Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

El Gordo! - Spanish Plume Thunderstorm Discussion 6

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather what else!

Bit confused by what im seeing at 12 on the meteox radar!

Here is a capture of it

But i have no idea what it is

post-5748-0-68195600-1309302196_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Here is the location of it, Not sure could be flash pattern or a distorted sound wave caued by the storm,Would have been hell of a bang though.

52.5.9.5.20110629.0000.eu.gif

Posted

Glad to see people in the SE got some awesome storms, shame the forecasters seemed to get it for the wrong day! haha. They got it right eventually, but only when it was less than 24 hours away :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Hopefully this a better image.

Paul Sherman will know...

Edited by silver line

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

This storm does not want to give up: Thunderstorm ID T-5196 detected 10:19

Storm location bearing 57.7 dgr distance 298 mi

Last recorded activity 00:29

Intensity class Weak

Intensity trend No change

Current strikerate 4/minute

Peak strikerate 60/minute

Total recorded strikes 9539

Cloud-Ground strikes 4777 - 50.08%

Intracloud strikes 4762 - 49.92%

-- Strike type distribution --

Positive Cloud-Ground [+CG] 471 - 4.94%

Negative Cloud-Ground [-CG] 4306 - 45.14%

Positive Intracloud [+IC] 2957 - 31.00%

Negative Intracloud [-IC] 1805 - 18.92%

Posted

Hopefully this a better image.

Paul Sherman will know...

Saw this a few times in the US This year - Cant remember what tour it was but know it was near to Omaha when circles appeared around various radar sites - They can also be produced by the radar picking up wind farms etc and bouncing the signal back.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC0QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FWeather_radar&ei=ScQKTubEEsmXhQfrl4TIDw&usg=AFQjCNE-cC6-wvGcRXDfmHodOu2kHBAtWg

Good link above on problems with radar.

Posted

Surprised to see no reports on the European Severe Weather Database for yesterday in the UK: http://www.essl.org/ESWD/

all I can say to members in the SE is DON'T EVER MOAN ABOUT NOT GETTING STORMS AGAIN!!! :lol:

Well, we did get a years worth in a day!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Saw this a few times in the US This year - Cant remember what tour it was but know it was near to Omaha when circles appeared around various radar sites - They can also be produced by the radar picking up wind farms etc and bouncing the signal back.

http://www.google.co...fmHodOu2kHBAtWg

Good link above on problems with radar.

There was a case of bats once getting picked up on the Amarillo radar, I think.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted

radar echoes on sea breeze fronts are well documented, feeding birds picked up as they feed on insects on the front.

Posted
Gatwick Airport control tower was struck by lightning yesterday causing a short-term system failure. Although back up systems kicked in, thunder and lightning resulted in delays of about an hour affecting some flights during the afternoon. Departing flights were suspended for half an hour after the 2pm lightning hit which led to the failure of some ground-based systems. There was no structural damage to the tower. A National Air Traffic Services spokesman said: “At no stage did the controllers lose voice communications with the pilots or lose radar. Back up systems were immediately put in place.â€

Travel to and from Gatwick was also affected as violent storms swept across the south east of England. Many trains operated by Southern were cancelled or delayed by more than an hour after lightning hit between Horley and Three Bridges in West Sussex.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2011/06/29/37513/gatwick+lightning+hit+causes+delays.html

Stormy weather has descended on Sussex with lightning strikes on buildings reported across the county. Fire crews are reporting a busy afternoon with several lightning strikes causing problems. Flames were sparked after lightning hit the roof of a house in Burgess Hill. No one was in the Culpepper property when crews arrived at about 2.45pm and the fire was quickly brought under control.

There was alarm after a tree was struck by lightening causing it to fall into Maresfield Recreation Ground. No injuries were reported during the incident at about 3pm. Crews have also been forced to deal with a glut of fire alarms sparked by the lightning

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9109925.Send_us_your_weather_pictures/

2984407.png

2984406.png

2984394.png

Less than a mile away from where I was at work!!!! (thought it sounded close)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I swear we still had the odd rumble into late last night and we definitely saw a flash just around midnight in the distance. Nothing was showing on radar though.

I will try and get my close strikes uploaded today if i can work out how to get it in the right format. Haven't heard thunder that loud in England for at least a decade.

Posted

Here we go, yesterday in one animated gif!!! (we are in the upper left corner of the World!)

post-6667-0-14411200-1309342860.gif

http://wwlln.net/WWLLN_movies/Movie_of_Lightning_in_EurAfrica_BIG.gif (for today only)

post-6667-0-14411200-1309342860_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

A few CGs during the storm here yesterdy 2.40-4.20 pm , the storm seemed a mid-level type , dont know if that made the CGs more powerfull with a large distance to jump, or if a few positive strikes occured, some potent thunder at times, and 28mm recorded in around 2hours.

Posted

Glad to see the storms kick off yesterday! Even if they missed here completely :)

To all forecasters: Ignore criticism - the vast majority of us find it invaluable and understand that forecasting is about highlighting your opinion of the upcoming risks and possibilities, not putting your head on the block!, so thanks from us all and keep them coming.

:) Sam

Posted

Ok i have a crap camera and the mic is blocked up with mud from the jungle but here is a montage of the best bits, the video does not do the storm justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFyywnP2bnc

I hear la strike alertie!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

My storm video..........

Edited by Victor Meldrew

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Ok i have a crap camera and the mic is blocked up with mud from the jungle but here is a montage of the best bits, the video does not do the storm justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFyywnP2bnc

great vid, see how close that strike was at 45secs!!

Posted

Cheers mate. I think it is about time I upgrade my camera. I am thinking of going down the lines of a GoPro HD camera mounted on the outside of the car but car tax and insurance have to come before I can go down that route.

Something that is not clear in the film is the lightning strike that struck Chichester cathedral. That strike at 45 seconds went into Goodwood airfield where they are setting up for the Goodwood festival of speed. I bet it left some skid marks lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

My video is uploading slowly. Couldn't edit it down ans video editor was broken so it's a ten minute video.

Video will be posted later.

Posted

Cheers mate. I think it is about time I upgrade my camera. I am thinking of going down the lines of a GoPro HD camera mounted on the outside of the car but car tax and insurance have to come before I can go down that route.

Something that is not clear in the film is the lightning strike that struck Chichester cathedral. That strike at 45 seconds went into Goodwood airfield where they are setting up for the Goodwood festival of speed. I bet it left some skid marks lol

hi where abouts were you while you were filming? mark.

Posted

I was up on the Trundle about a km the other side of the hill from Goodwood horse racing stadium.

If you enter this Grid ref SU872110 using this link you will see a viewing area on OS mapping.

I hope that helps.

Edit: It would help if I added the link The Link

Edited by Adi F

Posted

Have been down in Brighton for a few days and enjoyed 3 great thunderstorms yesterday, Lot's of close lightning and thunder, the best I have seen since 2008.

I was lucky to be down there as there was no such activity in Wiltshire.