Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Lightning, Tornado, Hurricane, Heatwave

Will be between Stafford and Macclesfield this afternoon mixture of walking, train and bus while travelling home from uni. Should I expect anything?

Cheers,

Mike.

Posted

Doesn't seem like that first line of showers running from Liverpool down through Stoke and to the West of Birmingham is electrified. Looking at the IOW detector all the action is over Wales, the SW and parts of Ireland at the moment. Unless anyone knows any different that is :D

Posted

anyone west of birmingham reproting on those small 'popcorn' looking cells?

Can see towering cumulus with very dark bases to the south west of here, must be 10+ miles away but looks like something coming soon. especially looking at the radar.

Cheers,

Mike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Normal rain I think, just heard it earlier on the BBC South East forecast!!!

I am curious re any E Kent precip overnight...the GFS (and MetO invent incidentally) generates the precipitation in convective looking clusters, merging to give a relatively small area of quite heavy rainfall as it drifts towards the North Sea. CAPE/LI are shocking for anything remotely convective in this area, so am curious as to actually what may develop (if anything at all)...wave fronts can throw curve balls.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Convection seems to be getting going here , and things are looking up for Central/Southern Scotland this afternoon. Best of luck all :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Anyone think i'll see any showers today? BBC video forecast didnt show any for cumbria :cc_confused:

Based on the charts, I would say almost certainly. I wouldn't rule out thunder either for Cumbria.

Posted

Certainly some big showers starting to grow here..its only a matter of time before we get hit with the first one of the day.

Typical though the meto radar is stuck at 11.30am and the nowcast lightning detector is stuck at 10.22am.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Can see towering cumulus with very dark bases to the south west of here, must be 10+ miles away but looks like something coming soon. especially looking at the radar.

Cheers,

Mike.

Im following the radar too, it looks like the last frame is showing them deteriorate :cray: I reckon they are travelling a bit to far N for me. Like NNE instead of NE. There's loads of cumulus about and surprisingly lots of sunshine with how much cloud there is around. Fingers crossed now.

Posted

good to see edinburgh airport has been reporting CB's this morning

2011/05/09 11:20 EGPH 091120Z 18012KT 150V210 9999 FEW020CB SCT037 15/08 Q1016

Also on the 11.50 observation (on xcweather) , reporting Cb's at 3,300 feet :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Considering the windspeed- this line of showers isn't in a hurry to hit. It's really dark out to sea but still dry here.

Posted

Im following the radar too, it looks like the last frame is showing them deteriorate :cray: I reckon they are travelling a bit to far N for me. Like NNE instead of NE. There's loads of cumulus about and surprisingly lots of sunshine with how much cloud there is around. Fingers crossed now.

Best of luck to you as well. As I speak, gone dark, and still, warm and slightly humid still though.

Cheers,

Mike.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just had a moderate shower here from a decaying cell, lovely anvil though!....Some beautiful cloudscapes around here...My eyes are on that bowing line of cells over South/Mid Wales, could give some lively weather, I'm probably a tad too far east for that particular line, but worth keeping an eye on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

towering cumulus clouds to the south here. Just had a shower 15 minutes ago but now the sun is out and helping convection

Posted

cell currently over eyemouth has just given off a lightning strike , detected on the netweather strikestar network , looks like a hefty one. Working its way north into the North Sea

Edit 1310 : Can see the cell to my east , looks very dark that way

Edited by Calum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

CG about a mile S/SW of me at 12.57

Rain just starting.

Posted

Just had a torrential burst , with a huge wave of black stuff (sorry I'm a non techy) coming from the South (Welshpool / Newtown) - rumbles in the distant.

My location - Llanymynech (SY22 6EW)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Starting to get dark here now- at long last!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

that cell near b-ham looks potent, albeit small. Too bad everything is travelling more in a northly direction :wallbash: Need stuff to develop near Oxford and travel north to me. Stupid Notts sheild :wallbash:

Posted

Just had a torrential burst , with a huge wave of black stuff (sorry I'm a non techy) coming from the South (Welshpool / Newtown) - rumbles in the distant.

My location - Llanymynech (SY22 6EW)

Looks quite nasty on radar...keeping a close eye on that one. Got two rumbles (1 close-ish strike) from the shower just passing me.

Posted

Hooray , finally a clack of thunder overhead , in fact 3 so far :drinks:

Hopefully it'll hold out for carl43wrexham...

Posted

Large line of bright white Cb's to my West now. Not quite anvils forming yet, but not far off I don't think. Just missed that shower with only a few large drops of rain at about 1255.

Cheers,

Mike.

Posted

Hooray , finally a clack of thunder overhead , in fact 3 so far :drinks:

Hopefully it'll hold out for carl43wrexham...

Well finally heard thunder this year...just need a storm now and that'll do me. Keep me in touch with whats going on your way eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

that cell near b-ham looks potent, albeit small. Too bad everything is travelling more in a northly direction :wallbash: Need stuff to develop near Oxford and travel north to me. Stupid Notts sheild :wallbash:

It's a bit deceptive, the showers are moving north but they're also moving east. I've been watching them for the last couple of hours and I reckon where you are should catch them in a couple of hours or so, providing you don't slip through the gaps between them.

The band of showers over Wales at the moment looks very interesting, if it maintains its intensity as it moves east.

I calculate around 1600 before that lot reaches where I am.

Posted

Well finally heard thunder this year...just need a storm now and that'll do me. Keep me in touch with whats going on your way eh?

The storm is ever so slighty to my east (a few miles) so I reckon its bang on for Wrexham , and there appears to be another one just down by Newtown on the same track.

Moderate rain , 6 good clacks (my dogs are jumping all over the kitchen!) temp 14.5.

Keep you informed of the next one.