Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Chat And Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost
1630.gif1700.gif1700.gifa snap of thursdays storms

Posted

a snap of thursdays storms

Argggghhhh!!! Typical, just as I am travelling through an area that sees a bit of storm activity I am delayed by a client and arrive after all the action has happened! :doh:

Did see the aftermath of those stormy skies and some big rain on the M25 though :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Yesterday was a pretty good day IMO.

The thunderstorms which moved through London brought a lot of flash flooding, particularly along the A2 heading into Kent where in two sections cars were reduced to about half a lane, lol. Certainly been a while since I've seen that :D

There were lots of branches down too which was hardly surprising giving the ferocity of the winds as the storms hit.

Thunder and lightning was lovely to witness after the best part of 12 months without any direct hit action.

The storms structure as it began moving off was beautiful...managed a few snaps but from within a car and on my BB which has such a narrow focus it was painful (will upload later)! The anvil was very large and pronounced and there were glimpses of impressive mammatus under the anvil.

All in all, a very happy chappy :yahoo: especially considering the SE corner had been ruled out by many sources, excluding as ever the trusty Nick F :D

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

yes the cells that brushed weybridge(about a mile main storm) and downpours that gave a direct hit here contained some impressive tree bending gusts!! what was most exciting was the lowering turning cloud bases, a light ragged grey with some going towards where the cell was coming from and then back the other way, i did snap on phone, i don't have pc wire but il try and get them uploaded some how soon.

Was certainly some ferocious winds generated by these storms over the London area, some flights were delayed or cancelled due to the storms:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13569404

Guest Kent-Weather

1630.gif storms

Those pink cells around S London and over Kent were the ones which bought storms to the North Kent area (and sent Lauren into one heck of an excited puppy lol)

Didn't really get too many pics from yesterdays storm itself but took some before and after ones which are found by clicking HERE. closedeyes.gif

Quite pleased to have a storm. Just a shame not all of Kent got to join in the fun and excitement.

Edited by Kent-Weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Those pink cells around S London and over Kent were the ones which bought storms to the North Kent area (and sent Lauren into one heck of an excited puppy lol)

Didn't really get too many pics from yesterdays storm itself but took some before and after ones which are found by clicking HERE. closedeyes.gif

Quite pleased to have a storm. Just a shame not all of Kent got to join in the fun and excitement.

I was an excited puppy, but was hoping for more on the lightening front, so ended up a little dissapointed.

Guess I'm a spoilt brat!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Slight sniff of an opportunity for the SE quarter of the UK on Monday...what appears to be a surface low is progged to drift from Spain, NE'wards across France into Benelux, possibly scraping the SE quarter.

I do emphasise that it is a slight sniff, as the FAX chart progs the arrival of CF (possibly wave front) as the storm potential drifts across the continent.

Afterwards however it seems convectively quiet as a very warm Azores high takes control around middle of the next week.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Some dark cumulus clouds about today, however it just seems to be persistant light showers more than anything... Yesterday was good though but it wasn't brilliant ;)

Posted

For those of a stormy disposition, please look away now....

MU_London_avn.png

MU_Manchester_avn.png

MU_Aberdeen_avn.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Squall line going over W mids at the moment with some convecting towers forming on its rear flank :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Possibly something thundery popping up around the second week of June for the south but that's so far off that it's purely speculation and hope at the moment!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Tuesday looks like it may have some sharp showers about in East Anglia and the southeast despite the rapidly-advancing high pressure, but I think any thunderstorms will be isolated with relatively low convective available potential energy and

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20110529/12/54/h500slp.png

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20110529/12/54/ukstormrisk.png

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20110529/12/54/ukcapeli.png

Might still be a decent day for those of us who like to photograph striking convective cloud displays.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Tuesday looks like it may have some sharp showers about in East Anglia and the southeast despite the rapidly-advancing high pressure, but I think any thunderstorms will be isolated with relatively low convective available potential energy and

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20110529/12/54/h500slp.png

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20110529/12/54/ukstormrisk.png

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20110529/12/54/ukcapeli.png

Might still be a decent day for those of us who like to photograph striking convective cloud displays.

lets hope we get a bit of convectiom before the high takes over again, i cant remember such a sunny and dry spring..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

for the thundery showers possible in EA/SE tuesday..this chart

NAE 18z showing some ppn - these must be the showers, just hope they can get enough energy to build without becoming flat

11053118_2_2918.gif

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Had some much needed rainfall today and nice to see the risk, however slim, for some convection tommorow.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

They just had TL at Ynys Hir in mid Wales on Springwatch, beefy cell near there now!

Posted

I'd say things are looking good for storms in the South East tomorrow afternoon, better than I expected. Here's hoping.

Posted

yes it is am just down the road in st helens,long gaps inbetween each flash and rumble atm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Looks to be heading SW towards Leeds (I hope)

Posted

Looks to be heading SW towards Leeds (I hope)

it does appear to be.

here is a chart showing the pool of unstable air turning this one thundery, there are some hefty downpours further south of the Tstorm.

you can see the circle of yellow (unstable air) around N Wales..

post-11361-0-98812100-1306805178_thumb.g

Posted

it is looking interesting for tuesday i must say! there would be some nice cloud mountains around in the east today, especially East Anglia and the South East.

if we can get enough ground heating im sure some storms could set off, im not thinking its a high risk, but the potential is there for a storm today, see the GFS charts below, it would be a day like we are expecting some heavy showers around maybe some rumbles, then some big cells get going and turn into storms.

note - some very cold upper air for a time to! nice clouds/anvils :drinks:

post-11361-0-45566600-1306807318_thumb.p

post-11361-0-87890300-1306807332_thumb.p

post-11361-0-31236200-1306807346_thumb.g

post-11361-0-46211300-1306807352_thumb.g

just an edit..

post-11361-0-97326100-1306809301_thumb.g

some energy into the East Midlands so here at risk to.