Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The Uk - Chat Thread 2

Coast

Posted

I think people are also under estimating it. Or maybe you're a bit upset you are too far south?

or maybe she is just being realistic and referring to the hopecasters in our part of the country....

Posted

For goodness sake if you want to see some decent stormy weather move to the US. I for one will just wait and see what happens. I would much rather we did not have any bad weather coming.mad.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

or maybe she is just being realistic and referring to the hopecasters in our part of the country....

Nothing wrong with hope casting. Can't blame people for wanting a bit of interesting weather once in a while.. !

For goodness sake if you want to see some decent stormy weather move to the US. I for one will just wait and see what happens. I would much rather we did not have any bad weather coming.mad.gif

Yeah, cause I can afford to do that!

Posted

I don't want any bad storms here thank you. I remember the great storm of 1987 and was living on the south London outskirts at the time. What a night that was! Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and yes it was very humid that evening. I thought at the time it was odd for it to be that warm in October. Hope everyone in the 'projected' storm path stays safe.

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

Afternoon folks looking really interesting weather coming up for the north and Scotland let's hope it's not too disruptive

Sunday evening looking really stormy as well going to dig out the camera for Monday anyone want to take bets on my fence

Staying up ?

Posted

Don't really know much about what is happening but is it likely that here there will be 40mph gusts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I think people are also under estimating it. Or maybe you're a bit upset you are too far south?

No, I think Paul nailed it on the head in that a few individuals have over-ramped this particular system and quite frankly seem to then believe it their own hype.....As I posted a couple or so days ago, I believe yes it will be wet & in some exposed parts very windy over NI & Scotland with the chance in these exposed parts of damaging gusts, but for the majority of the UK it will be quite windy with occasional rain & blustery showers, something that, as we approach the winter months, is nothing really out of the ordinary........and for the odd poster who seem to have a macabre wish for a devastating storm system to lay waste to the southern parts of the country, I ask you this one question....Did you leave your sanity at home this morning???...If the UK was ever hit by widespread hurricane force winds, you won't be hollering with delight, you'll be moaning with misery & despair at the damage & loss of life, to which I'm sure people directly affected by the Oct 1987 storm can attest to!

Posted

Can I firstly thank everybody for a very informative forum. I have an interest in our weather and have been fascinated by the first appearance of Katia and the storms approach towards Scotland. I am still trying to learn about some of the technical jargon and hope to hang about some more to learn.

I am in Braco (Just outside of Dunblane) in Perthshire and would appear to be in the firing line of this storm. We have had severe winters here for the last three years and only a few months ago had gusts into the 80's and 90's that caused further damage to a once lovely garden but alas the vast majority of the established trees and plants have taken a hammering lately and it would appear that they may just take some further damage Sunday into Monday.

Once again I am grateful for some of the very informative posts.

Maitland

Posted

No, I think Paul nailed it on the head in that a few individuals have over-ramped this particular system and quite frankly seem to then believe it their own hype.....As I posted a couple or so days ago, I believe yes it will be wet & in some exposed parts very windy over NI & Scotland with the chance in these exposed parts of damaging gusts, but for the majority of the UK it will be quite windy with occasional rain & blustery showers, something that, as we approach the winter months, is nothing really out of the ordinary........and for the odd poster who seem to have a macabre wish for a devastating storm system to lay waste to the southern parts of the country, I ask you this one question....Did you leave your sanity at home this morning???...If the UK was ever hit by widespread hurricane force winds, you won't be hollering with delight, you'll be moaning with misery & despair at the damage & loss of life, to which I'm sure people directly affected by the Oct 1987 storm can attest to!

Is it really that hard to accept people want severe weather? Nobody is hoping for devastation, but an interesting weather event for once. It's a weather forum after all, it'd be pretty pointless being here if the only type of weather you like is sunny and settled!

Edited by aaron

Posted

yes! I was 15 when the 1987 storm hit! I was terrified! Tunbridge wells was badly hit! Im glad Katia is not coming any further south but at the same time that storm birthed a fascination and awe in me of severe weather, especially tornadoes, hurricanes that i want to experience again and again!

Posted
Can I firstly thank everybody for a very informative forum. I have an interest in our weather and have been fascinated by the first appearance of Katia and the storms approach towards Scotland. I am still trying to learn about some of the technical jargon and hope to hang about some more to learn.

