Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

A.J

Posted

I still think that we'll be relying on a trough in this part of the West Midlands. I just can't see showers by themselves getting here.

Hopefully, you guys up in Staffordshire will see something. My bet is for Stoke to do the best.

First though...wind and mild temperatures to get through! Should be quite wild tomorrow no matter what happens afterwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Right, off to bed once I`ve upset the model discussion thread! Night peeps!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Right, off to bed once I`ve upset the model discussion thread! Night peeps!!

talking of model thread, no disrepect this whatsoever, as he is a very knowledgeable poster, but realised nick sussex lives in SW france, really cant understand the interest in UK cold spells, when not even living here, I assumed he lived in sussex

I f I didnt still live in the UK, I would have no interest whatsoever in the UK's weather, but only my opinion

Posted

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I'm not expecting anything to come out of it. We all know how quickly everything changes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Regarding the possibility of Wintry stuff for the Midlands on Friday.Just had a look at the various output from the 12z for my idea.

Latest NAE at T48

http://expertcharts....120912_0712.gif

Thicknesses and dews just about ok but 2m temps are around 3-5C so low ground where there are showers will probably see sleet or wet snow at best.

Looks like the bulk of any showers will affect the far North West of the region.

Any lying snow best chances,Staffs. moorlands , parts of the Peak district ,

looks like a small window for percipitation.Friday pm for a 6-9hrs probably.

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rtavn544.png

Fax for 00z Sat. shows that minor trough having gone through the region as a dying feature.

http://www.meteociel...h=60&carte=2000

Wind to much of a Westerly to carry anything of note much further South i think.

http://expertcharts....120912_0712.gif

Of course there`s still time for small changes but that`s my current view.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted

I knew IB would come on saying that, but he is right! stockport etc best placed, unless of course the trough comes off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Looks like another 'close but no cigar' job then.

It seems so Radders,pressure is rising from the west as well after the low and is effectively damping down any activity from the that occlusion as it comes into our area.

Posted

Looks like another 'close but no cigar' job then.

Even if this does deliver any snow, what falls could well melt immediately or within 24hours at best. We need to look for a change in the relative zonal pattern and height rises towards greenland imo. Im hoping that theres still enough time for a change to bring something more wintry by xmas

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hopefull we get some decent winds tommorow to keep the weather interesting, otherwise it looks like we're heading for another boring period.

Posted

If you follow the charts through, the cold (enough) air comes through during the early hours of Friday, you then have a few hours before the showers get going further to the NW and then down the Irish Sea, but then by the time they are landing around Liverpool bay, thw wind is going WNW and pressure is rising from the West, so the areas that will see the PPN will be Manchester, Stockport, Glossop, perhaps Buxton.

still think you may just catch the odd flurry, very much like the horrid 20th Dec 2009, 8 inches stockport

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

My mum was saying there was slete earllyer on. I hope the met r wrong with their forecast tomorrow and friday. I would love snow like u all my felow midlanders and brummies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

So this explains why Birmingham ain't hardly seeing any snow... ;')

post-10703-0-80553500-1323297101_thumb.j

In fact, this seems to be the case for a few locations around the Midlands. :cray:

Edit: Friday may still give it a little bit of a beating depending whether the precipitation can trek far enough South.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Well seeing as the models have downgraded snow once again at a short timeframe.. I call for a rock out session.

AJpoolshark can play lead guitar and i'll play rhythm. Sing with me.. ISSSOOOLLAAATTIOONNNN, IT BRINGS YOU TO THE END, UNTIL YOU LOVEEE AGAINN :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hmm..think Andy's been on the sauce again...lol

Ok, so today looks decidedly windy today with mean speeds increasing throughout the day...A band of showery rain will sweep quickly NW-SE through our region this afternoon with clearer, colder conditions following on tonight...The window for snow opportunity has diminished considerably since yesterday, a shame this deep LP couldn't have stuck around for a few more hours...Some lucky places will see a flurry ot two but IMO they will be the exception, not the norm, and then for the next few days it looks like we are going to be in a very mobile weather pattern, with deep Atlantic Lows spreading wind & strong winds clearing to give colder PM weather with occasional wintry showers in between....Look on the bright side, at least we don't have to put up with day after day of monotonous South Westerlies bringing never ending cloud & drizzle!

Posted

Precip amounts increased on the 06z throughout Friday however to far north for nearly everyone here I suspect. Small changes could shift things further south, nt likely but we've seen last min changes numerous times before so you never know.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Well i haveto say a big flop , i suppose i knew it though in the back of my mind , all talk of midlands snow has completley gone from the bbc , i didnt believe it would happen i suppose it was more hopecasting and straw clutching , been nearly 700ft asl i was quite hopefull but there isnt any ppn coming down anyway , i thought a nice trough was on the way but it looks like its lost all its strength by the time it comes south , what a load of old tosh !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Just watched the Beeb's news 24 weather, and they hardly seemed to mention snow for anywhere - not even Scotland. Just talk of strong winds and rain with 'some wintry showers'. So not sure what's supposed to be happening with 'snow down as far as the north midlands'?!

I'm just going to have to keep hoping Mark Vogan's forecast of a stormy start to December which moves to cold and snowy across the UK as from 15th onwards comes true.

(excuse any typo's - hard to type with your fingers crossed....)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A subtle upgrade on the 06z GFS....It introduces a more north-westerly emphasis to the post frontal air mass through tomorrow, allowing shower potential to encroach further into the Midlands IMO

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I agree AJ, just a shame the wind flow seems so slack for tomorrow afternoon now, the showers probably won't get enough of a push to reach the Central Midlands lol, if it's not one thing it's another!!

Posted

right...am off out xmas shopping...see you all in the all new midlands weather thread later! :D