Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

Today is mild but more importantly it isn't raining!

The rest of this mild spell looks a bit wet though, let's hope not

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Is this Windemere as a high up mountainous place? Ive actually been to Windemere before but I was so young I cant recall it. Those temperature seems a little low, unless they are montane temperatures

Posted

I dont mind mild weather, today is lovely. But when there is still leaves on the trees and nats and flies still about it goes to show just how mild things really are. Its not how things are supposed to be. On the other hand this is how it was the other year, and we had the coldest jan- feb on record.

If it's clear and sunny yes but if it's just dull and grey or wet and windy of a day and night which can quite often be the case then urgghh...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

There are alot of people that like the atmosphere of snow and cold, which I can greatly understand, I mean it's seasonal and snow is wonderful because it's so beautiful. Cold on the other is quite raw and it's not comfortable - that said I'm sure there are some people that genuinely like cold, but I don't buy it when someone says "I don't like mild", because chances are they don't mind it - what they don't like is how it uses up potential time for snowfall to occur. (In my opinion anyway).. I agree about rain in winter though, it's not nice, unless it's bordering on very warm for the time of year (eg, above 15C)

Best post of the regional discussions so far.

+1.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I don't mind mild, sunny weather in Spring but not winter, summer has been and gone and it was a total farce so can we at least have one season that isn't messed up.

If it has to be mild in winter then at least let it rain bucket loads like it did in January 2007 and January 2008, otherwise I see no point

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Is this Windemere as a high up mountainous place? Ive actually been to Windemere before but I was so young I cant recall it. Those temperature seems a little low, unless they are montane temperatures

Those temp forecasts seem a little too low especially christmas day and boxing day where 10 degrees will be reached comfortably. Next week who knows...

Posted

WIndemere/Ambleside are lower Lakes I think, Keswick and Ullswater are in the extreme Mountainous range

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Ambleside isn't a lake, it's a lakeside town. It is quite low down though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Wouldn't call Windermere - Ambleside - Keswick extreme mountainous at all....!

Once had Sharp Edge and Halls Fell ridge on Blencathra pencilled in for a winter round - these weren't in condition at all - drove 15 miles to the SW Bowfell and the Crinkles got a pasting - all good fun - a good day.

SP - you ought to get out more often.

That Winderbeer :) forecast looks like sleet anyway.

Ian

Posted

It's weird because I think my local hills are high (Saddleworth Moor, Rishworth Moor, Blackstone Edge) When really they are not that high.

Well that's compared to Cumbria anyway ...

Posted

Festive Wintry PPN for the Western Fells?

post-6879-0-27728700-1324588555_thumb.pn

....Oh and dahn sarf too :rolleyes:

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Once had Sharp Edge and Halls Fell ridge on Blencathra pencilled in for a winter round - these weren't in condition at all - drove 15 miles to the SW Bowfell and the Crinkles got a pasting - all good fun - a good day.

Ian

Ill get the bus there tomorrow :rofl:

I get out quite often, but Wales is my backyard!

Posted

Ian

Yes no town/village in the Lake District should be described as extremely mountainous. Most settlements in the lakes are in the deep low valleys at 200m or below. Compared to Pennine towns and villages the lakeland towns/villages are much lower. Conditions change markedly with heights though - a wet chilly day in the valleys often means a whiteout at 700m +, also you can have snow in one valley but none in another just 2 miles away. local topography/relief plays a huge part in things in these parts.

Posted

Yes no town/village in the Lake District should be described as extremely mountainous. Most settlements in the lakes are in the deep low valleys at 200m or below. Compared to Pennine towns and villages the lakeland towns/villages are much lower. Conditions change markedly with heights though - a wet chilly day in the valleys often means a whiteout at 700m +, also you can have snow in one valley but none in another just 2 miles away. local topography/relief plays a huge part in things in these parts.

February 2009 was a good example of this when most Cities received a rain/sleet mix compared to whiteout.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A bit of a cool down overnight, started the day @ 5.9c.

Into cooler air now and some sheltered areas may get a frost tonight, make the most it though as much milder conditions will be taking over once again.

Posted

Ill get the bus there tomorrow :rofl:

I get out quite often, but Wales is my backyard!

Here you go.....

http://www.distance-calculator.co.uk/distances-for-windermere_,_lake_district-to-wirral.htm

Reduced Bus Service though. :)

Not "done" N Wales much - Tryfan N Ridge was the last time out a few years back - interesting....

Posted

I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments on the spectaular Altocumulus lenticaris display in West yorkshire yesterday! I bored my wife to tears about them when out walking the dog :-)

Posted

I'm surprised there hasn't been any comments on the spectaular Altocumulus lenticaris display in West yorkshire yesterday! I bored my wife to tears about them when out walking the dog :-)

I'm suprised too as they are very rare for our country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16313855

I know for certain though that if snow was on the way this thread would be in melt down. I personally really hope we get some cold and snow before the end of February as sharing snow totals and temperatures etc was great last December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

6.3C today with rain. Rain gauge is almost filled!

Temperature is half what it was yesterday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Feeling more seasonable today, 5.4c with a chilly wind.

Cloud is just beginning to break up with some late sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Blimey just been pelted by a hailstorm! Got really windy here too in leyland. Cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Just got home from Cumbria, and it was much colder there today than it has been all week - the car thermometer was reading 4°C in a rain shower near Penrith at 12:00.