Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

lol. It's nothing great at the moment, but hopefully it will change even better soon.

Hmm, this ppn is garbage.

Better than rain though, which is what I have.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Heavy Snow showers still this morning :D, a bit more wet though now, ground turning quite slushy, looks good on the hills!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Quite a contrast to this time yesterday....rain with icy pellets thrown in with sheet ice a problem on the pavements by the looks of things

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

yay heavy snow again

Posted

here's a few shots from the thundersnow we had about 45 mins ago, played around with the shutter speed and iris in the 1st two pics to get a better contrast ratio between the flakes and the background ,last 1 taken straight after but same intensity falling although hard to believe.... amazing what technology can do nowadays!....

29xzzhs.jpg

9tjxgz.jpg

v7qf86.jpg

Posted

Gone quite dark here now :/

I was just about to ask, whats the visibility like up there? Think that answers it. Can't see the hills from mine, covered in a thick layer of cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

I was just about to ask, whats the visibility like up there? Think that answers it. Can't see the hills from mine, covered in a thick layer of cloud.

Visibility and the ppn is rubbish :( Everything else is thawing slowly.

Posted

Nothings melting here, apart from where people have next to no insulation fitted. Can't hear the trickle of melt water outside anyway. Trying to snow again here. Could do with it drying up so I can at least attempt to fit some new gear to my car, which is currently strewn all over the back room.

Posted

The shower turned to wet snow for a few minutes. Huge flakes which were nice to see.

Moved away now.

Lovely photos from Stoke!

Karyo

Posted

You'll be pleased to know, we have SNOW! Massive flakes too!

:o

There is ppn here, but whatever it is it is light. Send some my way, please!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Notice the showers missing me again, if it they were of snow i would of been fuming lol

Posted

Snow is here. small but very danse flakes...yey

Flakes increasing in size. Hell yeah"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Snow is here. small but very danse flakes...yey

Flakes increasing in size. Hell yeah"

enjoy mate :)

Posted

:o

There is ppn here, but whatever it is it is light. Send some my way, please!!!

I think the upper might of gotten to the point where snow is most likely for our area now, unless evaporative cooling has happen, either way its heading your kinda way. Still coming down here alot.

Posted

Wow massive flakes :o

Holy :o The size of the flakes :o

Haha told you they were coming.

Stopped here for a couple of minutes and started again, massive flakes again. :good:

Edited by Martin M

Posted

The latest frames on the radar showing the band of showers clearing the north and east of the region.

Later, this afternoon they should be restricted in the southwestern extremities and north Wales.

A frosty night and then hopefully some snow for our region tomorow morning before the milder uppers move in.

Karyo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Obviously altitude playing a more important role today

Altitude is certainly a major factor with lying snow today, at least in East Lancashire.

The moorland section of the drive to Burnley at 10am ish was a difficult one with almost white out conditions and snow completely covering the road yet in Burnley centre there was nothing on the ground and rain was falling.

Coming back, the snow line starts at about 1000ft with around 2 inches of snow on the sides of the road at the summit section about 1350ft ASL whilst in Bacup town centre at 850ft its just slushy.

In the years i've been taking notice of the weather there does seem to be a tendancy in Rossendale, certainly under what i would call general winter conditions for the snow line to hug the 1000ft contour as does the hill fog line.

Interestingly I did once read an article although i'm not sure whether is is based on fact which said that the building of the M62 over the Pennines was carried out in such a way as to keep the summit altitude to just below a point where the frequency of lying snow and hill fog become far greater.

Posted

Heavy flakes have resumed after a 5 minute break.

Looking at the latest radar on rain today, I wonder if that will be it for a while>

Posted

Even though it was heavy before iit wasnt really sticking, now its coming down at the rate it did yesterday afternoon, everywhere now covered again. Annoying it gets going just as the precip is about to dissappear. My phones playing up so cant take any pictures :doh:

Edited by Martin M