Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Light snow again.

Even though it was heavy before iit wasnt really sticking, now its coming down at the rate it did yesterday afternoon, everywhere now covered again. My phones playing up so cant take any pictures :doh:

You still got heavy snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Broken cloud and sunshine here now and looking at the radar i think that's our lot with the activity veering slighly further south.

But for the slushy mess on the ground it would be a lovely afternoon.

It's not been a bad few days for most of the region but even for those with snow it's probably a far cry from the equivelant Saturday last winter when most of us were sub zero with many inches of snow on the ground and no sign of an end to the big freeze.

Posted

What's chanced or snow tonight/tomorrow? Met Office has me now for sunshine all day tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Broken cloud and sunshine here now and looking at the radar i think that's our lot with the activity veering slighly further south.

But for the slushy mess on the ground it would be a lovely afternoon.

It's not been a bad few days for most of the region but even for those with snow it's probably a far cry from the equivelant Saturday last winter when most of us were sub zero with many inches of snow on the ground and no sign of an end to the big freeze.

yeah, this Saturday last year fantastic, snowed here all morning from a shortwave moving through the midlands, although S and W midlands got more

Posted

Light snow again.

You still got heavy snow?

Yep still coming down here, looking at rain today it looks like I might just stay in that band moving southeast from Wigan.

Posted

Rained all morning here, which is a very very good thing...to wash that dangerous black ice off the roads and pavements

Feels a bit chilly but its surprising mild at 6.8C, doubt we'll see any more rises in temperature today.

At least 95% of the black ice as gone..possibly may even see clear spells tonight allowing for a frost...wishful thinking perhaps

Altitude is certainly a major factor with lying snow today, at least in East Lancashire.

The moorland section of the drive to Burnley at 10am ish was a difficult one with almost white out conditions and snow completely covering the road yet in Burnley centre there was nothing on the ground and rain was falling.

Coming back, the snow line starts at about 1000ft with around 2 inches of snow on the sides of the road at the summit section about 1350ft ASL whilst in Bacup town centre at 850ft its just slushy.

In the years i've been taking notice of the weather there does seem to be a tendancy in Rossendale, certainly under what i would call general winter conditions for the snow line to hug the 1000ft contour as does the hill fog line.

Interestingly I did once read an article although i'm not sure whether is is based on fact which said that the building of the M62 over the Pennines was carried out in such a way as to keep the summit altitude to just below a point where the frequency of lying snow and hill fog become far greater.

tbh they can keep the slush ice, because thats all its going to end up as...we had our fair share yesterday, it was awful to say the least...wet sticky snow turned to black ice almost as soon as it hit the roads.

Thankfully height is playing an important role into today's wet snow storms.

Posted

Snow has finally stopped here, clear blue skies seem to be coming this way now, could be a nice wintry afternoon for the east of the region.

Posted

All our snow had gone by mid day and we've had some lovely sunshine here. It's clouded over now and is raining. There is possibly some sleet in it but not much. Airport recording 5 deg and forecasting rain until Monday. :(

Edit: Heavy hailstones now!!

Edited by LiverBird

Posted

Well the last two days have certainly shown how fickle the weather can be, yesterday seemingly by a miracle everything went right now today on the other hand seemingly that could go wrong has gone wrong lol

In seriousness we really couldn't expect much else out of an Atlantic driven weather system especially for those of us who live more coastal, with the way things are now it's simply too marginal, we just happened to be on the right side of it yesterday. As has been already well established on here the only way we'd be guaranteed more of the same or more is if we had a proper blocking pattern, Hopefully we'll start to see a change towards something like that at some point in January, fingers crossed.

For now I'm just happy for what we managed to get as I really didn't expect much if anything at all a few days ago.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Are we to expect anything over the next few hours or days?

Edit: Just looked at the gfs and it shows snow for the south of the region at 6 tonight. Is this looking likely

Edited by saintpeter

Posted

Are we to expect anything over the next few hours or days?

Edit: Just looked at the gfs and it shows snow for the south of the region at 6 tonight. Is this looking likely

Might be wrong but personally I wouldn't count it going by the law of averages.

Posted

Had a rain/sleet shower around 2pm, turned the snow a little slushy, went for a drive up in the hills again, around 20m visibilty with fog and it was still snowing heavily. Around 25cm in places up there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Well here in Leyland (south lancs) we had really heavy snow yesterday, at first it wasnt sticking but then we got a decent covering. Today its all gone now due to the heavy rain and then slight sleety rain this aft. Just the odd fluffy cloud in a blue sky now, very cold though. Hey ho c'mon snow!

Posted

Can see the anvils running down the Irish Sea.

What does that mean mr data. 12z still has snow for the south of region at 18:00 tonight and then again at 03:00 tomorrow. Looks like there is a real chance. Hot cuppa and backtrack what do you think.

Posted

What does that mean mr data. 12z still has snow for the south of region at 18:00 tonight and then again at 03:00 tomorrow. Looks like there is a real chance. Hot cuppa and backtrack what do you think.

An anvil is the top of a cumulonimbus cloud and I can see the shower streamer (a series of anvils) running down the Irish Sea

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Oh i follow now. I thought you meant something was coming down for us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

GFS and NAE say yes to possible snow first thing in the morning,NAE for most of the region

GFS for the south of the region

a slight possibility of a few more flakes until all areas turn milder come Monday

C.S

Posted

Those streamers are currently delivering hail to the Iom giving a couple of cm to the road outside my house at least. My house is about a meter above sea level lol!

If the rest of that big streamer on rain today passes over us then we could see significant levels here

Posted

Urgh, hope these winds change so that I can have a streamer :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Whats's happening folks?

Left work at 4.30pm and my car was frozen solid! It was indicating -1c

Back at home home and the temp is 2.0c with no frost at all, thanks to a light wind off the sea.