Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms 13th to 16th December 2011 - Part 4

Coast

Posted

Well morning all,

Morning Jean!

Thanks for digging out that article. Google Chrome automatically translated it and from what I read, it wasn't quite as bad as we all thought. That's probably quite a relief as some of the conditions that were being forecast during the week could have been devastating.

Posted

Morning Jean!

Thanks for digging out that article. Google Chrome automatically translated it and from what I read, it wasn't quite as bad as we all thought. That's probably quite a relief as some of the conditions that were being forecast during the week could have been devastating.

No not as bad , i think in the South West people took it very seriously as most are still traumatized by the Xynthia storm in february 2009 where they had submersive sea and the fatalities that resulted.

First time i received a texto from my inssurance conpagny yesterday afternoon to warn me of possible strongest wind in my area!!!! The storm was well talked about yesterday on the news.

Still windy here not far off 40 miles for strongest gusts!

And can see a few branches here and there, on the ground,just one or 2 larger ones, from my balcony

Edited by jean91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Well the Atlantic looks much quieter for a few days now, BUT signs that things may turn rather more unsettled and potentially stormy as we approach the Christmas weekend? :)

post-9615-0-25129100-1324045168_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-97901500-1324045177_thumb.pn

Posted

No not as bad , i think in the South West people took it very seriously as most are still traumatized by the Xynthia storm in february 2009 where they had submersive sea and the fatalities that resulted.

I'm not surprised considering 60 people died. If it's of interest there is a link to a paper on that storm here.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/67535-severe-storm-xynthia/

Posted

Well the Atlantic looks much quieter for a few days now, BUT signs that things may turn rather more unsettled and potentially stormy as we approach the Christmas weekend? :)

GFS says yes!

MU_London_avn.png

Posted

Ok last night storm wasn't as bad as expected, i watched it in last night i had a feeling this was probably the worst of it all,

So moving on, what the possibilities of a white one then folks ?

Those charts look like a similar scenario to this mornings snowfall

Posted

GFS says yes!

MU_London_avn.png

Just what I like to see!

Been quite a while since we last had a real stormy Christmas period, between Xmas and New Year is the time of year I tend to associate with the weather going a bit bonkers with everything and the kitchen sink thrown in for good measure! :)

I shall be keeping a close eye on the model outputs as we get ever closer to the festive week. :good:

Posted

I shall be keeping a close eye on the model outputs as we get ever closer to the festive week. :good:

Something not right about that period around the 22nd!!

*goes to look at what the clever people are saying in the model thread*

Posted

Ok last night storm wasn't as bad as expected, i watched it in last night i had a feeling this was probably the worst of it all,

So moving on, what the possibilities of a white one then folks ?

Those charts look like a similar scenario to this mornings snowfall

Afternoon David :)

We have a thread over in the weather discussion forum which looks at the weather conditions and the prospects (if any) of the UK seeing a white Christmas.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/70877-white-christmas-2011/page__st__240

Posted

Afternoon David smile.png

We have a thread over in the weather discussion forum which looks at the weather conditions and the prospects (if any) of the UK seeing a white Christmas.

http://forum.netweat...1/page__st__240

Good afternoon

Brilliant liam thank you very much, i'll grab me coat and head strait on over...

What did you mean by ***Something not right about that period around the 22nd!!*** ?

Edited by DavidHB

Posted

What did you mean by ***Something not right about that period around the 22nd!!*** ?

That was Coast who posted that, not sure myself... maybe he will be back to give us an update? :)

Posted

post-6667-0-40343500-1324052294_thumb.pn

The peaks in the graphs for these levels in the atmosphere are greater and for longer than the action at the beginning of this week. I know they are a long way away yet, but i need to go and understand what they would mean if it panned out. Anyway as Corporal Jones says:

jones_dontpanic_11.jpg

Posted

post-6667-0-40343500-1324052294_thumb.pn

The peaks in the graphs for these levels in the atmosphere are greater and for longer than the action at the beginning of this week. I know they are a long way away yet, but i need to go and understand what they would mean if it panned out. Anyway as Corporal Jones says:

jones_dontpanic_11.jpg

Interesting, i'm not to familiar with these sorts of charts, still learning...

So basically we could see some more decent LOW LPs moving in?

Posted

So basically we could see some more decent LOW LPs moving in?

Possibly, I'm not going to look any further until Monday/Tuesday next week otherwise it will all go pear shaped!

Posted

Possibly, I'm not going to look any further until Monday/Tuesday next week otherwise it will all go pear shaped!

*starts a Mexican wave*

Hi all, I'm unable to look at charts etc :-( Glad to hear whispers of something in the pipe work, as after an intense week with regaurds to our weather, I have to admitt that I have been left a little dissapointed :'( I am not asking for armeggedon, just a little excitement in my location :-s

Posted

Hi Jo, I'm thinking we could be heading for an unsettled Christmas period this year but it's a bit early to start calling this with confidence, as coast mentioned he will be holding back until Mon/Tue.

If you'd like to learn more about the models and what they represent why not visit our learning area, you can find all sorts of useful information and advice. :)

http://forum.netweather.tv/forum/69-learners-area/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windstorm, Thunderstorm, Heavy Squally, Blustery Winds

The storm wasn't be bad much but there is a another violent one this next week. Stay safe. :good:

Posted

The next storm of any real significance is likely to come in the time frame 23-25 December, and so far appears strong only in the far north.

The UK and Ireland really dodged a bullet when the Thursday storm decided to head due east instead of the once-featured northeast track. A storm that managed the intensity of last night's event in France, heading northeast and tapping even more jet stream energy, could have been a very severe outcome for the UK and Ireland. So, while weather fanatics might have been disappointed, the general public and the government could be quite happy about that outcome.

Posted

Good evenng Roger, I get the feeling as we head towards Christmas the weather will be turning much more disturbed again? The charts are nearly there but everything is still a wee bit far north and most of the UK would escape.

I do expect more stormy weather on the cards for the UK over the next week or so.

Posted

Going to start a new thread soon folks :)

Posted