Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK convective general discussion and forecasts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

A mixture of rain and small hail here. Reminds me of one of those horrible wintry showers you sometimes get in a northerly in May or October when it isn't cold enough to snow!

Edited by alza

Posted

A mixture of rain and small hail here. Reminds me of one of those horrible wintry showers you sometimes get in a northerly in May or October when it isn't cold enough to snow!

I know what you mean, just needs a howling gale to send it over the edge!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I'm just a few mins further west than you so am now getting fairly heavy and persistent rain. No thunder or lightning.

Yes same here, hail shower has turned to torrential rain now. It's gone really cold under the shower mind! Be nice to hear a rumble or two but I am not holding out today. There was only a slight chance anyway. :drinks:

EDIT: I work over the West End and there have been some amazing cloudscapes today over the Teams area that I could see looking south and west. Shame they never really amounted to much!

Edited by Paul-Michael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Just checked and the temperature has fallen from 14°C to 8°C in this shower. No wonder it feels wintry, it practically is!

Newcastle really is Storm Central this year it seems :clap:

The showers / storms seem to pep up as they move towards Newcastle / Northumberland this year - if you include the rumble I heard this morning that's 5 thunder days this year, and often there aren't any at all before July! The best example was on Monday - some cumulus clouds moved into NE England and erupted into spectacular thunderstorms in a matter of half an hour. I wonder if the dry Spring has somehow helped convection in June?

Edited by alza

Posted

Newcastle really is Storm Central this year it seems :clap:

Tell me about it Paul. I am surprised as my area seems to do poor (compared to others) but this year I have had or heard 4 separate thunderstorms. Quite a turn around really, but nothing like the list at the bottom of your profile! It is my main objective to storm chase in the states next year I am almost saved up!! :drinks:

Posted

Yes same here, hail shower has turned to torrential rain now. It's gone really cold under the shower mind! Be nice to hear a rumble or two but I am not holding out today. There was only a slight chance anyway. :drinks:

EDIT: I work over the West End and there have been some amazing cloudscapes today over the Teams area that I could see looking south and west. Shame they never really amounted to much!

I was in Teeside today and came back up the A19, noticed the same thing... who knows, the night is young.. its all clearing here now though.

Posted

Aye, looks like Tyneside is heading in to a dry slot now, not sure what the forecast is for this evening though..

Posted

Tell me about it Paul. I am surprised as my area seems to do poor (compared to others) but this year I have had or heard 4 separate thunderstorms. Quite a turn around really, but nothing like the list at the bottom of your profile! It is my main objective to storm chase in the states next year I am almost saved up!! :drinks:

Lol yep it is another world out there, have had quite a few people from the NE Stormchase with us over the last few years so you guys seem to be born and bred for it!

Only downside is you will never look at a Uk Storm the same (Have ruined over 50 people now) :lol:

Enjoy those Storms up there but send some Hail down here to us 8)

Posted

Lol yep it is another world out there, have had quite a few people from the NE Stormchase with us over the last few years so you guys seem to be born and bred for it!

Only downside is you will never look at a Uk Storm the same (Have ruined over 50 people now) :lol:

Enjoy those Storms up there but send some Hail down here to us 8)

lol Yeah I usually end up watching youtube clips of storms from over there and think "I need to move" but I am determined to get on this next year and intend to enjoy every minute of it! :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Cleadon has just caught the eastern edge of that heavy shower, but there were some heavy showers here earlier, including a mix of rain and half-melted hail at 11am, a heavy blowing one at 1:30pm and a torrential one just before 3pm.

As others have said, some great cloud formations about today. Chances of some more convection over the next few days too, though I expect showers to be somewhat more isolated then due to the high pressure on top of the country.

Posted

Cleadon has just caught the eastern edge of that heavy shower, but there were some heavy showers here earlier, including a mix of rain and half-melted hail at 11am, a heavy blowing one at 1:30pm and a torrential one just before 3pm.

As others have said, some great cloud formations about today. Chances of some more convection over the next few days too, though I expect showers to be somewhat more isolated then due to the high pressure on top of the country.

Cheers for tyhe heads up TWS. What's your thoughts on tonight. There seems to be some pretty good convective showers popping up all over but they are forecast to start dying down soon aren't they?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Fairly heavy convective showers passing over Shotton. A shower is causing a really brilliant yellow / orange sunset at the moment. No thunder heard though. Feels a lot cooler than of late too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Thunderstorm Watch

