Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK convective general discussion and forecasts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Yeah bring it on I say! Hopefully me an Jane Louise will see our first storm! More likely than the spanish plume?! Your kidding right Thant thing was a beast, or do you mean just for our area because we didn't get much out the plume...

I mean just for our area, SE areas do better from plume setups, like that massive crack of thunder at wimbledon 0n 28th June, with Lisicki v Bartoli

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

I mean just for our area, SE areas do better from plume setups, like that massive crack of thunder at wimbledon 0n 28th June, with Lisicki v Bartoli

Haha yeah she crapper herself! And I'd say more northern areas are more prone to this upcoming event?...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Haha yeah she crapper herself! And I'd say more northern areas are more prone to this upcoming event?...

slack low pressure in July with strong sun should be promising for all areas, certainly fantastic CB clouds and torrential showers at least

07 Sep 2010 got a decent storm, and of course 9th may 11 , nothing particularly hot about those days

Edited by snow? norfolk n chance

Posted

Last Updated: 19:07 Monday, 4th July 2011

Valid: 06:07 Tuesday, 5th July 2011 - 05:07 Wednesday, 6th July 2011

Areas Affected:

S and E England, Wales, much of Eire

Discussion:

Synopsis: Low pressure will approach W Ireland through the day with an occluded front making it's way across Britain during the afternoon. Various troughs will be embedded in the W'ly flow south of the surface low and bring a showery airmass across S Britain and Ireland.

Discussion: Two possible areas for thunder exist...

SW Britain/Eire: Post occlusion, cold air advection aloft will move across this area with 500mb temps cooling to near -26C in southern Ireland by midnight. This will increase the potential for instability and allow for showers to develop and continue into the overnight period, some of them thundery. Some modest CAPE develops across Eire during the afternoon 200-400j/kg possible. DLS and LLS will decrease behind the occlusion and given little surface heating the main threat from any storms will be hail and some lightning. Parts of this area will be monitored for increase to thunderstorm risk area. It should be noted that LLS shear will increase into Wednesday morning across S Ireland and a few funnels could be possible there late in the period (probably more of an issue for Wednesday's forecast).

SE and E England: Models suggesting a plume of unstable air may get mixed in ahead of the occluded front with a frontal wave developing during the evening and overnight. This will bring the potential of some heavy rain along with the small (20% chance) for some embedded flashes of lightning late evening and overnight as this wave moves northward along the frontal boundary. This could produce lightning into the North Sea into the early morning hours on Wednesday as thermal boundary increases.

http://www.ukasf.co....rm-forecasts/30

Edited by Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Last Updated: 19:07 Monday, 4th July 2011

Valid: 06:07 Tuesday, 5th July 2011 - 05:07 Wednesday, 6th July 2011

Areas Affected:

S and E England, Wales, much of Eire

Discussion:

Synopsis: Low pressure will approach W Ireland through the day with an occluded front making it's way across Britain during the afternoon. Various troughs will be embedded in the W'ly flow south of the surface low and bring a showery airmass across S Britain and Ireland.

Discussion: Two possible areas for thunder exist...

SW Britain/Eire: Post occlusion, cold air advection aloft will move across this area with 500mb temps cooling to near -26C in southern Ireland by midnight. This will increase the potential for instability and allow for showers to develop and continue into the overnight period, some of them thundery. Some modest CAPE develops across Eire during the afternoon 200-400j/kg possible. DLS and LLS will decrease behind the occlusion and given little surface heating the main threat from any storms will be hail and some lightning. Parts of this area will be monitored for increase to thunderstorm risk area. It should be noted that LLS shear will increase into Wednesday morning across S Ireland and a few funnels could be possible there late in the period (probably more of an issue for Wednesday's forecast).

