Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2012

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Yes very noticable how spring has slowed right down and after seeing bees & ladybirds everywhere they've all but gone now (or are very sluggish).

Things in my garden are crawling along after the burst in March. The rain has been good for it and we've had some sun at times too. What it needs is some warmth to get things going again.

Sadly no sign of that at the moment but I'm sure it'll all catch up again when we finally get another warm spell.

Posted

The way things are panning out, the highest maximum for this April recorded in the UK could be lower than that was recorded in February and March.

Indeed after 17c being reached in February and 20c in March here the maximum this month has only been 13.5c! recorded on 1st April which was also the only day with reasonable amounts of sunshine.

Posted

The way things are panning out, the highest maximum for this April recorded in the UK could be lower than that was recorded in February and March.

In 32 years of records the lowest April absolute maximum here is 14.9C, set in both April 1986 and 1989. So far this month has only reached 14.8C on the 1st, so its a record that could potentially go. Its a far cry from the 16.2C reached in February and 20.2C in March.

Posted

I sowed barley at the end of April and it has taken about 4 weeks to emerge, twice the normal time.

At least there is quite a good take which was not the case the last two years due to drought in April.

Grass was growing strongly at the end of March but has hardly changed through April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

We had 22C in March, April nowhere near.

Posted

I sowed barley at the end of April and it has taken about 4 weeks to emerge, twice the normal time.

I'm perfectly happy with the weather as ii is right now, but if it affects the Maris Otter yield substantially I might,just might reconsider!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I'm sure things will catch up again at some point. But later it is the lower the crop yields will be.

A cool, cloudy summer would be terrible for food production I'm sure. Dry start to year slowing early growth then cool afterwards slowing things more.

A warm, sunny summer with decent rainfall is what we need.

Posted

never mind spring, the winter forecast is out!! -

http://theweatheralternative.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/overview-of-uk-winter-2012-13.html

i wasn't sure whether to laugh, cry or shoot myself in the face. mind you, not having a gun ruled out the third option...

Posted

Well this is just truly miserable April weather - the sort of thing that belongs in November or December.

25th April nearly lunchtime and its 6.8c the wind is howling and its raining again.

So far this month I've not had any t-shirt cycles to or from work nor has the heating been off bar when I'm not at home! Sat in the office in my jumper - the jumper I usually only need in winter.

Come on weather we get enough of this cack in the dark season - time for a change now!

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I agree Bott, A very Autumnal feel outside today.

Not good if out on a bike...rofl.gif

Posted

Actually, we didn't get much of this between December and March, did we? Winter was pretty sunny and March was record breaking.

But I agree, this spring has got to be one of the most uninteresting springs I've ever experienced, there is literally nothing to talk about here, just grey skies and occasional light showers. And yes I know it's different down south, blah blah blah, I'm not interested in what the weather is like 200 miles away.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

If April was January, judging by the current temperature it would be -1C in January in a similar situation (probably lower as it would be snowing).. below 0C is rare here in January in daytime. It is currently 6.2C, which must the the lowest late April daytime temperature for quite some time, if that is what it ends up as.

This is winter, we might be technically in Spring, but Meterologically this is very definitely winter.

Posted

But I agree, this spring has got to be one of the most uninteresting springs I've ever experienced, there is literally nothing to talk about here, just grey skies and occasional light showers. And yes I know it's different down south, blah blah blah, I'm not interested in what the weather is like 200 miles away.

I don't live 200 miles away from you and I don't agree with your analysis. I think this spring thus far has been more interesting than the last 3. Why? Because there has been more variety, from a warm dry sunny March to a cool cyclonic April, some places saw a notable April snowfall and now we are experiencing a notable low for the time of the year.

More variety than the last 3

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

At least there is quite a good take which was not the case the last two years due to drought in April.

Grass was growing strongly at the end of March but has hardly changed through April.

Several contractors /large farms still have 600 acres of cereals to sow in this area and some crops sown at the end of March which did not emerge before the cold April set in are rotting according to my agronomist.Means a bit of May sowing up here now and they are now up against daylength sensitive crops which will never reach their full potential.Large scale farming with its less than timely operations has led to a plateauing of crop yields since the late eighties and even falls in recent years of bad weather be it at sowing or harvest time. Accountants never take note of the weather!!!!!!

Edited by Northernlights

Posted

I don't live 200 miles away from you and I don't agree with your analysis. I think this spring thus far has been more interesting than the last 3. Why? Because there has been more variety, from a warm dry sunny March to a cool cyclonic April, some places saw a notable April snowfall and now we are experiencing a notable low for the time of the year.

More variety than the last 3

Yeah, they're all interesting I suppose, but I'm frustrated by the lack of visible weather other than overcast skies and a few light showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Check out the charts for early May 1960 and 1970. Quite similar charts to the ones predicted for next week albeit with a slightly more southerly flow. Temperatures into the low 20s for southern England. Just shows whats capable this time of year.

Posted

Low 20's in May.. in southern England.. wow, that's.. completely normal, even for here.

Posted

agree its nothing special but i would take it, better than 10c with a chilly breeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Low 20's in May.. in southern England.. wow, that's.. completely normal, even for here.

Yes i could have chosen warmer looking charts but i was looking for an indication of what we could expect next week. Condidering the depressed temperatures of April that will feel very warm.

Posted

Still well above average, even in the south.

Posted

Yes, for early May it's not really normal anywhere.

Still well above average, even in the south.

It's not normal in the sense that they occur frequently, but temperatures in the low 20's in early May is nothing unusual or noteworthy, we have gone an entire April here without breaking 20C even once, now that is very unusual.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

weve gone the whole of April without breaking 13C here - that is exceptional. Genuinely exceptional too.