Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Southerly wind starting to pick up here now ahead of cold front.

A much more seasonal feel to the weather tomorrow with gale force winds and temps

of 5 or 6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Southerly wind starting to pick up here now ahead of cold front.

A much more seasonal feel to the weather tomorrow with gale force winds and temps

of 5 or 6c.

Yes very strong winds accompanied by -4c/-5c uppers so perhaps some wintry showers above 200m in co durham and northumberland, aswell as cumbria of course.

Just like to say I appreciate your technical voice on the forecasting model discussion, very nice and informative posts :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Hope everybody is having a good Christmas so far!

Mine was very good until it was suggested that the best way to spend the day after Boxing Day was to join many thousands of our fellow citizens in worshiping the patron saint of retail at that great cathedral called the Trafford Centre.

Never mind, all good things come to an end and now it's quiet time with a glass or three of red.

Posted

Yes very strong winds accompanied by -4c/-5c uppers so perhaps some wintry showers above 200m in co durham and northumberland, aswell as cumbria of course.

Just like to say I appreciate your technical voice on the forecasting model discussion, very nice and informative posts :)

Cheers for that. :)

I generally try to keep it short and sweet otherwise i'll trip myself up. :lol:

I see we are now merged with the rest of the good folk of yorkshire. the north! :gathering:

Edited by Teesdale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Cheers for that. :)

I generally try to keep it short and sweet otherwise i'll trip myself up. :lol:

I see we are now merged with the rest of the good folk of yorkshire. the north! :gathering:

Hahaha- it was good while it lasted, lets hope it's 'far north' soon, as we get that first blast from the north-east ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very windy tomorrow afternoon for the northern parts of the region, severe westerly gales developing with gusts over 70mph possible on the exposed Cumbrian coast and higher ground further inland, NE England is also at risk of very strong gusts with the westerly winds bouncing over the north Pennines.

hold on to your hats guys!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Hahaha- it was good while it lasted, lets hope it's 'far north' soon, as we get that first blast from the north-east ;)

Oi, we're not that bad :p

Posted

If the winds are really strong tomorrow it might lead to disruption on the M6 meaning I can't take the kids to Walby Farm Park.

Alternatively, I could just hide the car keys.

Posted

After a week of very mild weather the fells should see some of the white stuff tomorrow. Shame we have had to endure such a mild spell stripping them bare after what was an exceptionally good start to the season. The weekend before christmas saw bumper snow amounts and the ski tow at raise had to be dug out of the deep drifts. One major factor for the rapid snowfall melt was down to the snow being unconsolidated with very limited freeze/thaw action. As a result this has been the worse christmas week for winter walking in the Lake District since 2002. Whilst 2006 and 2007 saw snowfree conditions at this time in the year- at least we saw some decent frosts and pleasant dry conditions. It will be sods law winter conditions will resume next week when many of us are back at work!! we really have been spoilt the past three years. Have to say the weather at the moment is so uninspiring and the outlook not that much better - we will we ever see the sun again, we've had 8 days now with barely a glimmer of it.

Posted

If the winds are really strong tomorrow it might lead to disruption on the M6 meaning I can't take the kids to Walby Farm Park.

Alternatively, I could just hide the car keys.

And here's me thinking the M6 was the disruption!! :p

Posted

Not as it goes through Cumbria it's not. They could make it single carriageway and you'd still be able to have a picnic in the middle of it without putting yourself at any danger. I think the only reason they made it three lanes was to get people halfway to Workington before they could change their mind and turn back.....with apologies to people who live in Workington.....it must be horrid for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Got my window open as I am doing college assignment work on my computer. I think the temp is around a mild 9 degrees at the nearest weather station to me, but the wind blowing on me is very chilly. Nice and fresh though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

the sun was out for a good few hours on boxing day, felt almost spring like. Was out for a bit yesterday as well. Currently 10.4c, dry with a breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Considering the intensity of the depression crossing northern Scotland the associated cold front was pitifully weak away from western and north western areas. I was anticipating at least 8mm of rain and got 0.4 mm.

It doesn't look as though there'll be as much shower activity as originally forecast a couple of days ago either, at least for central areas.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Was in Whitby today.

A walk up to the Abbey revealed that the wind was gusting WAY over 60mph, into the 70's easily.

Lovely day too, around 7C with sunshine for most of the day.

Posted

Another dull day here in the Lake District and a very windy one to boot. However, we haven't much rain just a few heavy shortlived bursts this evening. Tomorrow should be a calmer day and who knows the sun may make an appearance.

Posted

A significant increase in wind speed this evening with the mean speed reaching 41 mph and a gust of 64 mph at 2039.

It's calmed down somewhat in the last hour but still gusting to 50 mph.

Posted

Sleet in the heavier showers earlier this morning with the temp' around 2.4c but from 0700 all the showers were of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Currently 5.8'c here so not much chance of anything wintry falling.

It's certainly been a wild last 24 hours or so with the wind roaring throughout the night and has rained almost constantly since the early hours although it's fine at the moment.

Hopefully a change in year will bring a change in weather patterns although there is little to suggest a major shift at present.

Posted

Showers likely to turn wintry in the late afternoon as cold air floods in, reports of snow in Scotland.

Temperature: 6.c