Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The Uk - Chat Thread 2

Coast

Posted

had thunder and lightning last night that was not even forecast so expect the worst and hope for the best

yes i think it will be as its predicted path is the central belt of Scotland Glasgow and Edinburgh likely taking the worst of any damage or disruption

Yeah that was quite good about 5am this morning some good bright flashes and loud thunder..i seen Estofex had us under a level 1 but i wasnt expecting anything tbh..so it was a nice surprise.

Anyways back to Katia..i must say im a little scared of this storm system..i do love extreme weather..but this is different altogether,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

I know it has nothing to do with Katia at this stage but the breeze has noticably picked up in the last hour!

Own weather station details :

Forecast : Stormy. Much Precip'

Pressure : Falling 1.0 mb/ph at 996

Temp: 22.8 oC

Wind: F1 - F3 / 19.7 max gust

Current: Cloud base 1555 Broken Sunshine.

WeatherUnderground Link : IENGLAND288 Forecasting as Stormy - Hurricane Katria.

BECO have updated the front page and have a cool hurricane tracker!

Ttfn.

Edited by metman flash

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Yeah, the lightening over glasgow was a nice surprise this morning, love it when its dark and it lights the room up!

Its for sure going to be an interesting 48-72 hours coming up although to be honest from my experience up on Lewis and the far north of scotland we are well used to atlantic beasts battering us without barely a mention on the news.. You know its bad however when calmac decide not to sail the Ullapool-Stornoway run blum.gif

Be interesting to see what we get through the central belt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

I don't expect much over 40mph, and besides people nearly always overestimate wind strengths unless they have their own measuring equipment. A 40mph gust is strong, it's enough to knock you unsteady, but people will often assume it's much higher.

I totally agree with that, having recently set up my station I was amazed at the wind readings at the beginning of the week, what felt like really strong winds to me were in fact no higer than 20mph!!

Posted

I know we all talk about the winds speeds at lower ground levels, but can anyone tell me how windy is expecting to be over

Cairngorm Mt

And what would gusts be about?? I saw somewhere that they expected gusts of 250km/h (155mph)

That would be very windy indeed!

Posted

I know we all talk about the winds speeds at lower ground levels, but can anyone tell me how windy is expecting to be over

Cairngorm Mt

And what would gusts be about?? I saw somewhere that they expected gusts of 250km/h (155mph)

I sincerly doubt it'll be that strong, maybe 110-120mph but 155mph would be approaching a record gust for the UK surely?

Posted

at201112_5day.gif

It looks as though wunderground have increased the 2pm Sun forecast back up to a catergory 1 hurricane. Earlier it was showing as 2pm Sun that it was a tropical storm by this stage. Looks like everyone is still very uncertain as to how the jet stream is going to affect the strength of this beast. x fingers for a turn south. tease.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Welcome to Netweather, Snow and Storms.

Could you please pop your location in your profile.

Thank you smile.png

A few more to ask now Jane as well. hi.gif

metman flash and Tim Barclay Furdui can you both add your locations please. good.gif

This is particularly useful as we near the time of the storm reports.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edit: very muggy here too, 19.7c but cloudy, DP 17.3c and steady barometer at 1002.2mb

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

20.5C here and 87% humidity after a low of 16C. Sticky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Cairngorm Mt

Just don't think about venturing up there unless you want to end your life. help.gif

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I've just started a new 'guess the gust' thread here:

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/70966-ex-katia-guess-the-gust/

I remember having these in past years for other storms so decided to start one for Ex Katia :)

Posted

A few more to ask now Jane as well. hi.gif

metman flash and Tim Barclay Furdui can you both add your locations please. good.gif

This is particularly useful as we near the time of the storm reports.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edit: very muggy here too, 19.7c but cloudy, DP 17.3c and steady barometer at 1002.2mb

oh my location would be London>Canary Wharf "

Edited by Tim Barclay Furdui

Posted

The important bit from the NHC...

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK------------------------------AT 500 AM AST...0900 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE KATIA WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 43.3 NORTH...LONGITUDE 53.4 WEST. KATIA IS MOVING TOWARD THE EAST-NORTHEAST NEAR 44 MPH...70 KM/H. THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 80 MPH...130 KM/H...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. KATIA IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST...AND KATIA IS EXPECTED TO LOSE ITS TROPICAL CHARACTERISTICS LATER TODAY.HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 80 MILES...130 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 310MILES...500 KM.ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 970 MB...28.64 INCHES.

Posted

20.5C here and 87% humidity after a low of 16C. Sticky!

Very warm and muggy here last night for a September night around about 17c I'm guessing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Cairngorm Mt

The highest speed i know of over cairngorm (being an keen mountaineer) was 150 knots or 170 mph back in the mid 80s.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Met office warnings have been downgraded now! The Yellow watch has been removed from the South West and South Wales and the Orange warning has shrunk in size!

Posted

The orange warning actually looks bigger than before, but excludes parts of northern Ireland. Looks like northern England and north Wales are in the firing lane still.

Edited by aaron

Posted

Met office warnings have been downgraded now! The Yellow watch has been removed from the South West and South Wales and the Orange warning has shrunk in size!

Bulls!!!!!!!! mad.gif Looks like it's fizzling out into a wet fart as somebody said yesterday!

Posted

It's not about upgrading and downgrading guys - the initial warnings and forecasts took into account the uncertainty and therefore covered a wide area, as the time counts down the forecasts are firming up and more detailed information can be posted which will narrow down the areas at highest risk.

Posted

down in blackpool at the moment, the bandits only gave me 15 mins time online at the local libary.

very warm and humid here, the council back home issued a press realse warning people about the impending severe weather.

Posted

Interesting Mountain Forecasts however. Even the Peak District being mentioned as being 'buffeted' by winds.

http://www.metoffice...mountainsafety/

Risk for gales in Yorkshire Dales is high on Monday.. and I'm only 20 minutes away.