Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Elenin.

Posted

No he doesn't. He's talking complete and utter tosh.

and whats your facts to back this up?

Posted

About 4000 years of science, what are yours to substiantiate his?

For a start - the description as comet Elanin as a dwarf star shows that he hasn't got a clue wtf he's talking about. A comet is a relatively small body - at most a few miles across - made up of dust and ice in something akin to a snowball squished together by a kid playing on the spoil heap from a coal mine, and only a few degrees above absolute zero, e.g. c. -270C at it its coldest time.

A star is a ball of plasma at temperatures of thousands of degrees in which lighter elements are being fused together at very high energies - makes what's going on in the Large Hadron Collider look like Kindergarton compared to Harvard University.

I could be very unkind and suggest that if you don't understand the difference you should perhaps do a bit of research ...

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

No he doesn't. He's talking complete and utter tosh.

It really makes you wonder if these people were actually born on planet earth...lol.....He obviously doesn't know what a brown dwarf is....For those who don't, a brown dwarf is a jupiter sized (80,000+ mile in diameter) ball of hydrogen which lacks sufficient mass to collapse under its own weight to start thermonuclear reactions, hence the moniker 'failed star'....if though these objects are dim, compared to a star, they radiate plenty of heat (several hundred to 2000 celcius) so emmit radiation strongly in the infrared spectrum making them clearly visible to infrared telescopes...Due to their mass (0.1-0.3 solar masses) they exert a strong gravitational influence on nearby celestial bodies, so believe me, if Elenin was a brown dwarf, its gravitational influence would have been felt for millenia in the outer & inner solar system and would have resulted in planets either being ejected from the solar system via gravitational slingshot, or, would have caused the planets orbits to fluctuate wildely into crazy eccentric orbits....This, of course, has not happened, the reason this has not happened is because Elenin is not a brown dwarf, just a bog standard long period comet which in this particular orbit, will pass approx 22 or million miles from earth...Not science fiction folks, but science fact, so anyone who believes Elenin is a brown dwarf either has very little knowledge of astronomy, is a conspiracy theorist and thus not worth the time of day, or is just plain stupid!

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Odd video from NASA!

Agreed... but it is a bit of common sense. How many people carry stocks of food and water that would see them over a three week period say??

It makes sense to me because during that heavy snowfall we had back end of last year, there were so many people who were panic buying food stuffs because there was a question mark over when the next deliveries were due. Most people carry a max of 3 days worth of supplies, if some surveys are to be believed.

Posted

Can't see TEITS's linky, but assume it's to do with Atlantis taking up a year's supply of food to the space station. That's not about comets or wotnot and the risk of impact, that's about the fact that their only link to supplies from Earth is about 8 spacecraft a year launched from Kazakhstan. After all, they don't have access to that many corner shops.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Can this thread be locked or deleted yet? It's wondered a million miles off topic, with more senseless garbage been posted and more conspiracies popping up left right and centre.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Ok,

I felt I had to post this one up! I've just received this in my science news feeds. This is a lot more realistic then the doom and gloom regards Comet Elenin.

And no, I am certainly not scare mongering after all ,this is from a reputable site named softpedia , therefore this is a very interesting article.:)

Astronomers say that they may have discovered the trails left behind by a comet passing through our neighborhood recently. The object itself has yet to be identified, but researchers say that it could pose a threat to our planet.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Potentially-Dangerous-Comet-May-Lurk-About-213874.shtml

Posted

Ok,

I felt I had to post this one up! I've just received this in my science news feeds. This is a lot more realistic then the doom and gloom regards Comet Elenin.

And no, I am certainly not scare mongering after all ,this is from a reputable site named softpedia , therefore this is a very interesting article.:)

Astronomers say that they may have discovered the trails left behind by a comet passing through our neighborhood recently. The object itself has yet to be identified, but researchers say that it could pose a threat to our planet.

http://news.softpedi...ut-213874.shtml

I now feel sick with worry. I mean sick. I feel like vomiting. cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Get a grip Backtrack!....the story Jane posted was on space.com this morning...Again, not alarmed in the slightest, just the fractured remains of an extinct comet, barely newsworthy tbh

Posted

I didn't post it to worry you! I detect you have a lot of anxiety regarding all this end of the world stuff. There really is no need to worry about it. There's no point in worrying about what we can't control.

This may not even happen anyway ... It's just an interesting article that I thought was worth a mention and it doesn't scare me in the slightest and I suffer very badly with anxiety.:)

Posted

Get a grip Backtrack!....the story Jane posted was on space.com this morning...Again, not alarmed in the slightest, just the fractured remains of an extinct comet, barely newsworthy tbh

It was the coma (tail) of a comet still orbiting us, was it not?

