Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Merry Christmas everyone-I see the model threads are picking up nicer charts for cold lovers-albeit h500!

There seems to be a consensus building about PV breakdown.

Have a great day!

11C here ATM!

(leaves room with speedo's on and surf board under arm - on way to New Brighton beach for barbequed Christmas lunch)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

merry Christmas everybody. have a great day :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

wow we have a foehn wind here, exceptional winds and a rapidly rising temperature, also a rapidly decreasing humidity!

14.2C currently, with gusts up to 60mph average speed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

12.5C with a mild, stiff breeze.

6/8 oktas.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

A boxing day opening, after a mild and windy christmas, which i'm sure was accompanied by copious amounts of foods and beverages to lighten the hearts of the north up, what does the festive period and beyond hold?

Mild and unsettled for the most part it seems, but the odd colder snap should bring sleet and snow to the cheviots, lakes and north pennines and so there should be some wintry discussion now and then, but you can chat away whilst we're waiting... no one does banter better than northerners (and OON...).

Previous thread here http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71842-the-far-north-of-england-regional-discussion/

Posted

The NW could break a record today.

Another 2C and Liverpool Airport will have broken the boxing day temperature record. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

Tentative signs apparently that we may see some colder weather as mid January approaches.

Quite windy but ridiculously mild for the time of year out there today.

I suppose the sensible in me says if we can't have bitter cold and snow then we may as well have ridiculous mild which allows the heating to be off through the day and washing out on the line rather than on hot radiators!

Enjoy the rest of the festive break folks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

At least it isn't going to be raining today for the boro game ; perfect day for everyone lasses hit the sales and the lads at the game! :D

Posted

Well there seems to be a growing feeling amongst several members that the winter(in terms of proper cold prospects I mean) is all but over.

Do you all go along with that?

And for the sake of this post not being completely off topic, very mild here today with temperatures somewhere between 13 and 14C.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool, wet summers.

At least it isn't going to be raining today for the boro game ; perfect day for everyone lasses hit the sales and the lads at the game! :D

I'm stuck with Jeff Stelling and co, Forest will no doubt lose again.

Peterborough will outscore us comfortably :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

Not at all, anonymous21, it's not even january yet! had a winter like this in somerset in 1998/99...warm days in glasto, no idea what the weather was up to up here then but we've plenty of time to get a few good cold snaps in...

Hope you all had a crackin christmas and recovered from the sprouts...wonder what odds all that extra methane's made to the ozone layer...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Well there seems to be a growing feeling amongst several members that the winter(in terms of proper cold prospects I mean) is all but over.

And for the sake of this post not being completely off topic, very mild here today with temperatures somewhere between 13 and 14C.

Not one bit over ...some of the computer models are now pulling the trigger,all we need now is the bang...and then its hello to winter 2012

BTW mid January has been my thoughts all along,so 2-3 weeks to get everything in place

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Much of December 1978 including the Christmas period was very mild and yet by Boxing Day that year we were less than a week from the start of what turned out to be one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record.

not saying for a second that this winter is going to follow that same pattern but i don't think that anyone can say winter is over until we are at least chronologically beyond it. Winter 1980-81 was a very mild and almost snowless one but included probably the heaviest April snow storm on record.

IMO there is a long way to go yet.

Posted

Following on from my post a few days ago about mid-January into February being cold, it looks like GP also favours it.

Although the cold looks like coming from a Northerly direction, not the best in terms of snow for our region..

Posted

Following on from my post a few days ago about mid-January into February being cold, it looks like GP also favours it.

Although the cold looks like coming from a Northerly direction, not the best in terms of snow for our region..

A northerly is not great for many parts of the UK for snow apart from Northern Scotland and coastal fringes

Posted

A northerly is not great for many parts of the UK for snow apart from Northern Scotland and coastal fringes

Northerly airflow to embed the cold & a Polar Low forming in the Irish Sea = NW England buried.. This is what we need to watch. :D

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Northerly airflow to embed the cold & a Polar Low forming in the Irish Sea = NW England buried.. This is what we need to watch. :D

Give me an Easterly any day for my part of the world. just love those heavy snow showers coming down through the wash and smashing into Northamptonshire.

Posted

Give me an Easterly any day for my part of the world. just love those heavy snow showers coming down through the wash and smashing into Northamptonshire.

Easterly?

Hell no, leaves the East buried and the West under sunshine and dangerously low temperatures.

I'd take it over mild cloudy days, but I'd take a cold NW'erly over an Easterly any day. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Polar lows very rarely hit the irish sea.

A cold arctic sourced north-westerly is the best for the NW. As is a battleground situation with cold air and heavy snow from the south and south-east. For Northampton, a very cold north-east or east flow will usually deliver.

Posted

A cold arctic sourced north-westerly is the best for the NW. As is a battleground situation with cold air and heavy snow from the south and south-east. For Northampton, a very cold north-east or east flow will usually deliver.

If I recall correctly, we've had a Polar Low in the Irish Sea the last 2 winters.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

A battleground situation will give Northants a good dumping too. Aka feb 2009 when over a foot of snow fell in 2 days. take a look a TETIS signature pic. :good: