Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Sept into Oct 2011 Warm Spell Discussion..

conor123

Upcoming warm spell, highest temperature?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the highest temperature recorded?

• 24c
    • 25c
    • 26c
    • 27c
    • 28c+

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yup another silly hot day 25C reached here. Breezy though went cloudy then cleared up and now gone cloudy again. Yet again very black clouds bring nothing story of the year so far.

Posted

I wonder if this exceptional warm spell will lead to some great autumnal colours later in the month. I know some trees are rather brown already but many are actually still green or only just turning. I seem to recall it being said in previous years that high levels of warm sunshine in October bring out deeper colours in the leaves.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

24.7C max today, very windy now and cloudy, feels tropical still, weird feeling for so dark, still at 20.1°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Gorgeous day here top temp 25.2c. Been a wonderful spell of weather - by far the best weather this year and the best proper southerly plume since July 2006.

Like others, it's suddenly gone from sunny skies with a breeze to thick cloud and very windy. For now the wind is warm and I for one am going to enjoy these last few hours of warm winds running through the house before the long cold slog begins...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Astionishingly warm still. 22.8c at gone half 6 on the 3rd October. The feel of that warm wind this time of year is unreal, even more so while seeing leaves falling from the trees.

Posted

Hello to all,

Still a glorious day all over France and sky is perfectly clear with sunset in Paris.we reached 28c here on the hourly reading at 3 pm.We have a advisory for pollution as absolutely no wind.

Clouds are foecasted to come in the early hours of the morning , and they down graded temps at 21to 23c tomorrow we could just manage 20c thursday and then it is hello to fall hereand goodbye to summer.As much as i liked this spell i can't wait to see what fall has in store and then winter....Still close to records in some parts of France today, will have to check if any

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Lovely day here again, but it turned cloudy late afternoon and is now very dark, been like that since a little after 6!! Are we due a storm??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Is it generally agreed that the spell of weather we have had/are still experiencing is probably as close to an 'Indian Summer' as we could realistically hope for in the UK? Given that proper frosts in October are often unlikely to occur and heat in November is pretty much impossible?

Recapping on this post, 1995 produced an "Indian summer" quite widely across northern England and south-eastern Scotland, with an unusually widespread ground frost (and an air frost in some favoured inland spots) on the night of the 27th/28th September, and those same areas went on to have a notably warm dry sunny October with a memorable southerly incursion on the 8th with near-unbroken sunshine and highs of 21-24C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

If the October max' temp' record had not already been broken here on the 1st, today would have broken the old record by a margin of 0.2c.

It's quite incredible that only 4 Octobers here in the last 48 years have managed one day with a max' temp' over 20c yet Oct' 2011 has managed 3 days over 21c within the first 3 days.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

This spell has been memorable on par with the Summer 2007 rains, late November 2010 severe cold and snowfalls, last December's coldness, and this April's warmth- all quite astonishing and remarkable to have all occurred within my lifetime, let alone the space of a few years!

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Yes, it has been an exceptional spell of weather. Here are the max's for Cambridge for the past week:

Monday 26th: 20.9C

Tuesday 27th: 23.0C

Wednesday 28th: 25.7C

Thursday 29th: 28.3C

Friday 30th: 29.2C

Saturday 1st: 29.1C

Sunday 2nd: 29.3C

Today (3rd): 27.8C

Going to feel a lot different by Thursday!

Edit: Total sunshine hours for the past 7 days (including today) = 67.6 hours, which is very remarkable for this time of year!

Edited by Ben_Cambs

A big change in the weather here today, went out lunchtime and it was bright with sunny spells, an feeling very warm, but after 5pm, much darker cloud, and felling cooler and autumnal to be honest.

This incredible spell is over, here at last.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Tues 27th 22.6°C

wed 28th 24.9°C

Thu 29th 26.0°C

Fri 30th 26.8°C

Sat 1st 26.6°C

Sun 2nd 22.3°C

mon 3rd 24.7°C

but this week could see a summer to winter switch, hot today, warm tuesday and wednesday, then colder thursday, and horrid on friday, wet and miserable at 9°C

Posted

I've been impressed with this spell of weather and in some ways its much better for it too occur now than during the mid summer where even tanned people like me would burn after being in the sun for a while. Not only the weaker sun reduces sunburn risk, it also made things more pleasant and a noticetable breeze certainly helped that!

However I hope this is the last of the warmth for the next 5-6 months and we can talk about cooler and windier weather patterns like this the latter part of this week will show and hopefully during the winter, the cold will be record breaking(again).