I am in Braco (Just outside of Dunblane) in Perthshire and would appear to be in the firing line of this storm. We have had severe winters here for the last three years and only a few months ago had gusts into the 80's and 90's that caused further damage to a once lovely garden but alas the vast majority of the established trees and plants have taken a hammering lately and it would appear that they may just take some further damage Sunday into Monday.

Welcome to the forum mate

Maitland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Good lord some people are getting HYSTERICAL on another forum I post on.

I calmly pointed out the UK is incapable of having a hurricane and told them not to worry. This has been met with 'how dare you tell me not to worry, I have children for goodness sake!'

I laugh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Is it really that hard to accept people want severe weather? It's a weather forum after all, it'd be pretty pointless being here if the only type of weather you like is sunny and settled!

You certainly don't know me, your post is proof of that!....I'm a thunderstorm & severe weather junky, and have witnessed my 2 pence worth of severe weather here in the UK and overseas, but wanting severe weather at the cost of widespread damage & the risk of the safety of the general population?...No thank you!

If you want to experience the hurricane ramnant/LP why not travel up to NW Scotland coast and witness it firsthand?

Posted

I for one am very grateful for Netweather and all the informative posts on here. I know that I will be forwarned about the weather well before the media and the Metoffice so can be prepared.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Mum just came in: "have you heard about the hurricane on the way?"

Ugh, I hate the Express! And the shoddy sensationalist journalism around these events which misleads the general public to believe that the storm will hit the whole country, when it's actually going to affect mainly northern areas...so on Tuesday there'll probably be loads of people moaning that forecasters got it wrong with cries of 'where's the hurricane?' etc . . .

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/270321

They could at least make it very clear that it's not a hurricane any more...but that wouldn't sell papers I suppose...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Maitland

Hi Maitland,

Yep, I had a bit of a windy time back in May too and lost a few of my established plants! (Fife) Hope to see you over in the regional Scottish thread. A good bunch of folks on there!

Posted

Welcome to the forum Maitlandlaugh.png

Shadow I am grateful for the welcome.

Maitland

Hi Maitland,

Yep, I had a bit of a windy time back in May too and lost a few of my established plants! (Fife) Hope to see you over in the regional Scottish thread. A good bunch of folks on there!

Hi Blitzen. I will get myself across to the regional thread. Just working my way through the forum and having a wee look.

Maitland

Posted

Your mum's absolutley right, there is a Hurricane on its way to you, and will make landfall not far away from you....post-4149-0-18057900-1315669311.jpg

The Battle of Britain airshow nr Cirencester!.....laugh.png

Posted

Good lord some people are getting HYSTERICAL on another forum I post on.

I calmly pointed out the UK is incapable of having a hurricane and told them not to worry. This has been met with 'how dare you tell me not to worry, I have children for goodness sake!'

I laugh.

I *think* I know which one you mean.The same place where the daily mail reader types congregate, mixing with conspiracy theorists..makes for some 'interesting' reading after a couple of drinks on a weekend night.

I'm surprised so far we haven't had any HAARPtards, Chemtrailists coming out the woodwork yet fool.gif

Posted

A rather large downgrade by the 12z keeping the low further West again.

A lot of newspapers will be looking quite stupid me thinks.

In fact if this keeps up current conditions will be more windy than Sunday night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Ugh, I hate the Express! And the shoddy sensationalist journalism around these events which misleads the general public to believe that the storm will hit the whole country, when it's actually going to affect mainly northern areas...so on Tuesday there'll probably be loads of people moaning that forecasters got it wrong with cries of 'where's the hurricane?' etc . . .

http://www.express.c...sts/view/270321

They could at least make it very clear that it's not a hurricane any more...but that wouldn't sell papers I suppose...

The times was a litle more sensible although I cant find the web version. ...but yes I did see the express headline and laughed out loud in the shop.

Posted

A rather large downgrade by the 12z keeping the low further West again.

A lot of newspapers will be looking quite stupid me thinks.

In fact if this keeps up current conditions will be more windy than Sunday night!

Oh, I think you and I both know that's not true.

Severe weather for Scotland and NI at least.

Edited by aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The 12z still keeps some very strong winds for western Scotland, but south of the Scottish border it looks like being fairly breezy, but not particularly windy. Wind gusts will not surpass 40mph south of the Scottish border except on the coasts of Northern England.

This is pretty much assured now as we get nearer the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Downgrade is quite a misleading word to use.

This system would need around 5 down grades to not be of interest.

http://91.121.84.31/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-0-66.png?12