period week - monday 4th july-friday 8th july

cape/lifted index

monday evening -

post-11361-0-49372200-1309491192_thumb.g

post-11361-0-07630300-1309491196_thumb.g

tuesday evening

post-11361-0-77381400-1309491197_thumb.g

post-11361-0-32605200-1309491199_thumb.g

wednesday afternoon

post-11361-0-48092700-1309491211_thumb.g

post-11361-0-88214700-1309491212_thumb.g

wednesday evening

post-11361-0-74415700-1309491216_thumb.g

post-11361-0-92621400-1309491217_thumb.g

tuesday we see cold upper temps at 500hpa sweeping across

post-11361-0-21529000-1309491210_thumb.g

by wednesday this covers all areas

post-11361-0-96775800-1309491221_thumb.g

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

thunderstorms are coming for many!! upgrades?yes over the last 4 runs, and wednesday looks the best risk day with more a widespread risk showing, things shift around like CAPE-as we know, but its looking good for next week, il be keeping close watch on this ever growing storm risk for next week!!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

by Wednesday this covers all areas

MU_London_avn.png

MU_Manchester_avn.png

MU_Aberdeen_avn.png

Thursday looks possible at this range, but it's a low risk currently

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Poor mans aurora?

I may be mistaken but were there some Noctilucent Cloud visible early this morning

post-12214-0-46763100-1309510748_thumb.j

Over Barr Beacon to the North

Yesterdays Blue skies, Anvils & dancing cloud bases

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At-r-oUrI40

Toots and the Maytals

:drinks:

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

There were a few showers around and about in East Yorkshire yesterday evening, in particular Goole. Later on, at exactly 22:55 there was a light show way out over the North Sea. Intermittent lightning for about half an hour lighting up the clouds orange red. Checked later on NW radar and these showers were in the region of 100 miles offshore and I was a good 8 miles inland when I was watching them. That is quite impressive.

Strangely, when the lightning started, I had been thinking about something which someone else touched-on above. I have often noticed, especially now that lightning strikes can be plotted, that showers in an area can be un-electrified but very heavy for quite sometime and never become electrified yet, once one does in an area, they all seem to. This was clear on Tuesday of this week when all of a sudden everthing became electrified down South.

I have always thought that this was a property of the atmosphere and that the conditions had now become conducive for electrification and, as a result, all of the showers in an area become electrified. But, as I stood in the field looking out to sea last night, it occured to me that it was possible that, once one shower becomes electrified, then this induces the next to become electrified and so on in a kind of chain reaction. I am in no way an expert on this and someone much cleverer than me may well have published work on this in the past, but it occurred to me that this induction idea might explain the sudden electrification we see over large areas as this effect seems to travel much faster through a group of showers than any physical atmospheric property that was changing could.

Musings of a mad man in a field or is there something in this?

Edited by Muffelchen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

There were a few showers around and about in East Yorkshire yesterday evening, in particular Goole. Later on, at exactly 22:55 there was a light show way out over the North Sea. Intermittent lightning for about half an hour lighting up the clouds orange red. Checked later on NW radar and these showers were in the region of 100 miles offshore and I was a good 8 miles inland when I was watching them. That is quite impressive.

Strangely, when the lightning started, I had been thinking about something which someone else touched-on above. I have often noticed, especially now that lightning strikes can be plotted, that showers in an area can be un-electrified but very heavy for quite sometime and never become electrified yet, once one does in an area, they all seem to. This was clear on Tuesday of this week when all of a sudden everthing became electrified down South.

I have always thought that this was a property of the atmosphere and that the conditions had now become conducive for electrification and, as a result, all of the showers in an area become electrified. But, as I stood in the field looking out to sea last night, it occured to me that it was possible that, once one shower becomes electrified, then this induces the next to become electrified and so on in a kind of chain reaction. I am in no way an expert on this and someone much cleverer than me may well have published work on this in the past, but it occurred to me that this induction idea might explain the sudden electrification we see over large areas as this effect seems to travel much faster through a group of showers than any physical atmospheric property that was changing could.

Musings of a mad man in a field or is there something in this?

I like your theory of this. I did watch a program about lightning years ago and there was a section of it about lightning from space. Where lightning would start and storms nearby would react by sparking off too; so a similar line of thinking to what you are saying.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

There are a few strikes showing up on Blitz at the moment on the south coast but nothing on nw radar??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Their is an old saying"one storm feeds another"..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

like dropping a stone into water it creates a ripple effect, did you notice if the lightning radiated out from where the first lightning happened? or was it completly random?

Posted

like dropping a stone into water it creates a ripple effect.....

that is the perfect line for the idea, the energy rippling out feeding another cell-like re-cycling cells, this would be in effect of single cells, they last around an hour or less but new ones spring up very close by as the old ones decay. Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

not much happing with storm risk but things may pick up next week :good:

Keep an eye on Friday night and through next weekend Stuart, maybe a chance coming for you! :clap:

Posted

Keep an eye on Friday night and through next weekend Stuart, maybe a chance coming for you! :clap:

Thanks Coast I hope so time running out now becuse maybe less then 2 morths before i move to a no zone area :drinks: