Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Chase 2012 - Dates And Early Booking Offer

Paul

Posted

Really Enjoyed watching that Ian!

Some great footage and Memories of 2011!

See ya in 2012

Paul

You are such a sweet talker with the local constabulary, maybe you can prime Ian in readiness for next years, tex@rse run-in :rofl:

I wonder if Ian wants to borrow my Radar detector, laser detector, and laser jammer next year, in readiness?

Ian, what say you??

Failing that I have a friend in the US, that makes this overlays that you often see advertising on the side of buses.

I'll ask if he can make a set of black & whites, so we look like a smokey on a chase :clapping:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Lol I like the Smokey Disguise Idea Quent!

Humour the Cops and they seem to give you a fair chance. Although in that Instance I learnt a few Nebraska Laws. Namely if there is enough space for a car to be parked the other side of the white line the Speed limit is 65 and if the White line is all the way to the grass verge it is 60mph. I was in fairness only doing 64 mph when we got pulled (1mph inside the Limit) so was somewhat surprised at the pull, turned out I was in fact 4mph over.

Stupid Stupid Nebraska! :smilz38:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

The hotel you need to look for is The Best Western Irving 4110 W Airport Freeway, Irving, Texas, 75062-5913, US

Tom

Cheers Tom!!

We will be travelling from Manchester. Is anyone else coming from here?

Thanks guys

Graham

Posted

Lol I like the Smokey Disguise Idea Quent!

Humour the Cops and they seem to give you a fair chance. Although in that Instance I learnt a few Nebraska Laws. Namely if there is enough space for a car to be parked the other side of the white line the Speed limit is 65 and if the White line is all the way to the grass verge it is 60mph. I was in fairness only doing 64 mph when we got pulled (1mph inside the Limit) so was somewhat surprised at the pull, turned out I was in fact 4mph over.

Stupid Stupid Nebraska! :smilz38:

Aaah, so a bit like here in the UK, where the majority of country A roads are 60mph, except in Staffordshire, where they are 50mph.

Weird county ;)

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Maybe Staffs is Twinned with Nebraska......Stranger things have happened

Paul

That's quite possible.

I drove through Staffordshire and didn't see a tornado.

And then again we drove through Nebraska and didn't see a tornado.

Maybe they have more in common than we realise!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Cheers Tom!!

We will be travelling from Manchester. Is anyone else coming from here?

Thanks guys

Graham

I am doing Manchester but on the 19th May

but ok trip

Tom

Posted

2 questions...

ND filters or a polarizing filter?

Do I need a step-down voltage converter for my UK appliances once in the states?

Cheers

Lewis

Hey lewis,

Good Polarizing filter for the daytime cloud stuff is great. If you want a stab at daytime lightning without a trigger the ND8 which I know you have would be great. I've never done this successfully myself.

Almost everything electrical you bring over there will be rated for 110 - 240 v (your camera(s), camcorder,laptop, phone etc... check the power supply first though to be sure) so what most of us bring is a 4 gang (or more) UK extension lead with a 1 US to UK converter so you can charge 4 or more devices without hogging every socket in your hotel room.

See ya soon.

Edited by John Hanrahan

Posted

Hey lewis,

Good Polarizing filter for the daytime cloud stuff is great. If you want a stab at daytime lightning without a trigger the ND8 which I know you have would be great. I've never done this successfully myself.

Almost everything electrical you bring over there will be rated for 110 - 240 v (your camera(s), camcorder,laptop, phone etc... check the power supply first though to be sure) so what most of us bring is a 4 gang (or more) UK extension lead with a 1 US to UK converter so you can charge 4 or more devices without hogging every socket in your hotel room.

See ya soon.

Cheers John,

Actually ended up buying a new lens so atm do not have any ND filters. I juggled between the two and went for a polorizing filter as I think I will get much more use out of that. May get myself an ND8 at some point as I know I will regret it when i'm out there! Got myself a plug convertor thingy and have plenty of 4 way adaptors here at home so all sorted for that. You at the Oxford bash in March?

Posted

BA's prices were quite favourable over the break period, and certainly on New Years Eve they were tempting...

I am doing Manchester but on the 19th May

but ok trip

Tom

Tom, I drove through Cumbria this week, but I didn't see you. Were you there?

Posted

What price were you seeing?

When I was looking I think they were around £520 for a Dallas flight return

O f course don't forget that now ( as of Jan 1) there's a new tax so prices will have gone up, I think by around £20 or so pounds per person.

Thank you EU :cray:

If you wanna be seriously pee'd off, then check this out

Passenger 2

Fare £ 190.00

Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges per person £ 355.56

Total price* 2 Adults £ 1,091.12

£190 the fare

£355.56 the taxes!

Oh and to top it all, it states "Operated by American Airlines"

A thousand squid for 18hours of purgatory :fool:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

When I was looking I think they were around £520 for a Dallas flight return

O f course don't forget that now ( as of Jan 1) there's a new tax so prices will have gone up, I think by around £20 or so pounds per person.

Thank you EU :cray:

If you wanna be seriously pee'd off, then check this out

Passenger 2

Fare £ 190.00

Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges per person £ 355.56

Total price* 2 Adults £ 1,091.12

£190 the fare

£355.56 the taxes!

Oh and to top it all, it states "Operated by American Airlines"

A thousand squid for 18hours of purgatory :fool:

They really haven't changed much in last two months. Got mine for £540 end of Novemeber.

They really haven't changed much in last two months. Got mine for £540 end of Novemeber.

Just ran a quick quote and they have gone up substantially since end of 2011. £628 :o

Posted

Just ran a quick quote and they have gone up substantially since end of 2011. £628 :o

Wowo that's a hike, in such a short time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Slightly off topic but does anyone know when the 5th Series of Storm Chasers is going to be aired in the UK? I know it was stateside from September but can't find nothing about it being aired over here unless i've missed it :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

BA's prices were quite favourable over the break period, and certainly on New Years Eve they were tempting...

Tom, I drove through Cumbria this week, but I didn't see you. Were you there?

you should have let me know you were passing through. I could have told you to keep going :-)

Posted

Ian Cameron just ran a flight check for me flying into DFW From LHR And flying back from Denver to Heathrow and the return on the Multi City option was £551 - This price only guaranteed until 24th January in the BA Sale :drinks: Might be even cheaper for you guys flying into and out of the same city

Posted

anyone got any ideas how things are shaping up are the early signs good? missing pat's over hyped enthuastim this year!

I am thinking it might be a lot different to 2011 as La Nina is not present (That was Strongest since 1953) I'd expect a lot more action in the Texas Panhandle during 2012 and also The Texas Hill Country during March and April. An average to above average Season for the Plains States with Kansas and dare I say it Nebraska doing well, I dont think Dixie Alley will be as impacted like it was in 2011 but expect the Northern Parts of Dixie Alley (Iowa, Illinois, Missouri) etc to be more active than 2011. Could see a bit more action in New Mexico and Colorado in 2012 as I'd expect the Dryline to set up much further west than in 2011 which again is good for chase terrain.

All speculation at present but I was happy with my prediction for 2011 with regards to the Dryline setting up in Central Oklahoma with areas like Amarillo getting badly affected by Wild Fires and Drought in 2011 whereas the Norm usually sees the Dryline on the Texas/New Mexico Border at the start of the day.