Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

metoffice has predicted heavy snow for bury/rochdale from midnight, so there 5 day forecast thing said anyway.

Where you seen that bud? Post the link

Posted

metoffice has predicted heavy snow for bury/rochdale from midnight, so there 5 day forecast thing said anyway.

Where you seen that bud? Post the link

Bet this was the organised band of showers that came in around the Lancaster/Morecambe area which have broken up and died before they have even hit me and the little bit which has survived has drifted just north of me. Looked quite heavy on the radar but as soon as it hit land it just died.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Clear skies here, 2.1C.

Last reminder from me, that the Net Weather NW England member's map is here:

http://www.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=214490124153686790434.0004b461f50dc22563576

Created by me, if you would like yourself adding, please PM me your postcode.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Clear skies here, 2.1C.

Last reminder from me, that the Net Weather NW England member's map is here:

http://www.google.co...61f50dc22563576

Created by me, if you would like yourself adding, please PM me your postcode.

how to view peoples weather stations?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Clear skies and 3.0c here, a slight drop from the earlier figure approaching 4.0c!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I am angry SP, living in a stupid place were the temp rises by 4c in 10 minutes on three nights in a row at the slightist breezze! GRRRRRR. currently 5.4c but dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I am angry SP, living in a stupid place were the temp rises by 4c in 10 minutes on three nights in a row at the slightist breezze! GRRRRRR. currently 5.4c but dry

Yes it's happened here too, typical with living on the coast!

By the way Chris, what was your lowest temperature last December?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Looking like back to the model output discussion for the foreseeable now and the radar will have to go back in the cupboard, one thing this morning did though is at least give me some confidence that even if we dont get a favourable stratosphere leading to height rises to our North and we get an atlantic dominated winter there is always the chance of some good PM incursions and it doesnt necessarily mean an exceptionally mild winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

My lowest temperature last december was on the night of the 20th at -11.1c, though the Crosby metoffice station fell to -17 so my thermometer may have been reading a little high. I did hear that there was some sort of sea smoke that caused the temperature there to fall that far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Temp back down a bit more, 2.2c with clear skies

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Looking like back to the model output discussion for the foreseeable now and the radar will have to go back in the cupboard, one thing this morning did though is at least give me some confidence that even if we dont get a favourable stratosphere leading to height rises to our North and we get an atlantic dominated winter there is always the chance of some good PM incursions and it doesnt necessarily mean an exceptionally mild winter.

I think this December has been remarkable, in that we've maged to achieve so much from such unfavourable conditions. I think today will make it 6 days with some snow falling & 3 with snow lying. That's not too dusty given the overall conditions. If you were just to glance at the overall synoptic for this month in a few years, you'd see it as mild, wet & windy & of little interest apart from some strong winds. Just shows, the devil's in the detail!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

My lowest temperature last december was on the night of the 20th at -11.1c, though the Crosby metoffice station fell to -17 so my thermometer may have been reading a little high. I did hear that there was some sort of sea smoke that caused the temperature there to fall that far.

I went to look at that site, and I know what caused it. Basically the site is situated just behind the sand dunes at Crosby - so the sea air often doesn't affect the site on clear nights, couple that with the sandy soil which loses heat rapidly, and the open aspect and you have a classic frost hollow situation.

Posted

I went to look at that site, and I know what caused it. Basically the site is situated just behind the sand dunes at Crosby - so the sea air often doesn't affect the site on clear nights, couple that with the sandy soil which loses heat rapidly, and the open aspect and you have a classic frost hollow situation.

Isn't that cheating though?

Posted

I think this December has been remarkable, in that we've maged to achieve so much from such unfavourable conditions. I think today will make it 6 days with some snow falling & 3 with snow lying. That's not too dusty given the overall conditions. If you were just to glance at the overall synoptic for this month in a few years, you'd see it as mild, wet & windy & of little interest apart from some strong winds. Just shows, the devil's in the detail!

