Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

July 2008 in my back yard was actually warmer than average (both day and night), but very, very wet. The nights were really mild, I wouldn't mind a month similar to that, warm and wet is always best in summer IMO!

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

If we could have July 2006 weather from June to August then I will gladly forgive that dire April and anything May delivers!

Posted

I can't think of single positive thing to say about the unspring-like dross we've been enduring since the March heatwave broke on 31st March. Today was the 20th consecutive day with below average maxima but it did reach 10C for the first time since 17th April. That's 13 consecutive days in single figures. The longest run of sub-10C maxes I can find after mid-April, in the past 50 years at least, was only 10 days (24th April - 3rd May 1978).

The highest temperature I recorded during April was just 12.8C which is lower than the mean max for March and lower than the monthly maximum for each of the past 14 months with the sole exception of January 2012.

Max of 13.2C at Dyce was the 2nd lowest for April since records began in 1941, only April 2001 with 13.1C recorded a lower monthly maximum. I can recall the 2 days in April 2001 which reached 13C and both were very pleasant and sunny and felt much warmer. By contrast the warmest day of April 2012 was grey, drizzly and horrible and felt considerably chillier.

April also set a new record for rain days with 26 compared to the previous record of 24 and sunshine was the lowest since 1941bad.gif

May started off sunny until grey muck rolled in off the North Sea almost bang-on 5pm resulting in another wasted eveningrolleyes.gif

Posted

Thinking back to hot Augusts of the past, it's been a seriously long time since we had one with heat right the way through the month. Even 2003 had a much cooler second half than first half. August 1999 had a hot start but the heat didn't last through the month. The last one with heat right through the month was 1997. Looking back to August 1995, it looks like it was an incredible month- I can remember 1995 but was too young to pay attention to the weather back then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Thinking back to hot Augusts of the past, it's been a seriously long time since we had one with heat right the way through the month. Even 2003 had a much cooler second half than first half. August 1999 had a hot start but the heat didn't last through the month. The last one with heat right through the month was 1997. Looking back to August 1995, it looks like it was an incredible month- I can remember 1995 but was too young to pay attention to the weather back then!

I remember it too - summer holidays and I was 14 years old. I spent the whole holiday playing Dune 2 on my Acorn computer saying it was too hot to go outside. Oh the stupidity of youth! Give anything for a month like that right now...

Posted

Ha, August 1995 would be too hot for me to go running at midday.. well, most of the time.

Yes August 1995 was the last truly hot August nationwide..

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Looking good for a frost on Saturday night. below freezing in rural areas, maybe even a few degrees below.

t850West~Yorkshire.png

A good dumping on higher ground in scotland and shpwers turning wintry on low ground in scotland and higher ground a bit further south.

prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I remember it too - summer holidays and I was 14 years old. I spent the whole holiday playing Dune 2 on my Acorn computer saying it was too hot to go outside. Oh the stupidity of youth! Give anything for a month like that right now...

Yeah, I was similar- I wasn't as tolerant of heat back then so I spent most of my summer holiday playing the first Doom (I remember getting stuck on E3M4 with the maze of switches) and thinking it was too hot outside, even in Tyneside. That said, I remember numerous trips to the beach. These days I would only find a month like that too hot if I was based around London.

However I preferred July 2006 to August 1995 because it had more showery/thundery/convective outbreaks thrown in (of course others may argue that August 1995 was the better month for the same reason- each to their own really!). In Leeds July 2006 would've scored at least 9.5/10 from me, it was like a good version of a continental summer month.

Posted

got me first swallows of the year,they were here on the 27th last year. but are bang on the date the year prior.

Posted

Thought I heard a swift on Monday night but wasn't sure. Suspect the atrocious conditions from Spain to the UK will probably send them to Eastern Europe instead.

They normally arrive around now (leaving end of July) and for me mark the best period of the year - the sound of them souring on a warm evening is just wonderful. Like a sound that all is well and you're in the time of plenty...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

A May that fails to reach 20C? I doubt that's ever happened before.

Locally we failed to breach 12-13C in April... until the very last day, when it reached a balmy 18C. April 2012 also fell at the last hurdle to join the "no double-figure CET daily means" club, recording 10.8C for the 30th.

Yes it was only the last day that prevented the coldest April maximum temperature on record from being recorded. As it stands too, there's a decent chance of the coldest maximum temperature in May being absolutely smashed to pieces comes the end of the month. I will do some research now and find out what the official stance is on it.

edit: lowest absolute maximum temperature recorded in May at Bidston is 16.0C in 1879. We've come close so far but haven't reached that in the first few days of May.. this means this temperature record has a very real chance of being broken.

Posted

Swifts arrived here on Wednesday this week. Lots around today.

Still no asparagus!

what a cruel blow to what can be and in many years is the best month of the year in my book. The only other month that gives May a running is June - lets hope for a change by the end of the month.

Don't agree at all, if you mean settled summer like warmth July, August and even September are miles better than May, you only have to look at the averages to see that and June is also the coolest summer month and prone to what is called the european monsoon and northerly blocking in recent years, September to me is showing trends of warming whilst June isnt.

Posted

September and June are virtually the same, except the daylight hours. In coastal locations, September is usually warmer than June because of the seasonal lag.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Traditionally the jet stream over the Atlantic is at its weakest during May and early June, giving a greater tendency for northerly and easterly winds, anticyclonic spells, and slack cyclonic/showery types. This leads to north-western Britain having a relatively high frequency of dry sunny days.

