Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Champion! But nobody seems to be posting in it! It's windy here (in Skipton) and very wet. But nothing out of the ordinary really... Is it going to get worse? The BBC and met office forecasts seem to suggest it's going to dry up this afternoon, and they're not forecasting us much in the way of showers, etc. from then on? I wondered whether we might be West enough to catch some snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

It isn't rain that's the concern, it's the wind. Gusts over the Dales could be in excess of 80 miles per hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Wind just starting to gust up here, can't give a speed unfortunately..and we have a rain/ sleet shower..pretty elevated location though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Highest gusts here (so far) were actually earlier this morning, but looking closely at the charts that would be expected, since a slight widening of the isobars over Yorkshire was shown on the 6z for this period. It's only a lull though, the worst of the winds will be later this afternoon and into early evening, (coinciding nicely with rush hour of course). I'm still expecting max gusts up here of between 70 and 80 mph. But we'll see.

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted

Suddenly really wild here, 53.2Mph

I wonder if we'll see the tinsley viaduct close later!

Posted

You can bet Leeds Bradford Airport will be diverting most of its flights to Manchester.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Although I live in South Yorks I work in Leeds and it looks fairly calm at the moment. However the cold front is yet to move through and once it does the winds are likely to pick up quite dramatically this afternoon....stay safe everyone!

Posted

Intense rainfall accompanied by some pretty violent gusts just passed over, quite dramatic.

Posted

Winds defiantly stronger here than they were an hour ago.. barometer steadily dropping, 28.7 inches ..sorry not sure of the reading in mb.. its very old but served my grandmother well for many years. Another heavy rain burst has just started

Posted

That was pretty crazy.. the rain itself wasn't the heaviest I have seen but the wind really drove it along.. felt sorry for the poor binmen who chose to come at the wrong time

Posted

Massive gusts as the cold front cleared, some ridge tiles off on the street

Posted

Wow! I don't know if the wind made it look that way but I didn't kmow it was actually possible for that much rain to fall in so many minutes. Sheffield just got peed on! Bit time! Exciting to see after the dross of the Autumn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Wow! I don't know if the wind made it look that way but I didn't kmow it was actually possible for that much rain to fall in so many minutes. Sheffield just got peed on! Bit time! Exciting to see after the dross of the Autumn

I am in Dronfield 6 miles south of the city centre and i was just about to go out the door i opened it to what can only be described as looking like something you would see on a raging planet program! the rain was really intense and even turned to sleet at one point with snow flakes mixed in the air has now turned alot colder.

Posted

Yes that was epic rain fall here in sheffield, garage now flooded..trees really swaying,bins allover the road..I am not looking forward to the school run :(

Posted

Strangely calm here for the last 30 mins, no more than 25 mph gusts. Calm before the storm ? Or has it peaked earlier than forecast ?

Posted

Just a windy day here in Sheffield, although there was prety intense rainfall a couple of hours ago!

I take it you missed all the fun then Mark we had really intense rainfall with very squally winds with Sleet mixed in for good measure aswell.

Edited by Derbyshire_snow

Posted

I take it you missed all the fun then Mark we had really intense rainfall with very squally winds with Sleet mixed in for good measure aswell.

Could have been in a lecture when that occured. I'm off out this evening for a further lecture, should be fun!

Posted

It's super windy up here at lodge moor ..just wish I had some form of wind speed recording device..Santa best be kind this year.

Posted

It's super windy up here at lodge moor ..just wish I had some form of wind speed recording device..Santa best be kind this year.

Might have a drive upto Fox House and stand at the top of the Hill and let the full force of the wind hold me up :rofl: you most probably think i am bonkers the wind last time must have been upwards of 60mph! easily.

There is a short video of the back end of the Squall here that my girlfriend managed to catch on her phone, also on my flickr pictures are a selection of photos from the incredible snowfalls that we saw in November 2010 for those that are interested.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Edited by Derbyshire_snow