Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The Uk - Chat Thread 2

Coast

Posted

New thread as the old girl comes into the approach!

Posted

feels very muggy here 17.5 degrees and rising

Tropical air in Eastbourne without having to go to the Tropics!! clap.gif

Does anyone remember the warm and sticky period leading up to the 1987 storm? whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

ildhlw.png

Oh my goodnesslaugh.png

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

morning folks after a muggy thundery night what's the models saying as to the projected path of katia

I take it she is still on course to hit the north worst

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted

morning folks after a muggy thundery night what's the models saying as to the projected path of katia

I take it she is still on course to hit the north worst

US models further North, GFS a smidge more South and most European's still a little South and same for MetO. Pressure variance for all of them is wide and I don't think any model has a grip on it yet. Too many more runs and info to come before we have a better idea.

Posted

Not expecting anything too significant from this for my region. I should imagine we'll probably see the odd gust of around 60mph, which should be enough to bring one or two branches down. However, I'll be getting one or two supplies in just in case we lose our power supply, which often happens when it's windy around here.

Posted

US models further North, GFS a smidge more South and most European's still a little South and same for MetO. Pressure variance for all of them is wide and I don't think any model has a grip on it yet. Too many more runs and info to come before we have a better idea.

thank you coast for the quick update do you think the met will need to take a firm decision today as to which model looks the most likely and issue further warnings?

Edited by glasgow-guy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

According to the forecast this morning widespread gales or severe gales across much of the UK with the north-west experiencing the strongest winds of around 70mph with 40-50mph max for southern areas so sounds like this has been a little downgraded to me, either that or the BBC have gravely under-estimated this storm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Met Office West Highland forecast:

"Monday

A deep area of low pressure will cross Northern Scotland bringing very unsettled weather. Winds will be up to storm or hurricane force across higher ridges and summits. There will also be spells of rain, heavy at times with extensive hill fog."

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/westhighland/westhighland_latest_pressure.html

Posted

Not expecting anything too significant from this for my region. I should imagine we'll probably see the odd gust of around 60mph, which should be enough to bring one or two branches down. However, I'll be getting one or two supplies in just in case we lose our power supply, which often happens when it's windy around here.

That'll be good enough for me.

Posted

According to the forecast this morning widespread gales or severe gales across much of the UK with the north-west experiencing the strongest winds of around 70mph with 40-50mph max for southern areas so sounds like this has been a little downgraded to me, either that or the BBC have gravely under-estimated this storm!

It's always been like that! The media are just overhyping this thing majorly. It is effectively just another Autumnal low, with strong winds for northern Britain.

Posted

My first post blink.png

Been following this unusual and interesting event, but as a novice weather enthusiast I have a lot of questions!

1. Could someone tell me at what time it is due to start interacting with the jet stream or has that already happened? surely this will be the most interesting stage.

2. Will we likely see some impressive thunderstorms down in the south east coast?

3. Does the warm moist air and stormy conditions make for a good chance for tornado's?

4. You guys keep mentioning 18z and 12z, forgive me for being dumb but are these different hours on a chart?

I am hoping a sudden turn to the south! just to get a small taste of what a hurricane is like, I know this can be deadly but it is also fascinating.

Thanks in advance! laugh.png

Posted

the NW model output for my area doesn't really fill me with fear again all could change with further model runs i guess expect the worse and hope for the best may be the thinking today

post-9389-0-07283400-1315643730_thumb.pn

Posted

It's always been like that! The media are just overhyping this thing majorly. It is effectively just another Autumnal low, with strong winds for northern Britain.

But even the homepage article on here said winds of 80 even 90mph could be expected not just 60-70mph, with 60mph possible even in southern england. sorry.gif

Posted

Hey and welcome.

Katia should start interacting with the jet stream around now and will be under full effect around midday.

I'm not sure about tornados. 18z means 6pm - 12z means 12pm - 06z means 6am and 00z means 12am. A bit like a clock! There could be some heavy showers anywhere this coming week.

My first post blink.png

Been following this unusual and interesting event, but as a novice weather enthusiast I have a lot of questions!

1. Could someone tell me at what time it is due to start interacting with the jet stream or has that already happened? surely this will be the most interesting stage.

2. Will we likely see some impressive thunderstorms down in the south east coast?

3. Does the warm moist air and stormy conditions make for a good chance for tornado's?

4. You guys keep mentioning 18z and 12z, forgive me for being dumb but are these different hours on a chart?

I am hoping a sudden turn to the south! just to get a small taste of what a hurricane is like, I know this can be deadly but it is also fascinating.

Thanks in advance! laugh.png

Posted

I'm hoping for some major upgrades to windspeeds and a change south in it's track, but I know it's probably hope in vein as this is unlikely to happen now :( Ahh's well perhaps we'll get some bigger storms later in the autumn/winter anyway, I've got a feeling October could be pretty active!

Posted

Stormy weather heading for the UK

The forecast team at the Met Office are continuing to keep an eye on the remains of Hurricane Katia as it moves across the Atlantic Ocean. Currently the storm lies just south of Newfoundland in Canada, but it is expected to move towards northwestern parts of the UK through the course of this weekend, arriving some time on Monday morning. Please see our warnings page for further details. Issued at 0612 on Sat 10 Sep 2011.

Posted

Stormy weather heading for the UK

The forecast team at the Met Office are continuing to keep an eye on the remains of Hurricane Katia as it moves across the Atlantic Ocean. Currently the storm lies just south of Newfoundland in Canada, but it is expected to move towards northwestern parts of the UK through the course of this weekend, arriving some time on Monday morning. Please see our warnings page for further details. Issued at 0612 on Sat 10 Sep 2011.

Damn the north-west, how comes you always get the good storms and we rarely seem to get them nowadays? I remember a few years back there was a period for about 4 or 5 years running when we got storms quite regularly or at the very least gales, now it's like once every couple of years we get a gale and we hardly ever get real storms!

Posted

Damn the north-west, how comes you always get the good storms and we rarely seem to get them nowadays? I remember a few years back there was a period for about 4 or 5 years running when we got storms quite regularly or at the very least gales, now it's like once every couple of years we get a gale and we hardly ever get real storms!

London has a forecast gust in excess of 40 miles per hour, so don't give up hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Oh what?

So you want all the heat and sunshine as well as all the storms?!

Back off, this one is ours! :)

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

LOL yeah i sometimes feel blessed living in Scotland with the amount of snow and storms we get but nothing unusual for a north Atlantic country

however i sometimes wish i was living in the south with warmer weather in the summer

Posted

London has a forecast gust in excess of 40 miles per hour, so don't give up hope.

I hope your right there, but still 40mph is hardly enougth to cause many problems if any getting to work is it? which is what Peter Cockroft said lol :) You can probably have a guess as to why I want us to get the extreme winds now lmao, I just fancy a day off hehe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Lol, it has my location down for 41mph and I'm just off the Western coast. I fully expect 60mph+!

Posted

Well, looks like the track is all but set, with Northern Ireland and most of Scotland bearing the brunt of the high winds. Here it should still be notably windy, with an outside chance of severe gales.

Like others have said, trees in full leaf will be easier to topple so it would be unwise to assume that it can't happen if you're away from the core winds. 40-50mph can still do damage.