Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Weather Forecast last night at 8pm by Nina Ridge on BBC News24

Did anyone else notice that she constantly talked about what was coming in the South Eastern counties for today.. As the time was progressing over the British Isles, you could see that the cloud cover for today in and around Yorkshire and Humber was patchy at times, as well as some brief sunny intervals. Alas though, we never got a mention. It was all about the South Eastern counties etc.

We have had a top temperature of 21C at 2.30pm, and a very light overnight shower. We did see thye sun briefly at times throught the day.

Note to BBC weather forecasters: The Yorkshire and Humber areas do have different weather sometimes, and it would be nice to be told beforehand.

Have also noticed that she closes her eyes every time she looks at the weather map, so may be she can't see what she is doing and can only remember the SE exists !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I don't think anybody really knows where we're heading in the next 15 years. Forecasters cant even get the next 15 days right never mind 15 years. 

Posted

The met office the so called holy grail of weather forecasting.. predicted after a  warmish april the likelihood of above average temperatures for   next few months..

the following 3 months so far may/june/july etc has been below and well below in some places.

I'm sorry  I have forgotten the person/s names who said at the beginning of the summer, in this thread. It would turn out to be a fairly cold summer but dry.. welldone you were correct. :D.

I would be surprised now if we were to get a prolonged warm spell.Even though we are just over half way in the terms of summer. Infact I think its more likely going to be  turning more unsettled unfortunately..But we will see. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Surely we've all now paid enough in 'Green taxes' to stop this nonsense?? 

http://news.yahoo.com/mini-ice-age-coming-maunder-minimum-spurs-controversy-125244720.html

The whole ice age cometh stuff lately is almost entirely media generated. If only we could pay a sh***y journalist tax to prevent this kind of nonsense.

• Like 2

Posted

The met office the so called holy grail of weather forecasting.. predicted after a  warmish april the likelihood of above average temperatures for   next few months..

the following 3 months so far may/june/july etc has been below and well below in some places.

I'm sorry  I have forgotten the person/s names who said at the beginning of the summer, in this thread. It would turn out to be a fairly cold summer but dry.. welldone you were correct. :D.

I would be surprised now if we were to get a prolonged warm spell.Even though we are just over half way in the terms of summer. Infact I think its more likely going to be  turning more unsettled unfortunately..But we will see. :rofl:

the met office seem to have a bias to predicting above average 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

the met office seem to have a bias to predicting above average 

Really. I don't think so...

Posted

I do.

And you can prove that? As they say: those who make profound claims need have profound evidence. So, where is yours? :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The whole ice age cometh stuff lately is almost entirely media generated. If only we could pay a sh***y journalist tax to prevent this kind of nonsense.

And so is the global warming UK to be a tinter box, oh no more stormy, oh no dryer, oh no wetter and arctic ice free by two years ago nonsense 

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted

And so is the global warming UK to be a tinter box, oh no more stormy, oh no dryer, oh no wetter and arctic ice free by two years ago nonsense 

BFTP

On a wider note, warmer world, warmer oceans , more moisture in the atmosphere = More Hurricanes............... but where are they.............

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

It's now nearly ten years since a CAT 3 or greater hurricane made landfall in the US.

But remember a time when the geniuses in the media were telling the National Hurricane Center they were fools to reject a link between rising hurricane activity in the US and global warming?

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2005/sep/29/hurricanes2005.climatechange

The terrible twins, Katrina and Rita, have caused more damage than any previous hurricanes in American history. Together, they may well have cost over $150bn in property losses, equivalent to 1.25% of what everyone in the US will earn this year. Adjusted for inflation, this is more than three times the damage done by hurricane Andrew in 1992, the previous champion in this macabre league table.

President Bush is compensating for his initial lackadaisical reaction to Katrina by throwing over $100bn of federal money at the reconstruction effort - equivalent to half the amount he has so far spent on Iraq, and double the amount the rich world has pledged to forgive half a century's worth of African debt. Political face is obviously an expensive commodity.

But what could be expensive for Bush's long-term reputation would be an established link between rising hurricane activity in the US and global warming. The National Hurricane Centre in Florida has rejected such a link but recent scientific evidence seems to be running against them.

Tropical storms stem partly from rising sea temperature. Few now dispute that global warming has raised the temperature of the Atlantic by more than 0.6C in recent decades, with the Mexican Gulf recording a greater increase. Rational folk like Sir David King, the UK's chief scientific adviser, believe this explains why the number of Atlantic hurricanes has reached unprecedented levels since 1995.

This year's hurricane season seems certain to be the most severe on record. But the naysayers make two counterpoints. First, they say that much of the rise in temperature is due to natural cycles. The current upcycle may have another 20 years to run, but will then subside. Second, though they concede that the number of hurricanes in the Atlantic Basin has risen in the past 10 years, there has been no uptrend in the world as a whole, and so common global factors cannot be responsible.

