Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Elenin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It'll be fine....:rolleyes: scare mongering just doesn't scare me anymore lol. By the way has nobody noticed the 2 suns in the sky lately?? :whistling:

I agree with the first part about it been fine.

The 2 suns in the sky :lol:

Only people in the West will know. Been too cloudy elsewhere to even see it lol.

Posted

By the way has nobody noticed the 2 suns in the sky lately?? :whistling:

Yeah.. They're hiding a brown dwarf and planet x..

:crazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Yeah.. They're hiding a brown dwarf and planet x..

:crazy:

Phew, I'm glad you noticed too...:lol: and there's me thinking I'm going mad. :p:whistling:

I agree with the first part about it been fine.

The 2 suns in the sky :lol:

Only people in the West will know. Been too cloudy elsewhere to even see it lol.

Time will reveal :D Pretty good for photography though. I'm going to take some photos of a double sunset and planet x send them to space weather.:)

Posted

Phew, I'm glad you noticed too...:lol: and there's me thinking I'm going mad. :p:whistling:

Time will reveal :D Pretty good for photography though. I'm going to take some photos of a double sunset and planet x send them to space weather.:)

Double sunset? mellow.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Double sunset? mellow.gif

Here you go.:winky: It already happened in June.

The mysterious double sunset will once again be visible in good weather from several locations in North Staffordshire and West Derbyshire

Monday June 20, Tuesday June 21 (the summer solstice) and Wednesday, June 22,

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/have_you_seen_the_mysterious_double_sunset_1_3482200 :)

Posted

Ah I see, so you already missed it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

NASA are covering nothing up?

It is hard to imagine anyone would take this seriously.

I am going to wait one more week before I take the tin foil off my head and come out from under the bed just in case.:unsure:

Posted

I am going to wait one more week before I take the tin foil off my head and come out from under the bed just in case.:unsure:

laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

As the comments I quoted above, a comet is a big, loose collection of ice and dirt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet

If a comet managed to get near enough to Earth it would break up and melt in our atmosphere - in the really mega-unlikely event anything got through, it would be like a large Slush Puppy slapping you in the face. :pardon:

Erm, sorry Robin, but that's simply not true!

If a comet was on an inpact trajectory with earth and in doing so entered earths atmosphere it would not melt in the atmosphere or be like a slush puppy !...It would be more like a the equivalent of several billion megatons of TNT going off at the same time, an utter extinction event...Make no bones about it, it would wipe humanity (and a good majority of other life) off the face of the planet....The good news is that at the present time there is no known comet with a possible impact trajectory or anything remotely close to causing an impact and extinction event..

There's loads of conspiracy theories about a brown dwarf (a failed star, or rather a ball of hydrogen with insufficiant mass to under go thermonuclear reactions) hiding out in the Oort Cloud which is heading for an impact...What complete and utter garbage.....It's another fairey tale, come to think of it, I remember 'grumpy' & 'sleepy', but never a brown dwarf! :lol:

Sorry to say it Yamkin, but sometimes you don't half post some crap! :fool:

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Erm, sorry Robin, but that's simply not true!

If a comet was on an inpact trajectory with earth and in doing so entered earths atmosphere it would not melt in the atmosphere or be like a slush puppy !...It would be more like a the equivalent of several billion megatons of TNT going off at the same time, an utter extinction event...Make no bones about it, it would wipe humanity (and a good majority of other life) off the face of the planet....The good news is that at the present time there is no known comet with a possible impact trajectory or anything remotely close to causing an impact and extinction event..

There's loads of conspiracy theories about a brown dwarf (a failed star, or rather a ball of hydrogen with insufficiant mass to under go thermonuclear reactions) hiding out in the Oort Cloud which is heading for an impact...What complete and utter garbage.....It's another fairey tale, come to think of it, I remember 'grumpy' & 'sleepy', but never a brown dwarf! :lol:

Sorry to say it Yamkin, but sometimes you don't half post some crap! :fool:

Both posts were partially true.

Everything would depend on the size and density of the object. The less dense, the more likely it is to burn up before impact.

Posted

well, its a race to the finish! what's going to kill us first? the comet elenin? planet x? the ice age? a supervolcano? the mayan doomsday?

looks like we've had it really!!

however, i think we have more chance of being killed by the ton of bull**** that comes flying out of some of these posts!! :80:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Both posts were partially true.

Everything would depend on the size and density of the object. The less dense, the more likely it is to burn up before impact.

Nope, disagree I'm afraid...A comet impact would cause massive destruction on a continental if not global scale....It's not so much the comet's composition, rather the kinetic energy release...An impactor or atmosphere piercing comet travelling at 20 or so miles per second with a size of say 1/2 mile or more would release at least a million megatons of energy...The atmosphere would not burn up the comet, it would in fact be as if the atmosphere wasn't even there (a knife through butter analogy springs to mind)....The density factor for an object travelling at such a speed is fairly irrelevant in this scenario.....A good example was the Tunguska explosion of 1908 over Siberia.....worth having a read up on this one, it was either a small asteroid or comet fragment (from comet Eckne) depending on which hypothesis you favour, approx 10 meters in diameter, resulting in an airburst with a 10-15 megaton yield causing a 830 square mile area of devastation, and this was, in astronomical terms, a tiny impactor...Aagain, would like to add that impacts/airbursts of even these sized fragments are very rare indeed, nothing to worry about!

well, its a race to the finish! what's going to kill us first? the comet elenin? planet x? the ice age? a supervolcano? the mayan doomsday?