Normally in winters past a westerly atlantic jet pattern would bring mild winters. The jet stream as been far enough south to make this period of Atlantic driven weather alot colder than the 90's for instance. Of course not everybody has seen snow, but hopefully as the winter draws on (remember sometimes, winter - again the 90's - didn't feel like it started until after Christmas) favourable setups will become more inclusive for all. Don't want an easterly though (sorry easterners) but the Pennines just kill the showers. <disclaimer - more often than not>

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Cheating? Well they can't stick it on the top of the sand dune! :p The area is pretty flat behind the dunes, very like East Anglia.

Posted

That makes sence, but the govenment have just shifted a load of the sand down to the Alt estuary.

Don't forget that the beach was frozen at the time, I went there, and there were banks of ice 3 feet high. It was mad.

Posted

I see, very odd indeed, but then again the Irish sea shelf is very shallow and the place is extremely tidal, so something the coast may as well be inland!

Posted

Cheating? Well they can't stick it on the top of the sand dune! :p The area is pretty flat behind the dunes, very like East Anglia.

Aye, but if it's over sand, which radiates heat faster, the Met Office shouldn't allow it should they? It's giving readings very specific to the places in the dunes.

Posted

Totally agree, this might sound stupid for an hours worth of snow resulting in less than 2 inches but this mornings snow event will go down as a quite memorable event in my eyes, nowhere near the very best snowfalls i have experienced, but speed at which it settled on roads was quite eye catching but the main thing was the size of the flakes, on a par with the biggest i have ever seen so it just shows you what can be achieved even without Northern Blocking, My favourite is an Easterly but if you said to me we are going to have a winter with a lot of NWerlys in i would say fine because i know i would more than likely get a pasting at some stage although i suppose its a very regional thing as to what type winter setup people prefer. Looking like a boring lul though now for avid snow fans like me, just hope we start to see some signs of at least some decent amplification upstream and maybe a similar setup to what we have just had as we move into jan, i cant see any potent easterlies of Northerlies before mid jan to be honest now.

Posted

I see, very odd indeed, but then again the Irish sea shelf is very shallow and the place is extremely tidal, so something the coast may as well be inland!

Yes SP. I remember hearing a few years ago that if you put St Pauls cathedral in the Irish Sea, the top would be visible, so I guess it's never more than about 30-40 metres deep.

Posted

Thats true, but then Hilbre Island weather station is on sandstone, on an island.

Hilbre Island has a climate like Cornwall though, there are actually met-office stations all over the place which are used for climate data collection, there's one in Heswall.

Dave, yes you could probably walk out half a mile at low tide, without drowning. The Dee estuary here is only about 3 metres at low tide, although it can be 8 metres on high tide.

Posted

Totally agree, this might sound stupid for an hours worth of snow resulting in less than 2 inches but this mornings snow event will go down as a quite memorable event in my eyes, nowhere near the very best snowfalls i have experienced, but speed at which it settled on roads was quite eye catching but the main thing was the size of the flakes, on a par with the biggest i have ever seen so it just shows you what can be achieved even without Northern Blocking, My favourite is an Easterly but if you said to me we are going to have a winter with a lot of NWerlys in i would say fine because i know i would more than likely get a pasting at some stage although i suppose its a very regional thing as to what type winter setup people prefer. Looking like a boring lul though now for avid snow fans like me, just hope we start to see some signs of at least some decent amplification upstream and maybe a similar setup to what we have just had as we move into jan, i cant see any potent easterlies of Northerlies before mid jan to be honest now.

I agree generally, North Westerlies have packed quite a punch for so early in the season. Never like big flakes though, usually means that it's very wet snow & the temp is quite high!

Posted

Normally in winters past a westerly atlantic jet pattern would bring mild winters. The jet stream as been far enough south to make this period of Atlantic driven weather alot colder than the 90's for instance. Of course not everybody has seen snow, but hopefully as the winter draws on (remember sometimes, winter - again the 90's - didn't feel like it started until after Christmas) favourable setups will become more inclusive for all. Don't want an easterly though (sorry easterners) but the Pennines just kill the showers. <disclaimer - more often than not>

I love easterlies but agree a bog standard one doesnt always do the trick but i would love to see a smash the floodgates, once in a generation easterly with the -10s across the whole country, just one more time.