Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted

I think a band right through Northern England across from Northern Ireland, but ESTOFEX and the others are all taking a holiday today!

http://www.estofex.org/

I think they must have heard you :D

Looking good for me today..hopefully see my first storm of the year..if i cant get 1 single rumble out of a 'plume' event id be as well writing it off as a loss...

Edited by todd1970

Posted

http://www.estofex.org/

I think they must have heard you :D

Monday morning lie in!!!! The interesting thing for me is that level 1 just over the other side of the Channel. I'm not expecting it here, but it could be good to follow on webcam and radar/detector later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Monday morning lie in!!!! The interesting thing for me is that level 1 just over the other side of the Channel. I'm not expecting it here, but it could be good to follow on webcam and radar/detector later.

Yes a few showers hung around overnight in the S.E. , maybe some mid level convection could create a Kent clipper this evening...

Posted

Good luck everyone.Today could be our day :winky::whistling:

I have a good feeling about today JL. We might need to be a little bit patient, though, as the activity doesn't look as if it will develop until later in the day. I'm determined not to become a member of your 'No Storms Club' :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I'm not confident of any storms here in Cheshire today. Yes we have the sun now, but I think that cloud will build as the morning wears on becoming mostly overcast by afternoon, stopping the surface heating.

Not like it matters anyway, I am off to Scarborough for a week. :lol:

Only 65% humidity too. There's a strong breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I have a good feeling about today JL. We might need to be a little bit patient, though, as the activity doesn't look as if it will develop until later in the day. I'm determined not to become a member of your 'No Storms Club' :D

Lol Brian.:lol: Good luck for today It's getting a bit overcrowded in there at the moment..:o:whistling:

Posted

Showers are also heading North East today, instead of directly North like the past 2 days. Could be better for many since many of the showers were in East Wales yesterday.

Edited by Funnel

Posted

Quite unusual for Norwich to not have had any thunder-days yet by this time of the year,

Exactly the same over here in Peterborough. Based on all the years i've lived in Peterborough we normally experience at least 3 or 4 storms during the spring months and sometimes many more. This is usually one of the positives of living in Peterbororugh because we might miss out on snowfall but we get our fair share of storms.

Unforunately it looks as though E Anglia/SE will miss out again with any storms more likely to develop across the N&W with Wales, NW England looking the most likely areas to see storms today.

Rainfall so far for this month is 2mm. We only had 2mm in March and 3.5mm in April. Its more like a desert outside!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

:winky:

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/forecast.php

TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION 2011/007

A TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION has been issued at 08:45 GMT on Monday May 9 2011

Valid from/until: 08:45 – 20:00GMT on Monday May 9 2011 for the following regions of the United Kingdom & Eire:

Central, western and southern England

Wales

Central and southern Scotland

N Ireland

Eire

THREATS

Isolated tornadoes; wind gusts to 50mph; hail to 1cm diameter; CG lightning

SYNOPSIS

Large upper low to the west of the UK is pretty much vertically stacked with surface low. Numerous vorticity maxima are rotating around the system within the well-mixed returning polar maritime airmass. Deep layer shear is generally fairly low, especially across Eire/N Ireland /20-25 knots/. However, low-level shear is reasonable /15-20 knots/ across much of the risk area, hence a chance of tornadoes. The best chance of more organised convection, with a somewhat higher wind/hail/tornado threat appears to be from SW England through Wales and into parts of the Midlands/northern Cent S England. Here 0-6km shear of 25-35 knots is sufficient for organised structures, perhaps with weak mid-level rotation. Multicells and bowing structures are possible, with a small chance of brief supercell-type structures. With reasonably low LCLs and 0-1km shear of 15-20 knots, isolated tornadoes are also possible. If cells become more organised, a small area may be upgraded to a WATCH.

Forecaster: RPK.

Posted

Thaks jane for that so all looking up for later :good:

Best cape around 15:00, Stu:

ukcapeli.png

Posted

Unforunately it looks as though E Anglia/SE will miss out again with any storms more likely to develop across the N&W with Wales, NW England looking the most likely areas to see storms today.

Rainfall so far for this month is 2mm. We only had 2mm in March and 3.5mm in April. Its more like a desert outside!

Morning Dave

Indeed, I've just been having a look at the NMM precipitation rate charts and they, also, suggest that it will remain dry for your area. As you say, your region and Lincolnshire are normally renowned for their Thunder Storm activity.

Showers are also heading North East today, instead of directly North like the past 2 days. Could be better for many since many of the showers were in East Wales yesterday.

GFS is indicating a 55(%) storm risk, for Scarborough, this evening, so you may well be in luck. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Big beautiful cotton wool clouds in the sky today.

I'm not confident of any storms here in Cheshire today. Yes we have the sun now, but I think that cloud will build as the morning wears on becoming mostly overcast by afternoon, stopping the surface heating.

Not like it matters anyway, I am off to Scarborough for a week. :lol:

Only 65% humidity too. There's a strong breeze.

Weather is glorious up here in Scarborough today!

Not overly confident of a storm here, despite what the thunder risk says. I think up towards Durham might fare better on the NE coast. The risk is here though! Plus I'm at work from 4pm so that'll be the time when a tornadic supercell trundles over the town :whistling:

Posted

Morning Dave

Indeed, I've just been having a look at the NMM precipitation rate charts and they, also, suggest that it will remain dry for your area. As you say, your region and Lincolnshire are normally renowned for their Thunder Storm activity.

GFS is indicating a 55(%) storm risk, for Scarborough, this evening, so you may well be in luck. :D

That would be nice but keep the showers held off till about 8pm please :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Well, we got a small amount of rain overnight - not much, but enough to lay the dust and it at least gives us another day or two without rain before everything goes totally brown.:whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Lots of cumulus bubbling up in Oxford at the moment and I'm liking the forecast for London & SE England from the Met Office:

"A mostly sunny start before rather more cloud develops. Some areas will stay dry throughout. However scattered showers are expected to develop, with a few of these heavy and perhaps thundery over inland parts of the west, especially Oxfordshire. Maximum temperature 21 °C."

Posted

loads of serious convection going on here,looking good teatime onwards.we had a cracking system just before noon yesterday,the allotment swallowed every last drop lol.

Posted

Weather is glorious up here in Scarborough today!

Not overly confident of a storm here, despite what the thunder risk says. I think up towards Durham might fare better on the NE coast. The risk is here though! Plus I'm at work from 4pm so that'll be the time when a tornadic supercell trundles over the town :whistling:

Hopefully it stays glorious all week then lol :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Happy to report some lovely BBCs out my window right now (big beautiful cottonballs) :D Its a bit breezy though and there seems to be a it TOO much cloud for any real surface heating here. It was crystal blue out at about 8am and not a cloud in sight! And then by 9.00, *BLAMO* loads of clouds all at once.