Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

25-26th October 2011 - Convective/storm Discussion & Reports

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Oddly it looked like a storm that you would get on warm summer nights, instead it happened on a chilly autumn night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Big flash! Big BANG! biggrin.png

This isn't the place to discuss your sex life blum.gif

Seriously though, it's been a memorable year for storms in the NE!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Lightning mainly flashing over the sea from what I can gather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It really has.. not to mention Edinburgh which has been spoiled.

Posted

Starry skies overhead now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

I am extremely saddened by this!!! First chance at an overnight storm in as many years and I get storms west and east of me, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Fantastic storm. Chased it from malton to Scarborough and watched it head north from olivers mount. Very unexpected and certainly the latest in a year I've ever seen a thunderstorm. Constant flashes and some close cg's when driving through the Yorkshire wolds. Great stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Liverpool airport TAF going for "heavy rain showers and thunderstorm rain" between 25 @22UTC and 26@02UTC. Interesting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Here is latest or recent lightning/radar/sat

Im watching and expecting the channel thundery showers to move up inland later,

post-11361-0-49105600-1319584738_thumb.j

The white strikes are the most recent,

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

What a massive let down for London and The South East considering this was the area predicted to get the storms. Thats not a criticism, just a statement !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lightning just off the coast here in Woolacombe, North Devon! :D Heard some Thunder too. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

In this situation its hard to pin point where the thundery ppn is likely to be, taking a look at the radar shows this as a vast amount of convective activity, picking out from that lot i could not say who would get a storm, they can develop out the areas that are expected to see them because showers move and develop.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I think I have now seen more Night time lightning than day time Lightning this year!!! Infrequent but great Lightning show here. biggrin.png This I didnt expect! biggrin.png

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Wow... Thunders been rumbling around since 3 this morning, being woken at 3:00, 5:00 and 6:30 by almighty BANGS!!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Got a thunderstorm rumbling away just down the road here near Croydon, very heavy dark looking skies moving over.

Posted

A very ominous looking bank of dark red cloud over Mid Sussex this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

Very heavy rain currently and thunder on and off for a good part of the night.

Posted

Been back through the thread and couldn't find any mention of the waterspout off St Leonards-On-Sea, East Sussex yesterday afternoon around 4.00pm, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere:

_56278817_p1080159.jpg

Water spout forms off Sussex coast

Residents in Bexhill, Hastings and St Leonards said it was visible for about five minutes just after 16:00 BST.Cool air meeting warmer than average water caused a water spout seen from the East Sussex coast, according to a weather expert.

"You could see quite a large funnel cloud coming down and it just got bigger and bigger," said witness Neil Cunningham. "I was quite amazed." Weather expert Ian Currie said water spouts were most common in October. Tuesday's water spout happened during a heavy thunderstorm.

Mr Currie, who edits the magazine Weather Eye, said: "The weather today is very unstable with a lot of cool air, but the sea is still warm for the time of year. "When the air is very cold it causes these huge shower clouds and they can lead to a vortex formation. "At sea it is a water spout but sometimes they can come over land and then it becomes a tornado."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...sussex-15453834

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Not had any thunder and lightning here since May......5 months, 5 effin months! blum.gif

Count yourself lucky matey !!biggrin.png It's been 5 years here!!!nonono.gif

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

A few bangs in the night for me.

Posted

Netweather storm forecast for today now online: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Posted

ESTOFEX have the North Sea as the closest region under watch for today where as UKASF a little more in line with the NW forecast by Nick:

post-6667-0-66141400-1319613795.png

Last Updated: 20:57 Tuesday, 25th October 2011

Valid: 00:00 Wednesday, 26th October 2011 - 23:59 Wednesday, 26th October 2011

Areas Affected:

SLGT: Most of United Kingdom excluding SW Eng, W Country, SE Wales, NW Highlands, N Ireland, Ireland

Synopsis:

Upper low to the W of Ireland will slowly weaken, with the associated trough axis moving N across Nern Britain during the forecast period. Widespread convective activity is expected.

Discussion:

With cold mid-levels (typically -29C at 500mb) underneath an upper trough, widespread showers and a few thunderstorms are expected to develop. Given position of upper trough and related daytime heating, lightning activity is more likely to be most active over northern Britain, although showers during the early hours have the potential to be thundery across S + E Britain.

During Wednesday as the upper trough moves northwards, weak upper ridging and slightly warmer air in the mid levels will translate into slightly shallower and weaker showers, with a declining risk of lightning activity across S Britain during the afternoon.

Nevertheless, a few hundred J/kg CAPE and ELTs <-20C are conducive for lightning, particularly over the North Sea where warm SSTs will steepen lapse rates further.

Given cold air aloft, hail is likely in many of the showers, perhaps moderate in size locally. Rather weak DLS and LLS precludes the tornado risk.

post-6667-0-66141400-1319613795_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

The storm over the Yeovil area yesterday obviously had a lot of hail in it in at least one location....it's still there this morning! Just driven through the village of Stoford (SE of Yeovil) and there are accumulations on the verges in sheltered places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Wow what a morning, have had some unbelivable hail storms leaving coverings everywhere, 3 cracks of thunder a funnel cloud and about 200 odd CB'S everywhere, god I love this weather and October!