During June the jet stream typically strengthens again (hence Philip Eden suggesting that the "European monsoon" should really be renamed the "Return of the Westerlies") and we see a higher frequency of the pattern with a strong Azores High periodically ridging into southern areas and Atlantic frontal systems moving across northern Britain at intervals. This results in cloudier and slightly wetter weather across much of northern and western Britain, and as we head towards autumn increasingly powerful depressions are possible resulting in a sharp increase in rainfall over western Scotland and Cumbria. For eastern and southern England, though, rainfall and sunshine tend to remain consistent from May to July while in the meantime it becomes progressively warmer, making July the most reliable month on average for outdoor activities.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Don't agree at all, if you mean settled summer like warmth July, August and even September are miles better than May, you only have to look at the averages to see that and June is also the coolest summer month and prone to what is called the european monsoon and northerly blocking in recent years, September to me is showing trends of warming whilst June isnt.

By August there is a sense of decay all around and by September you cant escape the whiff of manure that sweeps across the contryside. May on the other hand is all about the vibrant fresh growth and everything bursting into life. I love sunshine and heat whenever it happens but the combination of a nice day and the sights and sounds of May is something i always look forward to.

Posted

Yeah May >> September by far. May & June are my favourite months - everything is bursting into life and the days are so long - and still getting longer.

September is 'nice' in so much you're getting the last of the good stuff before the descent but with it getting dark shortly after work you're restricted to weekends again if any decent weather turns up.

Posted

Thought I heard a swift on Monday night but wasn't sure. Suspect the atrocious conditions from Spain to the UK will probably send them to Eastern Europe instead.

They normally arrive around now (leaving end of July) and for me mark the best period of the year - the sound of them souring on a warm evening is just wonderful. Like a sound that all is well and you're in the time of plenty...

No swifts here yet swallows only and they are a week later than usual

Traditionally the jet stream over the Atlantic is at its weakest during May and early June, giving a greater tendency for northerly and easterly winds, anticyclonic spells, and slack cyclonic/showery types. This leads to north-western Britain having a relatively high frequency of dry sunny days.

During June the jet stream typically strengthens again (hence Philip Eden suggesting that the "European monsoon" should really be renamed the "Return of the Westerlies") and we see a higher frequency of the pattern with a strong Azores High periodically ridging into southern areas and Atlantic frontal systems moving across northern Britain at intervals. This results in cloudier and slightly wetter weather across much of northern and western Britain, and as we head towards autumn increasingly powerful depressions are possible resulting in a sharp increase in rainfall over western Scotland and Cumbria. For eastern and southern England, though, rainfall and sunshine tend to remain consistent from May to July while in the meantime it becomes progressively warmer, making July the most reliable month on average for outdoor activities.

In recent summers locally June has been the best summer month for quite a few years, and I suspect that is the case across much of the UK as well, while July has been the worst summer month, although perhaps July 11 was better than August 11. [This is sort of backing up much of your comment.]

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomalygraphs.

When compared to average 2007,2009, 2010 and 2011 saw June the warmest summer month.

2008 to 2010 saw June the driest summer month, again compared to average.

while 2008 to 2011 saw June being the sunniest summer month again compared to average.

While some of these stats simply show June being not as bad as other months, June 2009 and June 2010, were both very good summer months, with temps and sunshine amounts above/well above average, rainfall below/well below average and this covers all parts of the UK.

Also because these summers have been so front ended, perceptions have been less favourable than the actual weather observed.

Posted

By August there is a sense of decay all around and by September you cant escape the whiff of manure that sweeps across the contryside. May on the other hand is all about the vibrant fresh growth and everything bursting into life. I love sunshine and heat whenever it happens but the combination of a nice day and the sights and sounds of May is something i always look forward to.

By August there is a sense of decay? I have never read such rubbish. You complain about lack of heat yet you say by August, the second warmest month of the year and holds the UK national record, there is a sense of decay? Well you will never be pleased, ever.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

By August there is a sense of decay? I have never read such rubbish. You complain about lack of heat yet you say by August, the second warmest month of the year and holds the UK national record, there is a sense of decay? Well you will never be pleased, ever.

I mean decay in the contryside. A hot day in June with everywhere bursting with colour has more appeal than a hot day in late August with the fields brown. I guess its the reminder that Autumn is fast approaching.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l

I mean decay in the contryside. A hot day in June with everywhere bursting with colour has more appeal than a hot day in late August with the fields brown. I guess its the reminder that Autumn is fast approaching.

August is perhaps being a bit early though for your description ... late September is when your description of the countryside comes into full swing.

August is Summer ... no question about it ... you wouldn't say that you can see the early warnings that Spring is arriving when it's January.

Posted

August is perhaps being a bit early though for your description ... late September is when your description of the countryside comes into full swing.

August is Summer ... no question about it ... you wouldn't say that you can see the early warnings that Spring is arriving when it's January.

In August the leaves turn a darker green. some dropping off already, damaged ones etc and the evenings get darker, there is a different light for certain, both directly from the Sun and in it's reflection off plants. Summer flowers begin to fade away and many go to seed, not all but a lot. Yes it is a great month but it doesn't have the light or promise that May and June have. A good May is a magical time for nature and observing it. Fills you and the land with energy, August is the late middle age of the Summer, May is a youthful period, a precious time that when it is missed is a pity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Any other springs where warmest max has been in March? sofar my highest max is 20.9C on 28th Mar, although not finished May yet, just wondered if its ever happened

Posted

Max so far here 22.1C in March, max higher in March than in May AND April? Creepy