Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

25-26th October 2011 - Convective/storm Discussion & Reports

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Strange, it's warming up again! Anyone better out there know what's going on? I didn't really expect the South-West to get a lashing?

06z shows that CAPE levels will be strongest in the channel at 1800z (1900L) - when we should get some bigger storms?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Could you please confirm whether or not this is true and actually happening?

How come the radars aren't showing anything?

Sorry, been out and just got back. Our storm was very short lived and I too noticed that IOW lightning detector didn't show any strikes. The only thing I can think of is that they were not ground strikes (?) We definately had two flashes and I heard loud rummbles of thunder three times. Nothing at the moment, but clouds do look promising!

Posted

Interesting to note, looking at the rainfall forecast. http://www.metoffice...ather/forecast/

That looks like and MCS, or a very fine line of storms with rain in excess of 16MM up to 32MM +

I am confused.

ukarea_mslp_crop_18_t+24.gif

ukarea_mslp_crop_00_t+24.gif

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Ironic, isn't it?...All summer we've been crying out for synoptics like today, with complex LP to the west and south of the UK, with troughs embedded in the southerly flow, high moisture profiles & plenty of energy in the atmosphere....Today we'll get scattered showers and the odd thunderstorm, whereas in mid-summer with daytime heating, this kind of setup would probably result in some strong thunderstorms and almost certainly an MCS drifting up from the near continent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Ironic, isn't it?...All summer we've been crying out for synoptics like today, with complex LP to the west and south of the UK, with troughs embedded in the southerly flow, high moisture profiles & plenty of energy in the atmosphere....Today we'll get scattered showers and the odd thunderstorm, whereas in mid-summer with daytime heating, this kind of setup would probably result in some strong thunderstorms and almost certainly an MCS drifting up from the near continent

I agree, still potential however. NAE 12z ups the ante precipitation wise for tonight with some quite heavy, showery rain drifting up across Wales and western England this evening.

Posted

Lo folks,

Yeovil, Somerset has just taken a 15 min (1545 - 1600) storm heading North. Good 6 or 7 nice flashes with loud rumbles right over the house. Loads of heavy hail mixed in and the rains still going although the storms moved on.

Id like a refund on this months no-storms-club membership thanks :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

First storm since tour one storm chase USA lol. Some very heavy rain 7mm at 110 mm/hr ! And a small hail core too.

Posted

Hi guys. Nice to see there is still 'one last gasp' for those who have had no storms all summer. Will East Anglia be getting any of it? Just radar watching now and precip seems to far West of my location atm. I'm keeping my eye on precip that is just moving through the channel now. In the fireing line.

Posted

432721451.jpg

Some good photo opportunities with the Low Sun. Interesting to note, that this is what we have now, with nothing forecasted to get interesting till 7pm, just after sunset. CAPE Levels in the Channel are only 200-300 j/kg as I type - forecasted to be about 500-700 j/kg at 1800z.

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Plenty of sferics now starting to flourish on the NW radar, especially over Dorset/Somerset, and certainly as CreweCold mentioned, worth us westerners keeping an eye on this for later...Also got my eye on that showery clump to the south and south east of Birmingham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

That blob over the south west, likely to give anything for me in south wales as it slowly moves north? or is it likely to fade into nothingness?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

The live view over the sea here looks damn nasty!

http://www.gowerlive.co.uk/webcams/langland-webcam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

We have just had a very heavy downpour here and I am certain that I heard one distant short lived rumble of thunder to the West before we had this.

Since then it has been raining moderately and it is very dark.

Posted

Monsoon and day darkness in Warminster, very impressive structure as the cell(s) approached and the radar suggests it could last for quite some time.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Yes, I can confirm what Raytheon has said. It was overhead here near Sherborne too, slightly later than he mentions. Saw 5 definite flashes, many rumbles and torrential rain for about half an hour. All clear at the moment. Glad I'd taken the dog out early!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

It looks quite likely to me that there will be nightime lightning tonight for at least coastal areas.

This evening I may look out for distant heat lightning flashes to the South.smile.png

Posted

Wow, just came on here to check to see if anything was happening. Didn't expect to see a line of heavy/thundery showers approaching me. No doubt they'll either die out before getting here, or arrive about 9pm when I'm walking to work.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The skies to the south are looking quite stormy. What do you think of the chnaces of any storms if they develop, hitting me?

Posted

very dark to the south... heres hoping

Expect heavy rain mate.

We have just had what you are about to get as we are to the southwest of you.

Posted

The skies to the south are looking quite stormy. What do you think of the chnaces of any storms if they develop, hitting me?

I think you have as good as chance as anybody in Kent & Essex...just hope they get right across the channel and just dont put on a light show for the kent & sussex coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Now this is not confirmed in any way- and a link that was posted doesn't work, but theres around 5 or 6 of my friends on Facebook talking about a tornado being seen on Plymouth Hoe. This could be a water spout or total rubbish, but doing a quick check, it seems odd for these people quoting this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

Slight bits and bobs of rain here! Nuffin special!