Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

GFS suggests DP's of 0C which will tend to rise in showers. Inland & the Pennines have a chance, coastal areas, no chance. :p

That was my point never mentioned any chances for coastal areas lol

C.S

Posted

I'm not coastal :)

Yes LOL i know

intresting few days for your location Rain/Snow/Wind everythink but the kitchen sink

at least i hope not for your kitchen sink

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I'm not coastal :)

Probably too far south east to be affected by any showers tomorrow..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Anyone doing the honours on this thread over the next 24 hours or are people not confident? i have to say im very sceptical of even falling snow here, let alone lying snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Anyone doing the honours on this thread over the next 24 hours or are people not confident? i have to say im very sceptical of even falling snow here, let alone lying snow.

Not very confident to be honest. Certainly not here anyway. However I'll still be around to see how things pan out. Temp 7c and dewpoint currently 6.4c

Posted

Not very confident to be honest. Certainly not here anyway. However I'll still be around to see how things pan out. Temp 7c and dewpoint currently 6.4c

Meanwhile Manchester airport TAF from 03.00-1800hrs are going for snow showers at first turning back to rain showers later in the day

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

NAE is a horrible model, my least favourite model, but this time I have to agree with it.

There's no northerly element to the flow, so we'll stay dry and sunny whilst Lancashire has rain. Not like I'm bothered, as the conditions aren't right for snow. :D

Wind is WSW, uppers barely touching -5C and a dewpoint above 0C.

Let them have their rain. :lol:

I remember not so long back you were ramping the snow potential up with conditions marginally less favourable than what you have just mentioned :)

150-200m for snowfall tomorrow and 300m+ to see any lying snow of any significance, blustery hail and sleet showers down to lower levels and I hope I don't get woken up again at 4.30am tomorrow by an active thunder cell!!

Temp is down to 5.2 with a dew point of 1.1c.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Very heavy rain/hail shower just popped up out of nowhere over the Irish Sea. Dog and myself absolutely drenched.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Some pretty active showers and cells moving eastwards over Ireland atm, temp dropping here 4.7c with a dew of 0.8c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

North York Moors has a good covering above 200m, gonna head to the dales today.. should be fun :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Woke up to a bit of a frost this morning. Seems to have got frostier since I woke at six aswell.

Posted

Quite frosty here this morning, cars and most roof tops are still frosted over. The hills also look like they've had a small covering of snow.

Posted

Tommorows weather is looking very interesting to say the least!

We are going to have a deepening atlantic storm coinciding with a strong jet and heavy perhaps torrential rain, which the convective nature of it may only exacerbate the strong winds! :o .

It first looked like the strongest winds would be in a short window of around between 4am and 8am. Now its looking more prolonged with damaging winds possible from 4am-12 noon, perhaps severe gales lasting into the evening!

Rtavn308.png

Rtavn2412.png

Rtavn249.png

I would say gusts widely of 55-65mph, with 80-85mph in more exposed areas!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this map I have highlighted in red were I expect the highest gusts to be.

In the red box over north west england I expect gusts widely of 70-85mph.

In the red box over eastern england I expect gusts of 70-80mph

And in the black box I expect gusts of 60-70mph.

Expect:

• Trees/branches down
  • disuption to travel networks
  • disruption to power supplies
  • possible flooding due to the very heavy rain.

So be carefull when venturing out :)

post-4607-0-90193000-1325502291_thumb.jp

Posted

We've had it all this morning, hail, grauple and then snow. It settled further up the valley which is about 200ft higher than us.

However the gritting lorries have been out all morning so they must be expecting something else later or they would not have bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

the irish sea is overrated

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

So much for that met office warning for snow above 200m today :lol:

They really are pretty useless.

I know was supposed to be waking up to a covering of snow, even on low ground where i am, but its cold, temp dropping to 6 c at the mo, had a few gusts earlier but wind has died down now and got clearish,crisp skies at the mo. I notice the snow forecast from the met has gone and changed to wind and rain here in the northwest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Had a good trip to the dales, snow level was around 300m. The road between Patelely Bridge and Grassington around Greenhow was very snowy indeed and made driving conditions very hard. Snow level was alot higher than predicted by the BBC.

Posted

Not quite as snowy as I was expecting today. Enjoyed a good walk in the Troutbeck Valley but there was only a light dusting of snow above about 400m with a general thin cover above about 650m. Most of the showers overnight were very shortlived and those today - limited convection. Most of the showers also produced graupel/hail which on first glance appeared to be snow. We escaped a frost thanks to the wind and cloud cover - its now 15 nights since we saw a frost, preety poor statistic. The coming days look average temp wise perhaps with an air frost on Thursday.

Today believe it or not has been the best day since the 18th in terms of sunshine levels - we actually saw a few shortlived breaks in the cloud inbetween the showers.. this is turning into a notably sunless spell for the Lake District , but hey we are in the depths of winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Not quite as snowy as I was expecting today. Enjoyed a good walk in the Troutbeck Valley but there was only a light dusting of snow above about 400m with a general thin cover above about 650m. Most of the showers overnight were very shortlived and those today - limited convection. Most of the showers also produced graupel/hail which on first glance appeared to be snow. We escaped a frost thanks to the wind and cloud cover - its now 15 nights since we saw a frost, preety poor statistic. The coming days look average temp wise perhaps with an air frost on Thursday.

Today believe it or not has been the best day since the 18th in terms of sunshine levels - we actually saw a few shortlived breaks in the cloud inbetween the showers.. this is turning into a notably sunless spell for the Lake District , but hey we are in the depths of winter.

Winter? What's that?

Posted

Winter? What's that?

It's that thing that started on the 21st of December or the beginning of December, depending on how you like to do things.

February tends to be the most wintry month so plenty of time for things to turn colder... :)

Posted

Today has indeed been the sunniest day for....well.....for what seems like a very long time, but probably only a few weeks. A long walk with the dogs was enjoyed, because the next two days are going to be indoor days I think. The showers stayed to the north of us today, and not sure it would have deposited white stuff even if we had been unlucky enough to get them.

I think February has been dissapointing in terms of snow fall in recent years, but maybe that's just an immediate comparison i'm making to the December we had last winter, and a few snow events in January too.