Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The Uk - Chat Thread 2

Coast

Posted

Got real still here now and humidity feeling real high, had a gusty day but totally still now. Warm front just over me now. Cleared the garden up. Have an 40 year old Birch in the back garden with sign of disease over the last few years, not looking healthy, would not be surprised if it came down if I get the projected 70 pmh gusts. Anyway the warm humid feeling right and stillness is very nice.

Remeber folks gusts of wind cause more damage than sustained winds of the same speed usually. And a lot of people saying I'l lonly get 50 mph gusts. Look try standing up in a 50 mph gust. A 30 mph gust on a town street takes your breath away. A 50 mph gust and you'll be looking for cover. 70 mph old ladies will be flying past and objects flying through the air big time.

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

You're right that the strongest winds are usually to the south of the centre of lowest pressure, so the strongest winds will occur in the central belt of Scotland.

For a time.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

heres hoping she takes a southerly path, FINALLY give us Dorset fellas a weather spectacle worth remembering!

You must have missed out badly then? I've had some outstanding weather here over the past 6 months. Last night and this morning was quite a spectacle too. good.gif

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Countryfile forecast said just 'breezy' for the south, with the damaging severe gales the same areas (far north of England and north and west of), but later in the day and over night tomorrow. Also mentioned a bout possibly for north Wales and the Pennines late on tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
Posted · Hidden by Chris K, September 11, 2011 - mistake
Hidden by Chris K, September 11, 2011 - mistake

Am i right by saying that normally during storms the strongest winds are on the southern flank of the storm?

If my drawing is correct and that's where the centre of the storm is at the moment then wouldn't the south coast be expecting some pretty high winds?

Dont take my word for it, but I think the current positioning of the centre is here shown in my picture. It seems to look about right (I may be way off I'm just guessing) blum.gif

post-15172-0-72803900-1315769796_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: It's all about the white stuff!

A ship at 1800z reports winds of 35.9 knots at position 50.50 -14.30 which places it between the K2 and M6 Buoys, reports from those two still at 1700hrs so interesting to see their 18z reports, this helps pinpoint the centre of the low. if anyone needs link to the ship and buoy reports let me know and i can post a link

I would like to see a link please :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Am i right by saying that normally during storms the strongest winds are on the southern flank of the storm?

If my drawing is correct and that's where the centre of the storm is at the moment then wouldn't the south coast be expecting some pretty high winds?

I think the centre is where i've marked it on my image attached. (I may be wrong I'm just guessing by looking at current movements etc) :p

This seems to make more sense though comparing it to forecasts.

post-15172-0-35136300-1315769994_thumb.p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Why is it so quiet in the Katia in depth forum???? Is it because not much is happening at the moment? Seems to be a lot of people viewing this thread though.

Posted

12z showing a reduction in strength out at sea for tomorrow morning NW of Ireland at 9.00 am compared to 06z. However more widspread winds in land.

Buoy reports http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/observations/map.html

I think K4 is the place to look tomorrow morning. A the moment nothing happening at any of the marine stations. Another 12 hours to go.

Posted

I would like to see a link please smile.png

Ok here are some links

Firstly floodwarn has some info

http://www.floodwarn.co.uk/buoys.htm

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

This is actual report with ship report in it.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/radial_search.php?lat1=53.056N&lon1=15.924W&uom=E&dist=250&ot=A&time=3

To get any reports from any ships that have reported in the vicinity of the buoys click met observations from nearby ships and buoys noting if no ships nearby have reported none will show.

Also if you want to monitor any ships out there if it does get rough then try this

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

live ship radar with destination, speed etc

Posted

Thanks Pyrotec

I love that live shipping site. Just before storms hit you will see some mad guys in trawlers full throttle making port, always leave it to the last minute. Will remember to check tomorrow.

Posted
Why is it so quiet in the Katia in depth forum???? Is it because not much is happening at the moment? Seems to be a lot of people viewing this thread though.

Hi Marie,i think we are mostly nervous up here in the north.

lovely refreshing pic of you and your daughter,makes me smile everytime you post.

christ! looking at that in text i sound like a stalker.

how do you detype posts?

Posted

lovely refreshing pic of you and your daughter,makes me smile everytime you post.

how do you detype posts?

Not expecting much in the way of wind around my area. That post, had me laughing so hard i nearly fell of my seat :D

Posted

how do you detype posts?

Lol,they made me chuckle.

Posted

I find backspace helps :D

how do you detype posts?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Curretly 968mb

http://meteocentre.c...ang=en&map=AtlN

Edited by Liam J

Posted

tis flat calm her now with a temp of 14c

pressure still rising on the station,but i expect the turnaround to be very dramatic.

Calm before the storm maybe???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Post-tropical cyclone Katia continues to moves towards the UK, and is now 400 miles west of Ireland with a central pressure of 967 hPa. The system is still primed to bring very strong winds and heavy rain to northern Britain on Monday. Keep an eye on the latest warnings using the link below. Issued at 2130 on Sun 11 Sep 2011.

Weather warnings from the meto

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

All eyes on the 18z run during the next hour, should be interesting...

Edited by Liam J