I didn't post it to worry you! I detect you have a lot of anxiety regarding all this end of the world stuff. There really is no need to worry about it. There's no point in worrying about what we can't control.

This may not even happen anyway ... It's just an interesting article that I thought was worth a mention and it doesn't scare me in the slightest and I suffer very badly with anxiety.:)

Since I was bombarded with crap about the LHD (Large hadron collier) a couple of years back, pretty much anything causes me anxiety. More so about comets, because not alot can be done about them!

Posted

Looks like softpedia's misreporting.....space.com held an interview with the same scientist Peter Jennisken resulting in a somewhat differing viewpoint

interview

Posted

I hope it's only the tail of it that came close to us. Either that or it's a meter wide.

Please. air_kiss.gif

Posted

It was the coma (tail) of a comet still orbiting us, was it not?

Since I was bombarded with crap about the LHD (Large hadron collier) a couple of years back, pretty much anything causes me anxiety. More so about comets, because not alot can be done about them!

Yes, I was terrified of the LHC at first but after studying and researching it I found it was no threat at all,I actually find it all really interesting and I'm quite excited about the results we may find. :D

Looks like softpedia's misreporting.....space.com held an interview with the same scientist Peter Jennisken resulting in a somewhat differing viewpoint

interview

Another interesting article. I see the chances are very small. Certainly a good read though.:)

Posted

Yes, I was terrified of the LHC at first but after studying and researching it I found it was no threat at all,I actually find it all really interesting and I'm quite excited about the results we may find. :D

I had faith in Stephen Hawking all along. It's just idiots that make rubbish up to make life miserable for other people that annoy me. The government should monitor everything posted on the internet. Just like in China.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Why worry about something you have no control over? Doesn't help you in any way shape or form. Stick to factual sites and not the conspiracy stuff and you'll start to feel better. Life goes on for now so use it to your best abilities.... :)

Posted

Why worry about something you have no control over? Doesn't help you in any way shape or form. Stick to factual sites and not the conspiracy stuff and you'll start to feel better. Life goes on for now so use it to your best abilities.... :)

Hehe, very true. I will do exactly that, thanks Pottyprof. :)

Posted

I had faith in Stephen Hawking all along. It's just idiots that make rubbish up to make life miserable for other people that annoy me. The government should monitor everything posted on the internet. Just like in China.

There are so many scare mongers out there! and I believe they should be punished for scaring the life out of people. They really don't scare me anymore. If ever I was unsure I would always research it and then felt silly for worrying over nothing!

Posted

There are so many scare mongers out there! and I believe they should be punished for scaring the life out of people. They really don't scare me anymore. If ever I was unsure I would always research it and then felt silly for worrying over nothing!

Especially Harold Camping. Senile old fool.

That article you posted though is still naggling in the back of my head. I hope they are wrong about any possible danger!

Posted

Especially Harold Camping. Senile old fool.

That article you posted though is still naggling in the back of my head. I hope they are wrong about any possible danger!

Just wondering, when it's time to depart this mortal coil, what would you rather have?.....Spend your last few months in agony whilst cancer eats you alive? spend your last few months not even aware of the world around due to senile dementia?.....wasting away due to some incurable disease?.....or maybe spend your last few moments witnessing the beauty & awe of nature at its most extreme as a comet impacts?....don't know about you, but I'd go for the latter, I'd get to go quick & painless knowing that my last memory would be "WOW!"

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Just wondering, when it's time to depart this mortal coil, what would you rather have?.....Spend your last few months in agony whilst cancer eats you alive? spend your last few months not even aware of the world around due to senile dementia?.....wasting away due to some incurable disease?.....or maybe spend your last few moments witnessing the beauty & awe of nature at its most extreme as a comet impacts?....don't know about you, but I'd go for the latter, I'd get to go quick & painless knowing that my last memory would be "WOW!"

What have you been reading? mellow.gif

I don't plan on any of those things for at least 80 years.

Posted

What have you been reading? mellow.gif

I don't plan on any of those things for at least 80 years.

You didn't understand my post......You're worried about a natural catastrophe wiping you out, such as an impact correct?.......if, and I do mean if, it happens it would be quick & painless, so why worry about it??.....kinda pointless really, there are far more common things in life to worry about...now do you get it?

I'm not going to post again in this thread replying to your concerns as it seems regardless of what advice & scientific fact is presented to you, you still don't believe in said fact & advice, and come back with yet another 'what if?....."

Sorry

Posted

I know, sorry but I'm silly like that. My mind loves making me feel anxious and scared. I know there's nothing to worry about. But my mind thinks otherwise.