SE and E England: Models suggesting a plume of unstable air may get mixed in ahead of the occluded front with a frontal wave developing during the evening and overnight. This will bring the potential of some heavy rain along with the small (20% chance) for some embedded flashes of lightning late evening and overnight as this wave moves northward along the frontal boundary. This could produce lightning into the North Sea into the early morning hours on Wednesday as thermal boundary increases.

http://www.ukasf.co....rm-forecasts/30

That sounds great Stu, one can only hope that we all see something. So fed up with this humid cloudy weather we've had over the past couple of days! we've hardly had any rain at all for a while. Keeping fingers crossed for us all.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Hoping for some heavy showers and thunderstorms this week after the warm spell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Hoping for some heavy showers and thunderstorms this week after the warm spell.

Im with you on that one.

Posted

Thunderstorms this week(GREAT) Just as long as they stay away on wednesday! I have planned a day out in Weston Super Mare with a few of the lads who i haven't seen in a while,But any other day this week storms are more than welcome.

Posted

Thunderstorms this week(GREAT) Just as long as they stay away on wednesday! I have planned a day out in Weston Super Mare with a few of the lads who i haven't seen in a while,But any other day this week storms are more than welcome.

iv just been down weston earlier was a lovely evening down there :) lovely sunset aswel :)

Posted

Assume we've seen the skew-t for Wednesday (tomorrow) 12z ?

Which area is that for VP? :unknw:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

iv just been down Weston earlier was a lovely evening down there :) lovely sunset aswel :)

Living in Weston myself, the front has certainly improved after the redevelopment & the new pier. With the imminent start of the Dolphin square development, Weston will have a lot going for it.

I shouldn't worry to much about the weather tomorrow, Weston will probably get a few heavy showers, but I would imagine in-between the showers it will be fairly pleasant.

Posted

Might be a possibility in the middle of the country tomorrow?

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_48.gif

21OWS_EUROPE_MODEL-DATA_UKMO-GLOBAL_TS-THREAT_SFC_36_00Z.png

54_19.gif

54_24.gif

gfs_cape_eur36.png

gfs_layer_eur36.png

gfs_kili_eur36.png

gfs_stp_eur36.png

gfs_lapse2_eur36.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I'm quite happy about tomorrow and Thursday (and possibly Friday!) - it looks like we're about to experience the most reliable thundery set up for NE England, such as the one which brought 2 consecutive days of thunder in May. This has been a pretty thundery summer so far by NE standards, lets hope it continues!

Edited by alza

Posted

Raining here and alot cooler than the last few days,Happy to see some sites mentioning the SW when it comes to thundery activity today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Assume we've seen the skew-t for Wednesday (tomorrow) 12z ?

post-5986-0-34190000-1309848474_thumb.gi

How do i go about understanding that chart?

Also BBC is forecasting storms here for Thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Thunder Watch/Storm Watch

period - tuesday night to saturday

-

Their is the potential for thunder/lightning strikes or thunderstorms during this watch period

-

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

so where is the unstable air - this up to wednesday night(take each day as is comes with LI/CAPE)

1-keeping watch for front thunder and lightning in east tonight/overnight and scotland later

2-southwest england overnight then towards s/se towards morning

3-northern england wednesday pm especially-but many other areas at risk

-

post-11361-0-39204300-1309867756_thumb.g

post-11361-0-14731100-1309867757_thumb.g

post-11361-0-89762100-1309867757_thumb.g

post-11361-0-51547500-1309867758_thumb.g

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

This is a good video - thunder is awesome! Pretty much captures what I experienced a week ago today :D

Sorry - wrong thread I know but it seems appropriate :D

VOLUME UP!!! :D

Much like what I was hearing on Tuesday, many of these sound like +ve CGs

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Fingers Crossed.:drunk: I want a storm sooo much it's been so long

! roll on tomorrow. I WILL leave the NSC tomorrow you wait and see.:p

Posted

This is a good video - thunder is awesome! Pretty much captures what I experienced a week ago today :D

Sorry - wrong thread I know but it seems appropriate :D

VOLUME UP!!! :D

Much like what I was hearing on Tuesday, many of these sound like +ve CGs

Pmsl I dont think that guy should go to the USA or he might have a heart attack - He was either on the phone making a dirty phone call with all that breathing :lol: Or has a severe phobia of Thunderstorms :rofl:

Good Vid though for the noise, much like what we had in SE Essex for about 3 hours last Tuesday