Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Rain Watch

Posted

Wow :shok::shok: Essex is not going to win it's usual accolade of driest area in the Country this year.

Up to August 4th in SE Essex have had 379.4mm which is getting close to our average Yearly Rainfall total

No wonder everything is green and plentiful.

January with 98.8mm and June with 114.6mm alone were incredibly wet here and over 3 & 4 times the monthly rainfall respectively! :lol:

Apart from the Massive (For us) rainfall amounts the Summer has been pretty decent with Hot Spells and lots of Sunshine so not all bad.

Paul S

Wow, that is suprising! Though Cambridgeshire does usually come second in the driest county league, so not a huge loss then! :whistling:

January gave 52mm and February 28mm. March, April and May combined only gave 15mm! To date, Summer has given nearly 100mm of rainfall, which isn't too bad, though it will take a long time to recover to average. The grass and plants aren't doing too badly though the ground does dry up very quickly after any rain that does fall.

Edited by Ben_Cambs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Wow :shok::shok: Essex is not going to win it's usual accolade of driest area in the Country this year.

Up to August 4th in SE Essex have had 379.4mm which is getting close to our average Yearly Rainfall total

January with 98.8mm and June with 114.6mm alone were incredibly wet here and over 3 & 4 times the monthly rainfall respectively! :lol:

Apart from the Massive (For us) rainfall amounts the Summer has been pretty decent with Hot Spells and lots of Sunshine so not all bad.

Paul S

:lol:

Only about 250mm for the year so far here. Our grass has recently being going brown again with only 1mm of rain in the last two weeks plus a dry July overall.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Paul S

I think my area would be a good contender for one of the driest places this summer in the UK. huh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Should be renamed a lack of rain watch eh? Some places will have done well due to storms which are very local as we know. This weekend is supposed to be a wash out later on for some but I suspect we're out of the region to get the most of the rain.

How rain have you had in June and July TM???

I recorded 84.7 mm in June, slightly above average but 31.3 mm of it was on the 12th.

July had 46.2 mm which is 65% of average and the driest July since 1999.

Posted

I thought it was dry here until I went to Derby early yesterday. Obvious signs there of trees suffering from drought stress with lots of dead leaves being shed; the low summer rainfall has done nothing to replenish the ground water defecit following the very dry spring.

A bit closer to home and Carsington Water is as low as it was towards the end of last summer, possibly even lower, with large expanses of dried mud around the perimeter.

12.7 mm of rain here in the first week of August, which is 64% of average.

Posted

Also very dry around Ludlow area. With the exception of June, all months have been below, or well below average rainfall. In July we had 33mm. The rivers in Ludlow (Teme and Corve) are extremely low, and the Teme is barely flowing over the weir now. Trees are stressed and loosing leaves, and the grass is growing poorly. Ponds are desperately low, and many smaller streams are just dry beds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Is it possible for someone to draw up a map of wet and dry zones? that would be interesting. thanks.

or upload the data of rainfall over the last 3 months and il make one!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

Wunderground would be best for that. Met Office stations don't portray rainfall correctly since localised thunderstorms can make all the difference.

Posted

Just noticed that the rainfall total for the year to date is currently standing at exactly 800mm.

Thought it might be a good time to look at my average rainfall to this date, which turns out to be 643.2mmm, making this year's rainfall so far125% of the average, so I'm well above average. More interestingly, I've had over twice the rainfall than I had this time last year (356.2mm). There have been two years with more rainfall to date; 2002 with 827.3mm of rain (ended up having 1256mm by the end of the year) and 2008 with 811.5mm (ended up having 1351mm), so if they're anything to go by, I should exceed 1200mm of rain by the end of the year. Weird to think that just 20 miles from me, some of the upland locations are thought to have well over 5000mm of rain a year though!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Still a lack of rain here the ground bone dry again and leaves falling of the trees as Autumn starts early. Little sign of any major rain on either of the models so we're hoping for the unexpected.

Just 7.5 mm of rain here 11.8% of average.

Posted

Up to 0800 g.m.t today we've had 37.0 mm of rain this month which is 93% of average for the first 15 days.

The yearly rainfall is still well below average with 468mm so far, 76% of average.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The notably dry year continues in Warwickshire.

Just 9mm for the first half of august in Coventry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A damp and cool day here with 5 mms rain. This takes me up to 158 mms for the month; one more than the wet July's total of 157 mms.

Usual August average here is around 50 mms.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

A damp and cool day here with 5 mms rain. This takes me up to 158 mms for the month; one more than the wet July's total of 157 mms.

Usual August average here is around 50 mms.

That really is exceptionally wet. If the month carries on in similar vein you could be looking at a rainfall total over 600% of average!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

First month of recording rain but I have 95.5mm here so far with a fair bit forecast before the month is out.

120ish is around the average in august so looks like being slightly on the damp side.

Posted

Today will bring heavy showers across western areas, with a small risk of these being thundery. Eastern areas should remain dry however.

Tonight a front will cross the country, bring a short spell of heavy rain for quite a few areas in England;

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack0a.gif

The front will clear east coast shortly after midday tomorrow. Heavy showers will follow in behind the front, and probably will be more widespread than today, though as usual in these types of synoptics, they will be most frequent and heaviest in the west. Showers too in W Scotland, NW England and NI.

Friday could bring some more persistant rainfall to eastern areas, as a Low moves up the eastern side of the country;

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1a.gif

Showers will continue elsewhere. It could be quite wet this weekend in northern Scotland, as fronts swing around the area of Low pressure. It should by Sunday become drier and brighter from the south.

Posted

It seems that it's the middle of England that's remained so dry, although south and mid Wales are also pretty dry. My pond level is now down by about 30 cm —it's never been that low before, even in 2006.

Posted

Tonights rain is of interest, it could produce some sizeable accumilations for some locations. A developing Low and its associated fronts will travel up the east coast, giving heavy and persistant rain to eastern areas through tonight and tomorrow morning. The Met have issued an advisory for Kent, Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk for up to 50mm in places:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Advisories too for N'ern Scotland, as the fronts swing around the Low, giving very persistant rainfall, during Saturday into Sunday. It could also become very windy in Scotland over the weekend, with gales possible.

I shall post the NAE charts once the 12z run is available.

Posted

NAE 12z rainfall accumilation prediction for the next 24 hours;

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/nae/2011/08/25/basis12/ukuk/rsum/11082612_2512.gif

Tonights rain now within the Met Invent radar:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/pws/invent/weathermap/

NAE hasn't performed to its best recently so I'm going to be very cautious over its output. The GFS for this summer in particular has been good for forecasting rainfall. It is predicting a less widespread event, so it will be interesting to see which model is closer to the mark come tomorrow.

Posted

Looking at the Meto one I still feel it's a little too far west, the first pulse has missed us completely and has skirted by to our east, now heading for the IOW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Its all developing now, and its all in the NetW and MetO warnings as predicted.

Anyway i really think these setups are difficult to get exact of where the heaviest downpours would fall.

going by the trees going brown maybe the roots need this rain. does anyone has rainfall results for the SE this summer especially Surrey would be great!

Thanks in advance if u can (:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Blimey raining again today. Not a lot though so far.

Posted

Anyone got any idea when todays deluge is suppose to begin, all that PPN in the North Sea is moving east away from the UK..huh.png