me. Temperature nudging 20C now.

Posted

A few cells have popped up in the past few minutes over parts of Cheshire, near Chester & heading towards the Manchester moving north at a pretty good clip as shown by the custom radar grab...Worth watching these to see how quick they can develop, as there's a lot of energy & lift to tap into but still some cloud cover...Further south in the Midlands, there seems to be too much mid-level muck from the remains of decayed storms over France, scuppering convection...It's not over yet, but SB initiation needs to occur in the next couple of hours in this area, otherwise it's a bust, and we're going to have to look to the south for the chance of elevated storms tonight

post-4149-0-33086800-1304781863.txt

Will keep you informed, those little cells are to the S-SW of me, about 10ish miles, have been watching them. Wind starting to pick now!

Hope these bugger's perform better than what Man City are at the moment :-P

CG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Will keep you informed, those little cells are to the S-SW of me, about 10ish miles, have been watching them. Wind starting to pick now!

Hope these bugger's perform better than what Man City are at the moment :-P

CG

Rapidly decaying on the latest radar update...

Posted

looking more promising here now, sun out, temps up, bubbling cumulus, and cells developing to my south,fingers crossed, opening the window now just in case i can hear any distant growls laugh.gif not getting to much hope though

Edited by IanR

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

It's really warming up here now.:D I'm hoping Gloucestershire is in for a storm later. We still have some cloud cover but it looks like similar conditions to yesterday.:)

I have had the NW Extra radar up all morning . The netweather extra radar is brilliant and I have a link in my sig if you'd like to take a look :)I think Paul even has an offer on there today.

I will say it again.... Good Luck y'all for later.:drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Couple of Sferics near the coast in the South now on ATD. I thunk surfaced based stuff its pretty much game over sadly however much to play for tonight with elevated storms possible. NAE 12z just out and seems to have 2 areas with one for SW England/Wales/W Mids and one for Eastern areas.

Posted

Convection now popping up to the South, only problem is telling apart the tCU from the milky sky. *just* somewhat discernable using the old sunglasses method, but 'in the dark' for now as to its definition in terms of structure and rainrate. This maybe the ones popping up close to Stoke-on-Trent, but probobally another going up given it looks to be further south in orientation than on the map to my locality.

Posted

some of that is on course to hit the west of london by the looks of things

Its intensifying all the time, thanks the the convection over Northern France!

Seems to be a slight repeat of yesterday, but a few hours earlier biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

.... Not much needed to get things moving other than some clearer gaps. Temps are good and the air is primed to explode.

I hope your right SnowJoke, I'm ready to explode if I don't get at least a flash and a rumble tonight rolleyes.gif

Wind Speed Dir 18 km/h from the South - Cloud cover 1036m

Temperature 20 °C Dew Point 12 °C

Humidity 60% Pressure 1010.0 hPa

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Manchester Airport going for Thunderstorms in the METAR forecast.

http://en.allmetsat....d.php?icao=EGCC

XCWeather forecast has altered and has just taken away our thunderstorm risk today.

Good sunny spells here now after a cloudy day so far.

Temp gone up from 15.9C to 18.1C in the last hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

UKMO - ppn tonight...

post-11361-0-24630300-1304781521_thumb.g

-

must say saw an amazing pink bolt of ribbon lightning early morning! few deep rumbles, then bit later a downpour.:drinks:

Seems to be already wrong looking at the radar and what is coming up into the SW coasts...