Posted

here is a comparison of 1985 and 2011 in Orly Airport which is about 8 10 miles south of Paris , which is 3 miles from where i live ( but i don't hear planes):

here for sept oct 1985

27 : 11,9 25,2

28 : 12,2 25,4

29 : 11,1 26,9

30 : 10,1 27,1

01 : 11,0 29,6

02 : 15,0 26,9

03 : 17,9 28,0

And here for sept oct 2011 :no record here but in Paris we did break it on the 1st october

25 : 11,8 25,8

26 : 13,0 26,0

27 : 13,1 25,9

28 : 12,7 27,9

29 : 10,9 27,7

30 : 11,9 29,5

01 : 11,6 28,3

02 : 11,0 27,5

03 : 10,7 28,1

here is a comparison of 1985 and 2011 in Orly Airport which is about 8 10 miles south of Paris , which is 3 miles from where i live ( but i don't hear planes):

here for sept oct 1985

27 : 11,9 25,2

28 : 12,2 25,4

29 : 11,1 26,9

30 : 10,1 27,1

01 : 11,0 29,6

02 : 15,0 26,9

03 : 17,9 28,0

And here for sept oct 2011 :no record here but in Paris we did break it on the 1st october

25 : 11,8 25,8

26 : 13,0 26,0

27 : 13,1 25,9

28 : 12,7 27,9

29 : 10,9 27,7

30 : 11,9 29,5

01 : 11,6 28,3

02 : 11,0 27,5

03 : 10,7 28,1

and temps are over 20c since 21st september and may reach 20c up till thursday included ( will be just about or may be under) Friday is start of fall here.

Edited by jean91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Tues 27th 22.6°C

wed 28th 24.9°C

Thu 29th 26.0°C

Fri 30th 26.8°C

Sat 1st 26.6°C

Sun 2nd 22.3°C

mon 3rd 24.7°C

but this week could see a summer to winter switch, hot today, warm tuesday and wednesday, then colder thursday, and horrid on friday, wet and miserable at 9°C

I rather doubt 9c. More like 13/14c for most.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I'll be looking forward to my first sub-10c day of the Autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Max temperatures -

October 1st - map below

post-11361-0-98180300-1317681593_thumb.p

October 2nd below

post-11361-0-41830100-1317681596_thumb.p

link below is a table of MAX temperatures for saturday October 1st

http://www.weatheron...317466800&CEL=C

Lovely day here again, but it turned cloudy late afternoon and is now very dark, been like that since a little after 6!! Are we due a storm??

No, night

Max temperatures -

October 1st - map below

post-11361-0-98180300-1317681593_thumb.p

October 2nd below

post-11361-0-41830100-1317681596_thumb.p

link below is a table of MAX temperatures for saturday October 1st

http://www.weatheron...317466800&CEL=C

Although some northern parts of England didn't do so well on the 2nd, the temperatures made a recovery on the 3rd for one last hurrah.

Welcome to the sunshine coast!

sign_Eastbourne_Heights.jpg

Ironically cloudy lol

...Contrary to my earlier post, the max here today according to the Met Office on Twitter was 29.3C, which means today was the warmest day of this unseasonable period of weather! And the figure of 29.3C was the highest recorded today in the UK too (officially).

Tied with Coningsby in Lincolnshire

It's an odd day and a personally monumental one, as we took over our new pub today as Landlord drunk.gif .

Congratulations mine host!

Posted

2 new stations have broken their highest october temp today the 2 ones in Nimes at 31.9c and 31.3c Against 31.8 and 31.2c on the first onctober 1997

Nimes in Gard.The south east of France escaped a bit the heat but they have had a september really warm all the way.

2 new stations have broken their highest october temp today the 2 ones in Nimes at 31.9c and 31.3c Against 31.8 and 31.2c on the first onctober 1997

Nimes in Gard.The south east of France escaped a bit the heat but they have had a september really warm all the way.

Also another one Aigues-Mortes station opened in 1960 today at 30.6c against 30c on 1st october 1997 but it has a particularity it is the third time this year to break an all hight monthly april may and now semptember

Posted

This spell has been memorable on par with the Summer 2007 rains, late November 2010 severe cold and snowfalls, last December's coldness, and this April's warmth- all quite astonishing and remarkable to have all occurred within my lifetime, let alone the space of a few years!

I don't really agree that its on par with those events. It was only a short spell and as summer blizzard has already mentioned, lost in the overall figures. The others events you quote besides the late November one are not lost in the overall figures because they lasted longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I don't really agree that its on par with those events. It was only a short spell and as summer blizzard has already mentioned, lost in the overall figures. The others events you quote besides the late November one are not lost in the overall figures because they lasted longer.

Heres one for you....

Supposing the entire warm spell (Wednesday-Monday) had occurred on the last 6 days of September what would the whole Month's CET have been. 3 very warm days at the end raised the CET by an awful lot. What if it had been 6 days. I know its not technically possible to calculate it but maybe a rough estimate of where we might have finished.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Agreed. This 'heatwave' as people are calling it, in my opinion, is only memorable because of broke the October record.. and obviously the time of year. It definitely was not as good as July 2006 as some people are making out.