Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Weather - Monday 17th Oct

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

there does seem to be rather a hole appearing in the band of rain doesn't there?

What hope have we of ever ending this drought if even the most actice of weather fronts cannot penetrate the 'dead zone's' rain sheild?

*groans*

Hey all

Just checked the rainfall radar and this front is moving quite fast isnt it! FRo 7.30pm to 8pm it has covered some ground.

I am probably stating the obvoius and would welcome some comments.

PB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Pretty clear here, feeling chilly in the wind and the heating has been turned up a notch!

Recorded my 2nd highest gust since January 2005 today @ 76mph which is the third highest I've ever recorded. The boxing day storm 1998 still untouched @ 91.3mph and January 2005 @ 88.4mph

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It looked impressive on the radar but nothing to get excited about here as the squall line passed through. A few minutes of fairly heavy rain and a rapid decrease in wind strength.

Posted

Squall line just arrived here, rained for about 30 seconds, and now nothing!

Edited by picog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just passed through here, TBH, not a lot to report, marked decrease in wind, and 5 minutes of light/moderate rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

It's passing here now, gales then a decrease in wind with torrential rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Squall just reached here. 5 minutes of very heavy rain, strong Breeze but as ever no proper wind here but decent rain. Soaking wet in about 30 seconds!

Radar showed the squall intensified right over us for a change! Rarely does here see intensification of rain where no where else does! :D

Posted

Raining here but nowt to shout about. Windy but not as windy as. a hour ago. Temp 10c

Posted

I really wish it would get a move on!

That fat cow of a neighbour of ours is standing at the bus stop across the road, and I'd hate for her to miss it! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I really wish it would get a move on!

That fat cow of a neighbour of ours is standing at the bus stop across the road, and I'd hate for her to miss it! biggrin.png

Never laughed so much for quite a while. Cheers for that ch!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

you got to admit that squall line looks pretty cool on the radar. Hope someone keeps several shots of it for future ref. PB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Nothing much happened here, a little rain went through, heavy for roughly half a minute, and then it moved away, not much wind associated with it either.Only 4.1mm of rain recorded.

Edit: That 4.1mm is today entire rainfall.

Only 2.3mm fell during the 'event', The other 1.8mm fell in showers throughout the day.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Lack of warnings seems right by the sounds..

Posted

I was caught in it as it passed through at about 6:30pm. It went directly from dryness to torrential rain in a matter of seconds, though you could see things gradually deteriorating from the northwest. It moved through pretty quickly though, and it's gone decidedly chilly. Very windy either side of it too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

All in all a very interesting day, and in some locations pretty severe by any standards in terms of wind speed especially for Northern parts of NW England. I recorded storm force 10 mean speeds of around 55mph+ and a top gust of 76mph just ahead of the cold front which did not produce any dramatic rainfall and passed very quickly.

I find it quite odd that warnings barely mentioned the wind speeds when model guidance in the run up to todays event showed confidence in extemely windy conditions affecting places, instead warnings focused on rainfall which was nothing of note really. However storm force winds and gusts towards 80mph is very noteworthy in my book.

Perhaps it was the fact that there wasn't a wide area at risk from damaging winds so the impact would be deemed small.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I have just checked our local weather forecaster Ian Ferguson and was quite shocked to see him say that when the rainband crosses us later that wind gusts will range from 45-55mph!

Now that is very strong gusts for us in the south and it is quite rare for him to mention speeds that strong.

Posted

Passed by here now with very heavy rain but next to no wind though.

The best thing to see is how the wind changed direction within the space of around 30 seconds, that in itself is worth watching.

There was an impressive temperature drop too!

Posted

Yeovil, Somerset - gunna stay up for this one. Only question now is can it get here before the thread times out midnight :D

Cool with a light breeze at the moment

Edited by Raytheon

Posted

Not far away from us now and very strong winds at the moment will be intresting once its passed through.

Posted

Yeovil, Somerset - gunna stay up for this one. Only question now is can it get here before the thread times out midnight biggrin.png

Cool with a light breeze at the moment

Probably just before midnight for you, however its fragmenting and thinning all the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Tonights squall line as it passed through Birmingham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRP3wHQyiyU

there wasn`t no thunder by the waywhistling.gif

Edited by Arnie Pie

Very windy here today with Winds at Mumbles* average over 40mph for much of the day, and with gusts peaking at over 60mph around 8pm. However over the cold front passed though the temps dropped 4c in a hour, and the winds have completely died. Pretty wet as well with around 15-20mm of rain, most of this in the past 6 hours.

* Notorious for high winds to be fair.