Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, torrential rain.

Nothing in Barnsley

Majority seem to be passing through north on Leeds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

Shame, I don't want a lot..just enough to put off the inlaws annually painful boxing day visit

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alerts;reg=3;sess= hopefully there may still be a chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Blue skies and sunshine here in Dewsbury...*sigh*

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Looks like the showers have died out to the west now, no snow in Leeds.

I would like to turn our attention to Sunday and Monday as all GFS model runs yesterday and today have shown ice days for LS1.

Posted

GFS6z had thursday nights low too far south and as a result precipitation was not intense enough to produce snow for most of Yorkshire (high ground exempt).

GFS12z however has the low further north and an all snow event for Yorkshire..

uksnowrisk.png

Posted

Noob question here...do the colours represent the snow level or the % risk?

Posted

Noob question here...do the colours represent the snow level or the % risk?

Yeah basically just use the key on the right.

Personally I'm not a fan of the snow risk charts. I find it better to view each variable separately, Dew point, 850s, Freezing level etc.

On another note some disruptive snow further north of here around North West Yorkshire.

If we are lucky this could fall further south than projected giving 10cm or so, heres hoping!

Posted

That may be true but this is the second of the last 4 GFS model runs to indicate snow for Leeds (did not see the 0z and 6z barely had the precipitation reach here).

Posted

Yeah basically just use the key on the right.

Personally I'm not a fan of the snow risk charts. I find it better to view each variable separately, Dew point, 850s, Freezing level etc.

On another note some disruptive snow further north of here around North West Yorkshire.

If we are lucky this could fall further south than projected giving 10cm or so, heres hoping!

Thanks. In that case I have hope for snow in the near future. :good:

Posted

Thanks. In that case I have hope for snow in the near future. :good:

No lol sorry.

I forgot to mention your area has a 40-50% chance of snow above 300M. The red dashes have numbers on them which represent meters.

Posted

Bit draughty here tonight! Can't get any readings because the ruddy transmitter on my station has run out of batteries! It's on the piggin roof too so I don't have a clue when I'm gonna be able to safely climb up there!!

Anyway, Looking a lot colder this weekend and into next week. I was looking forward to the brief Northerly that was showing as It's usually a pretty good set up for us on the coast. Looks like It's loosing it's intensity on each run with higher pressure and the 850hpa temps not really getting below -7 which would probably make the situation a little more marginal here at the coast.

Plenty of time for change mind as it doesn't look like Friday's storm is nailed yet which will surely have an impact.

A good bit of model watching coming up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Bit draughty here tonight! Can't get any readings because the ruddy transmitter on my station has run out of batteries! It's on the piggin roof too so I don't have a clue when I'm gonna be able to safely climb up there!!

Anyway, Looking a lot colder this weekend and into next week. I was looking forward to the brief Northerly that was showing as It's usually a pretty good set up for us on the coast. Looks like It's loosing it's intensity on each run with higher pressure and the 850hpa temps not really getting below -7 which would probably make the situation a little more marginal here at the coast.

Plenty of time for change mind as it doesn't look like Friday's storm is nailed yet which will surely have an impact.

A good bit of model watching coming up!

I'm also watching this northerly closely as its my best hope for snow as it seems the west is getting all the fun at the moment. I suppose we were spoilt here in the east this time last year. Although i was caught in a moderate snow shower near Goathland this morning which was a nice surprise. The flow looks to be NNW which means the showers will brush the coast as as you say may be marginal for coastal areas. Some runs on the ensembles showing more of a direct Northerly so not all hope is lost. If the showers push inland slightly you may see some wintry stuff as you have elevation on your side. Where about's in Scarborough are you? Maybe something wintry at Olivers Mount :good:

Posted

I'm also watching this northerly closely as its my best hope for snow as it seems the west is getting all the fun at the moment. I suppose we were spoilt here in the east this time last year. Although i was caught in a moderate snow shower near Goathland this morning which was a nice surprise. The flow looks to be NNW which means the showers will brush the coast as as you say may be marginal for coastal areas. Some runs on the ensembles showing more of a direct Northerly so not all hope is lost. If the showers push inland slightly you may see some wintry stuff as you have elevation on your side. Where about's in Scarborough are you? Maybe something wintry at Olivers Mount :good:

True, We we're really spoilt last year! I'm at Osgodby near Cayton Bay. It may be coastal but The steep cliffs and steady climb makes me 88m ASL. We had some good snow depths last year, yet heading into Scarborough and decreasing that elevation there was a lot less. I bet you had some good snowfall last year with the showers funnelling down the Vale of York! I look out onto the Wolds and watched the showers packing in in that direction when we had the Easterly.

Here's hoping it comes good. Even a 24 hour event would put me in the festive mood!

I notice the MEto have put out a cold weather alert for Yorkshire and Humber too.

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

True, We we're really spoilt last year! I'm at Osgodby near Cayton Bay. It may be coastal but The steep cliffs and steady climb makes me 88m ASL. We had some good snow depths last year, yet heading into Scarborough and decreasing that elevation there was a lot less. I bet you had some good snowfall last year with the showers funnelling down the Vale of York! I look out onto the Wolds and watched the showers packing in in that direction when we had the Easterly.

Here's hoping it comes good. Even a 24 hour event would put me in the festive mood!

I notice the MEto have put out a cold weather alert for Yorkshire and Humber too.

I've only just moved to Malton few months back so i was in York for last winter. Spent most of my days off work driving up to wolds as i love it up there. End of the week certainly looks interesting, if no snow certainly a good frost!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Dew point here is -2.2c.. so snow could have fallen.. darn the showers didn't affect here

Posted

GFS18z and 0z are both game for a snow event as far north as Leeds on thursday night!

Posted

GFS18z and 0z are both game for a snow event as far north as Leeds on thursday night!

I won't hold my breath! I wonder if the temperatures down south will be cold enough for low level snow.. I fear not.. :diablo:

Posted

From TWO

00_48_uksnow.png

Posted

In likely atm, on and off snow, pleanty of large flakes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

I'm envious, there's plenty of dark clouds rolling over here, they just don't seem to want to let go of their contents just yet :(

Edited by honeyplanet

Posted

the Met office has issued a warning for snow friday upto the Humber area

Issued at - 14 Dec 2011, 12:35

Valid from - 16 Dec 2011, 00:05

Valid to - 16 Dec 2011, 10:00

Outbreaks of heavy rain will turn readily to snow during the early hours of Friday. The snow is likely to accumulate over time with a risk of up to 10 cm over higher ground. At low levels sleet is more likely but even here some lying snow cannot be ruled out.

The public should be aware that this could lead to travel disruption on Friday morning.

** just seen BBC weather they say northern track least likely lol**

Edited by russ49

Posted

Chance of snow friday, lets hope this low moves further north than currently progged so we get all the snoooooooow! :clapping:

Id love to get sent home from work n get to chill all day :)

Edited by Harsh Climate