looks like we've had it really!!

however, i think we have more chance of being killed by the ton of bull**** that comes flying out of some of these posts!! :80:

Bobbydog, you forget a black hole!...isn't there one in Calcutta? ....lol

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Nope, disagree I'm afraid...A comet impact would cause massive destruction on a continental if not global scale....It's not so much the comet's composition, rather the kinetic energy release...An impactor or atmosphere piercing comet travelling at 20 or so miles per second with a size of say 1/2 mile or more would release at least a million megatons of energy...The atmosphere would not burn up the comet, it would in fact be as if the atmosphere wasn't even there (a knife through butter analogy springs to mind)....The density factor for an object travelling at such a speed is fairly irrelevant in this scenario.....A good example was the Tunguska explosion of 1908 over Siberia.....worth having a read up on this one, it was either a small asteroid or comet fragment (from comet Eckne) depending on which hypothesis you favour, approx 10 meters in diameter, resulting in an airburst with a 10-15 megaton yield causing a 830 square mile area of devastation, and this was, in astronomical terms, a tiny impactor...Aagain, would like to add that impacts/airbursts of even these sized fragments are very rare indeed, nothing to worry about!

Bobbydog, you forget a black hole!...isn't there one in Calcutta? ....lol

Maybe, but I still think that the density of a comet would make a huge difference.

Comets are made of ice and dust. The atmosphere would heat the ice causing it to melt, therefore burning up a comet.

Hopefully we will never find out who was right. nonono.gif

Posted

Maybe, but I still think that the density of a comet would make a huge difference.

Comets are made of ice and dust. The atmosphere would heat the ice causing it to melt, therefore burning up a comet.

no, aj is right. if a comet is travelling at 20 miles per second and completely melts before it hits the ground, where does all the kinetic energy go? it transfers to the atmosphere. it may not impact the ground but what you are left with is a shockwave on a par with an airburst nuclear explosion (hence the reference to tunguska)

just to add, the point of an airburst nuke is, they are more devastating over a wider area.

Edited by bobbydog

Posted

No it, wouldn't

The atmospheric friction would cause the earthward facing side of the comet to melt, resulting in a huge & devastating energy release and shockwave, not a good day to around at all!

We already know......KT Boundary Event, 65 million years ago, a comet, estimated size 5-10 miles impacted in the Yukatan peninsular wiping out over 70% of life on earth, famously the dinosaurs..

Backtrack, I know the possibilties of these things happening are frightening, but they're so incredibly rare, and the chances of such an event happening in our lifetimes are millions to one....In fact they're so rare, there's more probability of Yamkin making a sensible post in this thread than a comet impact!! :lol:

edit, Bobbydog beat me to it! lol

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

In fact they're so rare, there's more probability of Yamkin making a sensible post in this thread than a comet impact!!

Never a truer word.

It's going to be more than a quarter of the distance of the Sun away from us. Get a grip!

Posted

In fact they're so rare, there's more probability of Yamkin making a sensible post in this thread than a comet impact!!

Never a truer word.

It's going to be more than a quarter of the distance of the Sun away from us. Get a grip!

not a million miles away then......:whistling:

Posted

not a million miles away then......:whistling:

Nope, 22 million actually.

Posted

Nope, 22 million actually.

23.4 million actually, did my humour lose you a bit then? :wallbash:

Posted

Boys, boys. You're on the same side, stop squabbling.

So it will be c. 90 times as far away as the Moon at closest approach to Earth. Perhaps I don't need to invest in a bunker 90 feet below ground level and 50,000 years' worth of food after all.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

Boys, boys. You're on the same side, stop squabbling.

So it will be c. 90 times as far away as the Moon at closest approach to Earth. Perhaps I don't need to invest in a bunker 90 feet below ground level and 50,000 years' worth of food after all.

Which, of course, to debunk the conspiracy theories, is not an alien base, but is in fact made of cheese! :whistling:

Posted

Given that the Americans seem to have laid claim to it, presumably it's either Monterey Jack or spray-on cheese?

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

Given that the Americans seem to have laid claim to it, presumably it's either Monterey Jack or spray-on cheese?

Colby-jack I believe......oh, wait a minute, I've got it! Yamkin's on to something!.........The moon's actually going to collide with earth!!.... think about it?...... the moon is made of cheese, the shuttle atlantis was made in America, one of the crew has dutch ancestry, the word 'made' is an anagram of 'edam' the famous dutch cheese...It's all starting to to fit now, all I need now is an american-Italian astronaut with the surname "Gorgonzola" to be placed on the International space station, and the New World Order of cheese plot riddle is solved by using the moon as a weapon of mass destruction!!........or, like some posters, am I just talking completely out of my bum? :whistling:

Posted

Correct me if im wrong but I always thought Comet Honda will come closer to earth very soon than Elenin?

I do have one question to ask you all. Just suppose this is real and the Governments did know the end of the world is coming. Do you honestly think they would tell us years in advance. The reality is like the movies, ordinary members of the public would recieve little warning i.e few months. Surely we all realise the pandimonium that would occur if we knew years in advance. Also would you want to be informed years in advance? My answer is no because if we can't do anything about it why spend all those years worrying. I would prefer only a few weeks advance notice so I could say goodbye to my family.

Obviously alot of these videos on youtube are tripe. However one fact that cannot be argued is that at some stage a natural disaster will occur and this will wipe out much of the human race. Whether this happens this year or in a million years nobody really knows!

Posted

Never a truer word.

I have never understood all the sensationalist nonsense surrounding Elenin.