Why should we not believe them? On sea temperature, figures are already much higher than they were during the last upcycle, so there seems to be an underlying adverse long-term trend. On frequency, while the crude number of hurricanes has not risen on a global basis, new evidence has established that the intensity of an average storm has risen sharply in all regions.

The odds that all regions would experience increased storm intensity without a common cause are around 1 in 1,000. This is worrying, since the damage done by hurricanes rises not just in line with their wind speed, but with their wind speed squared or cubed. So the damage done by a category-4 hurricane like Katrina is likely to be 250 times the damage done by the more frequent category 1 events. Only a few hurricanes would need to be shifted to higher categories for the destruction to multiply many times over.

Unlike Bush, Tony Blair has (until recently) had a good record on global warming. He should renew the pressure on his friend. No two events can ever be decisive in the debate on global warming. But Katrina and Rita are two very large straws in a very strong wind.

Posted

BFTP

Like I often say, best stick to the science!

Otherwise you might start thinking we're in a solar driven, multi-decadal, -ve PDO/La Nina cycle while we're actually recording record breaking +ve PDO values and a strong El Nino.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Has 2015 really been that windy?

We’ve recently had several questions from the public asking whether this year has been particularly windy compared to others and if there’s any explanation for this. There’s lots of ways at looking at these questions, but the quick answer from our National Climate Information Centre is that – yes, it has been windy this year and a lack of high pressure seems to be to blame. Here Mike Kendon, climate information scientist at the Met Office, takes a detailed look at the questions.

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/07/24/has-2015-really-been-that-windy/

• Like 1

Posted

BFTP

Totally agree, the number of absolute nonsense stories breaches the ridiculous with what seems many competing for the more far fetched scenarios possible to man. I like my science with feet firmly planted on terra nova and not of the what if variety which over the years has reached epidemic proportions. Does that mean I don't believe in AGW no, what it does mean is we don't have a full grasp on how our atmosphere works and that is the next hurdle to cross.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Totally agree, the number of absolute nonsense stories breaches the ridiculous with what seems many competing for the more far fetched scenarios possible to man. I like my science with feet firmly planted on terra nova and not of the what if variety which over the years has reached epidemic proportions. Does that mean I don't believe in AGW no, what it does mean is we don't have a full grasp on how our atmosphere works and that is the next hurdle to cross.

Hocus,

A very sensible post....

MIA

Posted

On a wider note, warmer world, warmer oceans , more moisture in the atmosphere = More Hurricanes............... but where are they.............

If by hurricane, you mean only Atlantic - yes, it is likely to be quiet with a strong Nino in progress. The Pacific Ocean is very active and the combined NH figure is way above average.

CC7xpRK.png

http://models.weatherbell.com/tropical.php

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

If by hurricane, you mean only Atlantic - yes, it is likely to be quiet with a strong Nino in progress. The Pacific Ocean is very active and the combined NH figure is way above average.

CC7xpRK.png

http://models.weatherbell.com/tropical.php

I'll confess to some ignorance on the subject matter here,,, biut does a strong  El Nino in progress explain why it's been ten years without a CAT 3 or greater hurricane making landfall in the US?

If I'd seen some serious science talk from ten years ago discuss that Rita and Katrina might be the last seen for a while I'd be impressed. Instead when it come to predictions I find it hard to distinguish betwwen supposed science and Daily Express headlines

Posted

I'll confess to some ignorance on the subject matter here,,, biut does a strong  El Nino in progress explain why it's been ten years without a CAT 3 or greater hurricane making landfall in the US?

If I'd seen some serious science talk from ten years ago discuss that Rita and Katrina might be the last seen for a while I'd be impressed. Instead when it come to predictions I find it hard to distinguish betwwen supposed science and Daily Express headlines

I'm no expert but it is a field of interest and I regularly read the discussions of the experts in tropical weather. Two reasons stand out for the lack of strong land falling hurricanes.

First is a very hostile environment in the main development region with a lot of shear and dry air - systems fail to develop.

Second reason is a persistent trough over the SE of the US (contra climatology) - this serves to deflect the hurricanes/storms on a recurving path out into the Atlantic.

I don't know the reasons for either of these situations but you can see anomalous circulation on last nine years reanalysis data.

bBkb5oi.png

Mods - I'm off topic here - can you please redirect if not acceptable.

• Like 3

Posted

^^ It's the same every year; until the minimum extent is reached (late September?) certain folks want us all to see a 'recovery'...Comparing this year's July figure to previous years' minima doesn't really say all that much?

Posted

Something nice to read. It is nice to know there is no problem. Really relieved.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/11763272/How-Arctic-ice-has-made-fools-of-all-those-poor-warmists.html

It must be so nice to be able to believe people like Booker when it comes to climate change related topics (or anything for that matter, like evolution, smoking, asbestos). No matter what the evidence, Booker will always go against it with a combination of half truths, misunderstandings and lies, always to convince his readers that the world is fine, there's nothing to worry about and it's just a big scaremongering conspiracy.

It would be so nice to just ignore all the experts, their reports, their studies, their conclusions and simply believe the random columnist that tells me what I want to hear.

• Like 3